How Did People Shift Occupations? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
How did people assume their occupations back in the 1600s?

In the Middle Ages society was fairly static and there was not much room for social mobility, as far as I know. If you were a serf that was what you were for the rest of your existence.

However I saw that by the 1600s you had artisans and school teachers. Those who lived in towns but who did not work the land. How did they get these occupations and what would their ancestors have done?

What I am trying to understand is if someone who was a school teacher in the 1600s could have previously been a farmer. Or was there a certain class of people who could change occupations?
No matter how structured a society is, they are not going to be blind to individuals with exceptional talents. They will seek those people out for advice and that person then will say, "I could make money off of this."
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls No. Your perception of it is not. I g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'd be totally happy for us to send ground troop i[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's promo[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]