The Lincoln Cult's Latest Cover-Up - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The Lincoln Cult’s Latest Cover-Up

by Thomas J. DiLorenzo

On July 19 the Associated Press and Reuter’s reported an “amazing find” at a museum in Allentown, Pennsylvania: A copy of a letter dated March 16, 1861, and signed by Abraham Lincoln imploring the governor of Florida to rally political support for a constitutional amendment that would have legally enshrined slavery in the U.S. Constitution.

Actually, the letter is not at all “amazing” to anyone familiar with the real Lincoln. It was a copy of a letter that was sent to the governor of every state urging them all to support the amendment, which had already passed the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, that would have made southern slavery constitutionally “irrevocable,” to use the word that Lincoln used in his first inaugural address. The amendment passed after the lower South had seceded, suggesting that it was passed with almost exclusively Northern votes. Lincoln and the entire North were perfectly willing to enshrine slavery forever in the Constitution. This is one reason why the great Massachusetts libertarian abolitionist Lysander Spooner, author of The Unconstitutionality of Slavery, hated and despised Lincoln and his entire gang.

The Lincoln cult knows about all of this, but works diligently to keep it out of view of the general public. The fact that news organizations reported the “find,” however, creates a problem for the cult. A cover-up/excuse-making campaign must commence.

The document was found in the Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, Historical Society archives in Allentown, Pennsylvania. The director of the Society, Joseph Garrera, described in the press as “a Lincoln scholar,” immediately announced that the document is not at all important, since such documents are “a dime a dozen.”

Well, not really. Most of these kinds of documents have been meticulously whitewashed from the historical record. When they do surface and are made public, the Lincoln cult gets to work burying them in an avalanche of excuses designed to fog the real meaning of the documents in the minds of the average American. Garrerra’s statement is the first attempt at this.

Every once in a while, though, a cult member (or an aspiring cult member) slips up and spills the beans. A recent example is the “political biography” of Lincoln recently published by the confessed plagiarist Doris Kearns-Goodwin entitled Team of Rivals. This is Goodwin’s first publication on Lincoln, and she has apparently not been filled in on the standard modus operandi of cover-up and obfuscation that is the hallmark of “Lincoln scholarship.” She discusses the above-mentioned “first thirteenth amendment” in some detail (as I do in my forthcoming book, Lincoln Unmasked: What You’re Not Supposed to Know About Dishonest Abe, to be published in October).

Goodwin dug into the same original sources that all Lincoln scholars are familiar with, but unlike most others, she includes the information in her book. Not only did Lincoln support this slavery forever amendment, but the amendment was his idea from the very beginning. He was the secret author of it, orchestrating the politics of its passage from Springfield before he was even inaugurated. Not only that, but he also instructed his political compatriot, William Seward, to work on federal legislation that would outlaw the various personal liberty laws that existed in some of the Northern states. These laws were used to attempt to nullify the federal Fugitive Slave Act. As explained by Goodwin (p. 296): “He [Lincoln] instructed Seward to introduce these proposals in the Senate Committee of Thirteen without indicating they issued from Springfield. The first resolved that ‘the Constitution should never be altered so as to authorize Congress to abolish or interfere with slavery in the states.’ Another recommendation that he instructed Seward to get through Congress was that ‘all state personal liberty laws in opposition to the Fugitive Slave Law be repealed.’”

Goodwin reveals all of this because the theme of her book is what a great political conniver and manipulator Lincoln was and this, of course, is a good example of such deceitfulness. In the eyes of a lifelong statist like Goodwin, lying, deception and fakery are praiseworthy traits for a politician. She praises him for his pro-slavery amendment because it supposedly “held the Republican Party together.”

Lincoln’s efforts in this regard were enormously popular in the North, and especially in Boston. A thoroughly racist society, the vast majority of northerners wanted slavery to persist in the South because that would keep black people in the South. They opposed the personal liberty laws for the same reason: They wanted any escaped slaves to be eliminated from their midst. Thus, Goodwin writes of how, when Seward made a speech announcing these two proposals (the constitutional amendment and the abolition of personal liberty laws) in Boston, “the galleries erupted in thunderous applause.” Lincoln’s political handler and campaign manager, the thoroughly corrupt New York City politician Thurlow Weed, “loved the speech,” writes Goodwin, again making the point that the proposals were good politics because they “kept his fractious party together.”

