Is Human Breeding possible? Where African slaves bred during their captivity? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
My question is this; number one is it possible to breed human beings?
Since we can mate all year round, and even slaves have had much more opportunity to freely matedoes this make it that much harder/impossible. So taking the example of the American south, were there attempts to breed slaves to produce better workers?

Related information is welcome.
Oxymoron wrote:My question is this; number one is it possible to breed human beings?
Since we can mate all year round, and even slaves have had much more opportunity to freely matedoes this make it that much harder/impossible. So taking the example of the American south, were there attempts to breed slaves to produce better workers?

Related information is welcome.

My guess is that you've never watched an NFL or NBA game.
In principle yes but it takes a lot of generations of deliberate breeding on large scales to do anything more than cosmetic. Human generation times are too long for this to be practically done and too long for it to have been done in the time period of American slavery.

We're talking only 9-10 generations in a large diverse population so there simply isn't time for any systematic changes even if there was a very deliberate coordinated campaign to do so.
What do you mean by "bred?"

If you mean were they raped, yes, yes they were.

If you mean were they collectively put into cramped corners and ended up fucking after so long, that typically happens with everybody in every station of life. Surely you've had a job or been in school.

This said, that we also know that slaves would frequently abort their pregnancies, kill themselves, and even poison their own children to spare them the life of a slave.

Part of the reason that the Atlantic slave trade was so expansive was because a lot of them died and it didn't matter how many were lost as it was cheaper to go get more than to keep slaves in safe conditions. In 1833, when the British outlawed slavery and tried to police the slave trade (conveniently after they had been kicked out of most of their slave colonies) there was a forced attempt to create more slaves in the given area. If you look at the US census from that time on, you can see how the categorization of what constitutes a black person continues to exist as American ships came in for a bit—but then rather quickly fall to the, "one drop rule," as slaves become more scarce and then outlawed entirely:

Pew wrote:In the 1850 census, enumerators were instructed to record blacks, mulattos (generally defined as someone who is black and at least one other race), black slaves, and mulatto slaves separately. In 1890, the racial categories of “quadroon” (defined as one-fourth black blood) and “octoroon” (one-eighth or any trace of black blood) were introduced. In 1930, for example, the “one-drop rule” included in enumerator instructions said that “a person of mixed White and Negro blood was to be returned as Negro, no matter how small the percentage of Negro blood.”

By 1890 there is no slavery, but there is a legal category that all people of African ancestry at all must fall into, reflecting the fact that the human breeding you're speaking of, was almost certainly white master raping black slave and then deciding whether their heirs were "legitimate" or slave. As noted:

Ibid wrote:It was not until 1960 that people could select their own race. Prior to that, an individual’s race was determined by census takers, known as enumerators.

This being all said, the OP and the responses, sans Decky, look to have been made with no research or knowledge and typed with one hand.

mikema63 wrote:In principle yes but it takes a lot of generations of deliberate breeding on large scales to do anything more than cosmetic. Human generation times are too long for this to be practically done and too long for it to have been done in the time period of American slavery.

We're talking only 9-10 generations in a large diverse population so there simply isn't time for any systematic changes even if there was a very deliberate coordinated campaign to do so.

Fredrick Douglass was produced in one generation (half-White). A quadroon, two generations, octoroon three generations. Slaves were valuable property, costing as much as a house. They weren't generally abused because it diminished their value.
It is possible, our genes work the same way the genes of other animals do and other animals can be consciously bred and have been since the year dot.

One doesn't even necessarily need to reduce people to slavery to have enough control over them to cultivate their genes. Selective marriage licences might be enough. There may come a day where certain genes are weeded out through prohibiting carriers from procreating.

There is an american black comedian called Chris Rock who once asserted that blacks were subjected to some breeding; he claimed particularly buff blacks were put out to stud like a prized bull might be and that is why american blacks are such very accomplished athletes.

It doesn't seem impossible but who knows?
Suntzu wrote:Frederick Douglas was produced in one generation...would they abuse there [sic] horses?

What a great example. Frederick Douglas sure felt he was fortunate to have been a slave.

Frederick Douglas wrote:My first master's name was Anthony. I do not remember his first name. He was generally called Captain Anthony--a title which, I presume, he acquired by sailing a craft on the Chesapeake Bay. He was not considered a rich slaveholder. He owned two or three farms, and about thirty slaves. His farms and slaves were under the care of an overseer. The overseer's name was Plummer. Mr. Plummer was a miserable drunkard, a profane swearer, and a savage monster. He always went armed with a cowskin and a heavy cudgel. I have known him to cut and slash the women's heads so horribly, that even master would be enraged at his cruelty, and would threaten to whip him if he did not mind himself. Master, however, was not a humane slaveholder. It required extraordinary barbarity on the part of an overseer to affect him. He was a cruel man, hardened by a long life of slaveholding. He would at times seem to take great pleasure in whipping a slave. I have often been awakened at the dawn of day by the most heart-rending shrieks of an own aunt of mine, whom he used to tie up to a joist, and whip upon her naked back till she was literally covered with blood. No words, no tears, no prayers, from his gory victim, seemed to move his iron heart from its bloody purpose. The louder she screamed, the harder he whipped; and where the blood ran fastest, there he whipped longest. He would whip her to make her scream, and whip her to make her hush; and not until overcome by fatigue, would he cease to swing the blood-clotted cowskin. I remember the first time I ever witnessed this horrible exhibition. I was quite a child, but I well remember it. I never shall forget it whilst I remember any thing. It was the first of a long series of such outrages, of which I was doomed to be a witness and a participant. It struck me with awful force. It was the blood-stained gate, the entrance to the hell of slavery, through which I was about to pass. It was a most terrible spectacle. I wish I could commit to paper the feelings with which I beheld it.

