French revolution impact - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By David
Is it the most important event in the history of the world? I'm going to have to go with "no" on that one. It's hard to evaluate what effect it has had on my daily life since I'm not more than 350 years old.
By Konrad Lorenz
Is it most important event for everyone

As far as history goes, it was something that helped shape our current world, whether or not we recognize the impact.

Take for instance the influence the revolution had on our nation and vice versa.

It is tough to determine the most important event in the history of humankind, since, as they say, all is connected.
By DemocraticOrder
I probably agree that the French Revolution is one of the most important events, maybe most important of the past 300 years.

Reason why

1) French Revolution brought the idea of Nationalism
2) French Revolution led to about 200 years of war in Europe after. All wars from WWII can be linked with the French Revolution and it can probably be argued the Cold War.
By Liberal
The French Revolution had great impact on the european and world history.
It ment an end(or begguning of the end) for many ancient regimes in Europe. It opened the gates for the spread of liberal ideas trought Europe. The absolutistic monarchies saw the danger and created the HOly allience, which, however, was not capable to stop the vawe of freedom.
THe Revolution had it`s mistakes as well. The radical ideas of Rousseau, Mably, Morelli, Saint-Just and many others were "alpha and omega" for many revolutionary leaders in France. This resulted with many lost lives, 150 years long political instability of France and some neighbouring countries and creation of antagonism between them.
By glinert
Zhou Enlai said when asked how he felt about effects of French Revolution, he said, "We will have to wait and see."
By Captain Hat
I agree with TAL. Although the French Revolution spread ideas of liberty and nationalism, it also gave way to one of the most autocratic regimes in history. The level of absolutism in Napoleon's empire went further than that of Louis XVI. In a sense, Napoleon Bonaparte was the first modern military dictator.

Personally, I don't believe the ideals of the French Revolution impact me at all, since I live in the US. The ideals of the American Revolution are better felt here. The ideals most subscribe to in America, are Jeffersonian. However, we live in a Hamiltonian world.
By Comrade Ogilvy
Captain Hat wrote:I agree with TAL. Although the French Revolution spread ideas of liberty and nationalism, it also gave way to one of the most autocratic regimes in history. The level of absolutism in Napoleon's empire went further than that of Louis XVI. In a sense, Napoleon Bonaparte was the first modern military dictator.
Pssht...Cromwell predated Napolean by well over a century, and was more a military dictator at that. He didn't crown himself emperor, he called himself the Lord-Protector. Plus, he divided Britain in twelve military districts, each ruled by a major general (a formula later copied by the victorious Federal Army during Reconstruction...).

The French Revolution could properly be called the single most important event of modern history, though not in history. It opened the gates to mass democracy, nationalism, the messianic state, totalitarianism, and total war.
By David
Is that picture of Buonaparte mirrored? The N is backward.
By Thucydides
The American Lion wrote:No because look what came after the French Revolution:

He was our ally by the way. He also gave us a damn good deal on a big chunk of land. Europe invaded France first not the other way round.
By Cap
David wrote:Is that picture of Buonaparte mirrored? The N is backward.

Well. It appears you've answered your own question. :p

Cap 8)
By Liberal
Napoleon opened the way for the unification of Germany, since he, himself contributed on an establishemnt of a allience of german states.
By Absolute Zero
Thucydides wrote:He was our ally by the way. He also gave us a damn good deal on a big chunk of land. Europe invaded France first not the other way round.

Don't confuse Tallyrand's ignorance for Napoleon's generosity.
By bradley

the question wasn't "was it an overwhelmingly good thing?"

it sure as hell was significant though: i'm with daevonnaex here.
By glinert
Napoleon you must remember was not as power hungry as many seem to make him. He spread liberal ideas throughout Europe. Following Aleksandr who fought Napoleon there was incident in Russia which really shows this.

After Aleksandr, Nicholas came to power under much civil war and dispute. This dispute concerned creation of constitutional monarchy because many Russian soldiers while fighting Napoleon picked up ideas of liberty and such. Remember we led our way down street in France in front of all other European leaders on Napoleon's first expulsion.

However Nicholas refused and this revolt called famous Decembrist revolt.

Napoleon began his military career when all European powers fearing France's radical new ideas invaded. He fought all of them off and then decided to secure victory by marching into them. This idea that Napoleon dreamed of world domination really untrue. Napoleon fought who he must have.
By Stalin the Ironfist

Ahh yes, Napoleon, He made many accomplishments in Military Warfare and orginization. He was an emperor, but his people loved him, I might dare to venture to say that Stalin was very much like this man except a bit taller and still allowed democracy and was also champion of the people and didnt loose :evil:

You must admit though all men of power have at least a few things in common.
By Potemkin
glinert wrote:Napoleon you must remember was not as power hungry as many seem to make him. He spread liberal ideas throughout Europe. Following Aleksandr who fought Napoleon there was incident in Russia which really shows this.

After Aleksandr, Nicholas came to power under much civil war and dispute. This dispute concerned creation of constitutional monarchy because many Russian soldiers while fighting Napoleon picked up ideas of liberty and such. Remember we led our way down street in France in front of all other European leaders on Napoleon's first expulsion.

However Nicholas refused and this revolt called famous Decembrist revolt.

Yes, I think there is a causal connection between the French Revolution of 1789 and the Russian Revolution of 1917 (the February one, at least). It was the invasion and occupation of Paris by Alexander I's Russian army which brought back liberal and radical ideas into Russia (at least among the officer class). This, as you said, culminated in the abortive Decembrist Uprising, which acted throughout the 19th century as a beacon of Revolution, an ideal to aim towards. The long, slow collapse of Tsarist absolutism began in 1812, finally happening in February 1917, and was a direct consequence of the French Revolution. Of course, there was a second Revolution in Russia a few months later. What was it called again... oh yes, the "October" Revolution. :D

Napoleon began his military career when all European powers fearing France's radical new ideas invaded. He fought all of them off and then decided to secure victory by marching into them. This idea that Napoleon dreamed of world domination really untrue. Napoleon fought who he must have.

True. But the reactionary powers in Europe regarded themselves as having been provoked. As Danton said in 1793, "We have flung a challenge at the feet of the crowned heads of Europe - the head of a king!"
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The far left does not want another October 7. No […]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]