200th Anniversary of Trafalgar. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Maxim Litvinov
England expects that every man will do his duty and commemorate this historic day.

Thankyou, Comrade.

Kiss me, Boony!
By MB.
I shouted "England Expects" in a history lecture today and the Prof laughed. I don't think she got it though- I'll up the audio file in a sec...

EDIT:

England Expects.

It's poor quality, and quite loud so I'd keep the speakers down.
By Maxim Litvinov
Goodbye Lord Nelson
Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to hold yourself
While those around you crawled

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the rain set in
And I would have liked to have known you
But I was just a kid
Your candle burned out long before
Your legend ever did.
By Stipe
damn Rosbifs...
By Titus Andronicus
Albeit being some late, I do raise a mug of grog to the memory of all thsoe who fought, died, lived, won, lose, and shaped the history of their nations for a century and more...

:cheers:

After a cannonball tore his leg right below the buttock, Gravina, captain of the spanish flagship, the San Juan Nepomuceno, told to his crew: "Esto no es nada. Siga el fuego". ("That's nothing. Keep the fire"). He died five minutes later and the San Juan eventually surrendered to five British ships, which had fired around 3,000 rounds on it. The ship was surrendered to the British seizure party by a sergeant, the higher ranking officer who still was in shape to welcome the victors.
By MB.

By Clann
To hell with him, glad he's dead.
By Boondock Saint
Kiss me, Boony!

*smooch*

To hell with him, glad he's dead.

The Irish are amusing.

Great applause to the fine English victory over the French and Spanish!
By redstarline
Re the English vcitory: Apart from the 700 English, Irish, Scots and Welsh, 18 different nationalities were represented on the Victory, at the Battle of Trafalgar. From Manx, to American to West Indian.
By PittofBritain
That's why we prefer to call it a British victory.

To Lord Nelson, bravest of the brave!
By Rifleman
Indeed, there were even Frenchmen serving in the British fleet. Nelsons valet was an Italian (who forgot the sword when he dressed Nelson that day, hence Horatio went into battle and died improperly dressed).

At the base of Nelsons column is a bronze relief of the moment of death, the scene includes a black sailor, and at that time the Royal Navy was about 30% made up of foreigners many not European.

@FiveofSwords wrote: More genuine anthropologi[…]

There are some here who are applying for permanen[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So if they are disarming the Ukrainian army why i[…]

The IDF did not raid the hospital until February 1[…]