help needed please...re golden age. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
hello..i am new here.

i hope it is ok to start with a question.

i am trying to find some information on a reference to the 'golden age' of politics, 1834-1867.

i am guessing it is to do with franchising.

has anyone got any idea what exactly it is referring to please?

thanks in advance.
By shinsheen
oh, i should have said, it is referring to british politics.

i have just noticed the words, 'say hi and be nice to me' written next to my post.

i have no idea how that got there, sorry.
By the new state
It means you're a noob.
By Falx
It means you're a noob.
And that never changes for some people...

You would be refering to the Victorian era, here's a link
By shinsheen
oh, well yes i am a new one.

i have limited time at the moment but what i have had a chance to look at seems very interesting.

thank you very much for that link..it was very good of you.
By shinsheen
thank you very much for those links too.

i do hope it was not too rude of me to start posting on here with a question.

thank you again.
By 1917
It is not rude to start with a question at all! at least I hope not, I think my first post was a question.

Welcome to the forum!.
By shinsheen
thank you for the welcome ..

i now have time for a proper look around :)
By shinsheen
oh, i should have said, this golden age.

for the life of me i cannot find any reference to it. i spotted a one liner in a book that mentioned it but no details.
my guess is that the legislature and the executive balanced out at the time quite nicely...earl grey was stopped in his tracks by the tories who dominated the house of lords....oh, and it is 1832-1867...and i can think of another couple of small almost insignificant reasons as to why it would be called the golden age.

can anyone think of any other reason please?
i know queen victoria kept her hand in with the politics of the day at the time until albert died so that might have made a difference...but it does not seem a strong enough answer.

any ideas?....anyone....please.

it is of great importance and i need to have an answer by saturday night :|
By 1917
Is it anything to do with the massive social changes during this time?, the industrialisation, and the resulting need for poverty relief, the problems with Ireland and home-rule, Roman-Catholic Emancipation, things like that?.

Also the great speeches that made names and reputation?.
By shinsheen
hello again 1917, thanks for the reply.

speeches?...ah...that is good pointer...i will go and look for some.

thanks.
By 1917
Any Joy?.
By shinsheen
hi 1917..

well...strangely enough....i found enough references before saturday night to make a good enough attempt at the answer...i will know when i get my essay back if i hit the nail on the head or not.

but...getting info together for another essay i realsed the significance of the end of individualism and the start of collectivism....so i think that is what it was [might have been...hopefully]...referring to...in a roundabout way.

i think...[in my infinite wisdom...lol]...that queen vic and albert helped the period feel like the golden era...amongst other things.

i only started to study politics recently...so i will apologise in advance as i will no doubt get a lot wrong...lol

anyway...thanks again for the lead.,,,turns out...lloyd george made some great speeches at the turn of the 20th century....i will be using one in particular for this essay.

thanks again.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]