This occurrence took place very soon after I went to live with my old master, and under the following circumstances. Aunt Hester went out one night,--where or for what I do not know,--and happened to be absent when my master desired her presence. He had ordered her not to go out evenings, and warned her that she must never let him catch her in company with a young man, who was paying attention to her, Had he been a man of pure morals himself, he might have been thought interested in protecting the innocence of my aunt; but those who knew him will not suspect him of any such virtue. Before he commenced whipping Aunt Hester, he took her into the kitchen, and stripped her from neck to waist, leaving her neck, shoulders, and back, entirely naked. He then told her to cross her hands, calling her at the same time a d--d b--h. After crossing her hands, he tied them with a strong rope, and led her to a stool under a large hook in the joist, put in for the purpose. He made her get upon the stool, and tied her hands to the hook. She now stood fair for his infernal purpose. Her arms were stretched up at their full length, so that she stood upon the ends of her toes. He then said to her, "Now, you d--d b--h, I'll learn you how to disobey my orders!" and after rolling up his sleeves, be commenced to lay on the heavy cowskin, and soon the warm, red blood (amid heart-rending shrieks from her, and horrid oaths from him) came dripping to the floor. I was so terrified and horror-stricken at the sight, that I hid myself in a closet, and dared not venture out till long after the bloody transaction was over.

[the slave's] monthly allowance of food, and their yearly clothing. The men and women slaves received, as their monthly allowance of food, eight pounds of pork, or its equivalent in fish, and one bushel of corn meal Their yearly clothing consisted of two coarse linen shirts, one pair of linen trousers, like the shirts, one jacket, one pair of trousers for winter, made of coarse negro cloth, one pair of stockings, and one pair of shoes; the whole of which could not have cost more than seven dollars. The allowance of the slave children was given to their mothers, or the old women having the care of them. The children unable to work in the field had neither shoes, stockings, jackets, nor trousers, given to them; their clothing consisted of two coarse linen shirts per year. When these failed them, they went naked until the next allowance-day. Children from seven to ten years old, of both sexes, almost naked, might be seen at all seasons of the year.

There were no beds given the slaves, unless one coarse blanket be considered such, and none but the men and women had these. This, however, is not considered a very great privation. They find less difficulty from the want of beds, than from the want of time to sleep; for when their day's work in the field is done, the most of them having their washing, mending, and cooking to do, and having few or none of the ordinary facilities for doing either of these, very many of their sleeping hours are consumed in preparing for the field the coming day; and when this is done, old and young, male and female, married and single, drop down side by side, on one common bed,--the cold, damp floor,--each covering himself or herself with their miserable blankets; and here they sleep till they are summoned to the field by the driver's horn. At the sound of this, all must rise, and be off to the field. There must be no halting; every one must be at his or her post; and woe betides them who hear not this morning summons to the field; for if they are not awakened by the sense of hearing, they are by the sense of feeling: no age nor sex finds any favor. Mr. Severe, the overseer, used to stand by the door of the quarter, armed with a large hickory stick and heavy cowskin, ready to whip any one who was so unfortunate as not to hear, or, from any other cause, was prevented from being ready to start for the field at the sound of the horn.

Mr. Severe was rightly named: he was a cruel man. I have seen him whip a woman, causing the blood to run half an hour at the time; and this, too, in the midst of her crying children, pleading for their mother's release. He seemed to take pleasure in manifesting his fiendish barbarity. Added to his cruelty, he was a profane swearer. It was enough to chill the blood and stiffen the hair of an ordinary man to hear him talk. Scarce a sentence escaped him but that was commenced or concluded by some horrid oath. The field was the place to witness his cruelty and profanity. His presence made it both the field of blood and of blasphemy. From the rising till the going down of the sun, he was cursing, raving, cutting, and slashing among the slaves of the field, in the most frightful manner.

Oh wait, you have done no research, know nothing, and are relying on your precious snowflake feels :lol:

As for Decky, he didn't sound like he was masturbating while writing. That's why he got the exemption.
Despite the frequent breakup of families by sale, African-Americans managed to forge strong and durable family and kin ties within the institution of slavery. Most slaves married and lived with the same spouse until death, and most slave children grew up in two parent households. To sustain a sense of family identity, slaves often named their children after parents, grandparents, recently deceased relatives, and other kin. Slaves passed down family names to their children, usually the name of an ancestor's owner rather than their current owner's. The strength of slave families is nowhere more evident than in the advertisements slaveowners posted for runaway slaves. Over a third of the advertisements indicate that fugitives left an owner to visit a spouse, a child, or other relatives.
http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/disp_t ... &psid=3042

It seems that most slaves got married and procreated even without their owners' interventions. But enslaved people could not legally marry in any American colony or state. 20 percent of slave marriages were destroyed by sale and 30 percent of slave children grew up without one or both parents. A father in “abroad marriages” might live several miles away from his family on a distant plantation and he could walk to see his family on Saturday evenings.

So @skinster will indeed on watching rape videos[…]

Who needs a wall? We have all those land mines ju[…]

Puffer Fish, as a senior (and olde) member of this[…]

As someone that pays very close attention to Amer[…]