To those who admire Lincoln... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Ixa
here is a quotation:

"I can conceive of no greater calamity than the assimilation of the negro into our social and political life as our equal."
-Abraham Lincoln.

>: >: >: >:

I think he only liberated black slaves so that they could be enlisted in the army to be used as cannon fodder.
By Red_Army
Yeah, then he wanted to send them all to Liberia. He was a racist thats for sure.
By Ombrageux
Mind you, LOTS of people were racist and every Westerner was chauvinist back then.

You have to put things into context.
By Clann
every Westerner was chauvinist back then

Quite the generalisation.
By Russkie
The American goverment still teaches children that Aberham was a hero and wanted to free the slaves and have them live in prosperity. :roll:
By Macsen
"I can conceive of no greater calamity than the assimilation of the Negro into our social and political life as our equal. . . We can never attain the ideal union our fathers dreamed, with millions of an alien, inferior race among us, whose assimilation is neither possible nor desirable." - Abraham Lincoln, after signing the Emancipation Proclamation

More quotyness. :)
By C-Kokos
Was Lincoln a Jew?
By Schrödinger's Kitty
@ Russkie

Like they teach the lies about the start of their civil war, in the first place.
Even though the Confederation of Southern States were pro-slavery, that wasn't the reason for the war at all. They were perfectly within their rights for self-determination. The Imperialist Federals were determined to secure their resourses, among other reasons. The winners of that war are the direct decendents of the present government in power in the USA. That presents us with a good relative perspective on current events.
By | I, CWAS |
The winners of that war are the direct decendents of the present government in power in the USA

:?:
By | I, CWAS |
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but are you talking about the civil war? How can the lincoln government be descendents of the present power?
By Apollos
Was Lincoln a Jew?

Is this some failed attempt at humor wrapped in flagrant anti-semitism, or do you have ADD?

Anyway, most people were racist back then. Would you like to know why? Read the book that encouraged racism more than anything:
On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection or the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life by Charles Darwin

His racist thoughts continued even stronger in both the works of Thomas Huxley (aptly nick-named "Darwin's Bulldog) and also in his own work, The Descent of Man.
By Luke
How was Darwin racist?

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but are you talking about the civil war? How can the lincoln government be descendents of the present power?

She means the inverse, that the present administration is a direct descendent of the Lincoln administration.
By Russkie
So the conclusion is that the American civil war had absolutely nothing to do with freeing the slaves whatsoever.
By Apollos
How was Darwin racist?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some comments from good 'ole Charlie's later works:

Their mental characteristics are likewise very distinct; chiefly as it would appear in their emotional, but partly in their intellectual faculties. Everyone who has had the opportunity of comparison must have been struck with the contrast between the taciturn, even morose, aborigines of S. America and the light-hearted, talkative negroes.

At some future period not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilised races of man will almost certainly exterminate and replace the savage races throughout the world. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes...will no doubt be exterminated. The break between man and his nearest Allies will then be wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilised state, as we may hope, even than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as the baboon, instead of as now between the Negro or Australian and the gorilla.

And a pretty blunt comment by his "bulldog":

No rational man, cognizant of the facts, believes that the average Negro is the equal, still less the superior, of the white man.
By Red_Army
Wow, in the Darwin video I'm watching in biology, none of this comes up. What a nazi, I'm more skeptical of him now.
By Ixa
What a nazi,
He was a liberal in politisc.
I'm more skeptical of him now.
Are you serious?
By the monkey
Basically every westerner from the 40s and back was a racist. Deal with it.
By Potemkin
Wow, in the Darwin video I'm watching in biology, none of this comes up. What a nazi, I'm more skeptical of him now.

Darwin was not a Nazi. Nazis only existed after about 1918. Darwin was simply repeating the received 'wisdom' of his time and place. He was an upper-class British gentleman of the mid-19th century, and he seems to have shared all of the prejudices and received ideas of his class. Almost all people of his class and nationality believed the same things, including the Creationists who opposed Darwin and Huxley.

And why would Darwin's now-outmoded racial beliefs be relevant to a modern biology lesson? And in what sense are you 'skeptical' of him? Are you skeptical of his as a person, or skeptical of his evolutionary theory? If so, then Apollos' tactic of trying to discredit Darwinism by smearing Darwin himself has clearly succeeded.

You should also be aware that Apollos is a Christian Creationist. He therefore has an animus against Darwin, and is trying to smear him in order to, by association, discredit the theory of evolution.
By Potemkin
Basically every westerner from the 40s and back was a racist. Deal with it.

Quoted for truth.

@FiveofSwords What point was that? Weber? W[…]

^ Is the story of freed Liberians even seen as set[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

still, Compared to the corrupt Putin´s familie s […]

World War II Day by Day

May 14, Tuesday Germany takes Holland At dawn[…]