Fleur-de-lis in the United States - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Thought it was a Louisiana particular thing but just did some basic research and realized it's used as a symbol in many U.S. districts.

I know the French sold America a mass amount of property and "helped" the U.S. Independence in the Revolution, but, seriously, what is with the signs? You'd think they would be replaced or altered beyond recognition of their French roots.

It is after all a symbol of French monarchy.

I think it's hilarious to have these symbols in a nation which especially the last 30 years has made fun of the french in general social circles.
By Suska
The lilly isn't a French national symbol, though its origins are French Royal family, at that time it wasn't France, it was Europe and the lilly represented fertility (good breeding practices) and agriculture (stable economy). You'd be closer to the mark to say the Fleur de Lis is a matriarchal symbol. The French-American antagonism is really short-sighted and wrong, stemming more from British Imperialism (British French rivalry that goes way back) and modern propaganda then any real French qualities or history.
By Stormsmith
pssst...it's an iris.

RG - Whether it started with the monarchy or not I couldn't say. Today, its recognised in France as its national flower.
By Suska
It's called a lilly of the valley. Arguably an iris.
By R_G
Suska wrote:The lilly isn't a French national symbol, though its origins are French Royal family, at that time it wasn't France, it was Europe and the lilly represented fertility (good breeding practices) and agriculture (stable economy). You'd be closer to the mark to say the Fleur de Lis is a matriarchal symbol. The French-American antagonism is really short-sighted and wrong, stemming more from British Imperialism (British French rivalry that goes way back) and modern propaganda then any real French qualities or history.

Well, I look at Quebec and think, is this what Americans what to be compared to?

Whether or not it's a French National symbol is besides the point, it's culturally French, and I don't see why, for instance, the flag of St. Louis bears the Fleur-de-lis.
By Suska
You never noticed America was a conglomeration of cultures? You always thought Frenchies were scum? Which is it?
By Stormsmith
R G
Most of our provincial flags include a reference to the old world. Quebec has the fluer-de-lis, most of the others have a cross of st george or andrew, a lion or the union jack. Loads of people like to retain a little of their family history. No end of pubs etc identify themselves as Irish or british, Germans do the whole Octoerfest thingee, we observe Chinese New Year etc. Adds a spark of colour to the world.
By franfran
The fleur-de-lis is there to signify a historical link to France, as explained in this excerpt from the Revised Code of the City of St. Louis:

The flag with a solid red background has two broad heraldic wavy bars, colored blue and white, extending from the left top and bottom corners toward left center where they join and continue as one to the center right edge. This symbolizes the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers. Over the point of confluence a round golden disk upon which is the fleur-de-lis of France (blue) calling attention to the French background of the early city and more particularly to St. Louis of France for whom the City is named. The golden disk represents the City and/or the Louisiana Purchase.
By Thunderhawk
French-American antagonism is really short-sighted and wrong, stemming more from British Imperialism

Its more likely stemming from the XYZ affair.
By The Immortal Goon
The US and France are very similar to each other. Sisters born in blood, or something else very poetic like this.

The entire idea of a "special relationship" between the UK and US started out in, what, 1950? The US has been at war with Britain more than any other country and never with France.

Regardless, the reason it's around the US is the same reason Los Angeles has a Spanish name.
By MB.
and "helped" the U.S. Independence in the Revolution,

It is a fact that France won the American revolution.
By ThomasNewton
The Immortal Goon wrote:Regardless, the reason it's around the US is the same reason Los Angeles has a Spanish name.

The Immortal Goon hit the nail on the head with this line. Good post Immortal! :)

I'm absolutely certain you could make this exact same topic about any number of traditional British, German, Irish, Spanish, Mexican, Chinese or Japanese symbols, among many others. Heck, you don't even have to count the whole United States, you could probably find them all in New York City! :lol:

Although many symbols may traditionally be associated with one country or way of life or another I don't think they are in any way exclusive. The freedom of speech in America pretty much ensures people can use whatever country's symbols they want.

And America make fun of France? I have no idea what you're talking about. Cheese eating surrender monkeys!
By MB.
And America make fun of France? I have no idea what you're talking about. Cheese eating surrender monkeys!

I know you are joking but I don't understand this part of the American solipsist myth at all. I take it it has something to do with 1) misunderstanding of French role in WW2 combined with 2) no idea what actaully happened in the American revolution, as expressed among idiots living in America.
By ThomasNewton
Well MB., I contribute it primarily to the fact the phrase "Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys" is absolutely hilarious and extremely fun to say.

I realize you're not a big fan of the States (you point it out at every opportunity) but that's the thing about freedom of speech: anyone can make fun of anyone for whatever reason they want. This includes basically every other country on the planet along with France. Similarly, although America is generally the only country to get any blame if you think we're the only country to make fun of France you are sadly mistaken.

You should come down here to Florida sometime, you might find you like it. It'd be warmer than Vancover, at least! :)
By MB.
I take issue with your thesis because I am in fact a huge fan of America.

What I'm not a fan of is stupidity.

You should come down here to Florida sometime, you might find you like it. It'd be warmer than Vancover, at least! :)

That's funny. Sure it's on my list right after Bermuda and Dubai.
By ThomasNewton
MB. wrote:I take issue with your thesis because I am in fact a huge fan of America.

MB. wrote:I didn't vote because fuck democracy.

MB. wrote:Osama's death is meaningless. Even if this was really the first time he was killed it still means nothing since The Long War won't end until the collapse of the American Empire.

I couldn't/didn't quote the comics you posted in the Satire board. Although I am glad I went through your recent posts because I found something we can both agree on-Uwe Boll is just awful.
By MB.
He is awful, but I don't understand why my recent posts are relevant...
By ThomasNewton
The other quotes I got on the first page of your recent posts. You don't see the discrepancy in "huge fan of America," "fuck democracy" and "collapse of the American Empire?"

I for one am a huge fan of Canada, but screw nations with providences and parliamentary governments can go to hell. Does that make it more clear? ;)

It is a conundrum though because even outside of the Uwe Boll posts you do seem to make very good points on occasion, but simultaneous have other posts like the aforementioned ones. You're a tough nut to crack, MB. :hmm:
By MB.
You don't see the discrepancy in "huge fan of America," "fuck democracy" and "collapse of the American Empire?"

Not at all. This is a critique of contemporary conditions rather than the ideology that America stands for. Furthermore, in the second quote you mentioned above I was critiquing Canadian democracy.

but screw nations with providences and parliamentary governments can go to hell. Does that make it more clear? ;)

Certainly. I agree with you assessment.

You're a tough nut to crack, MB. :hmm:

Unlike you I don't consider people 'nuts' that require 'cracking' you fucking fascist.
By Piano Red
R_G
Thought it was a Louisiana particular thing but just did some basic research and realized it's used as a symbol in many U.S. districts.

Wow...really?

You'd find it all over states like Missouri and Michigan. It's on the flags of two major universities in my hometown.

MB.
It is a fact that France won the American revolution.

It is also a fact that America won the French Revolution.

Mexico, LoL, why would anyone nuke Mexico. Drlee[…]

Major General Harri Ohra-Aho on Russia's decision […]

Uh...there isn't an 'England gene'...if that is w[…]

Back on topic , here are my results . Care-85 […]