Lincoln’s slavery forever amendment read as follows:

“No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State. (See U.S. House of Representatives, 106th Congress, 2nd Session, The Constitution of the United States of America: Unratified Amendments, Doc. No. 106-214).

In his first inaugural address Dishonest Abe explicitly supported this amendment while pretending that he hardly knew anything about it (i.e., lying). What he said was: “I understand a proposed amendment to the Constitution . . . has passed Congress, to the effect that the Federal Government shall never interfere with the domestic institutions of the states, including that of persons held to service.” Then, while “holding such a provision to be implied constitutional law, I have no objection to its being made express and irrevocable.”

Lincoln was not an abolitionist and, unlike Lysander Spooner, he believed that slavery was already constitutional. Nevertheless, he also favored making it “express and irrevocable.”

The director of the museum in Allentown where Lincoln’s letter to the governors was recently discovered made a feeble attempt to dismiss this entire episode as unimportant by saying that Lincoln was only being “pragmatic.” Actually, exactly the opposite is true. Another reason why abolitionists like Spooner detested Lincoln, Seward, and the rest is that he understood that their opposition to slavery was always theoretical or rhetorical. They never came up with any kind of pragmatic plan to end slavery peacefully, as the real pragmatists – the British, Spanish, Dutch, French, and Danes – had done. Indeed, the political leaders of these countries could have provided the Lincoln regime with a detailed roadmap regarding how to go about it. But as Lincoln repeatedly said, his agenda was always, first and foremost, to destroy the secession movement, not to interfere with slavery. And as this episode reveals, for once his actions matched his words.

July 24, 2006

Thomas J. DiLorenzo [send him mail] professor of economics at Loyola College in Maryland and the author of The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War, (Three Rivers Press/Random House). His next book, to be published in October, is Lincoln Unmasked: What You’re Not Supposed To Know about Dishonest Abe (Crown Forum/Random House).

[url="http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo104.html"]Source.[/url]
Last edited by Ixa on 26 Jul 2006 13:15, edited 2 times in total.
By Verv
thank you for posting this. i feel that many historic characters are inaccurately presented in positive lights. i actually played abe lincoln in a 3rd grade play. i will burn my fake beard today.
By Attila The Nun
The goal of Lincoln, however abolitionists he may be, was to preserve the Union, especially so early in the war. Many abolitionists didn't want to abolish slavery directly, believing that simply containing it would let it die out naturally. Of course, he eventually did play a signifigant role in abolishing slavery when the time suited it. Timing is everything in politics.
By Ixa
His idea was to free the slaves so that they could be sent to Africa.
By Zagadka
Actually, the letter is not at all “amazing” to anyone familiar with the real Lincoln.

No, this is well known to anyone familiar with real American history. Lincoln was an ass. As a younger man, he had attended many slave sales in the south. He was never an abolitionist, never advocated abolition, and never even made it an issue until well into the Civil War when he desperately played to an audience for more recruits.
By | I, CWAS |
Textbooks, and public schools, are dedicated to propping up the Lincoln myth, another example of the utter uselessness of public education. I have never seen a historical interest group with so much power and influence as the Lincolnistas.

"My paramount object...is to save the union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the union without freeing any slave I would do it..."

"You and we are different races. We have between us a broader difference than exists between almost any other 2 races. Even when you cease to be slaves, you are yet far removed from being placed on an equality with the white race. you are cut off from many of the advantages which the other race enjoys. It is better for us both to be separated."-Abraham Lincoln, during a meeting with free Negro leaders, at the White House, August, 1862

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races-that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the 2 races living together on terms of social or political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion that I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position that the Negro should be denied everything.

". . . Notwithstanding all this, there is no reason in the world why the Negro is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence-the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the white man. I agree with Judge Douglas he is not my equal in many respects-certainly not in color, perhaps not in moral or intellectual endowment. But in the right to eat the bread, without leave of anybody else, which his own hand earns, he is my equal, and the equal of Judge Douglas, and the equal of every living man."-Abraham Lincoln, debating with Douglas in Illinois, 1858
By Zagadka
Textbooks, and public schools, are dedicated to propping up the Lincoln myth, another example of the utter uselessness of public education. I have never seen a historical interest group with so much power and influence as the Lincolnistas.

Funnily enough, I learned the "horrible truth" about Lincoln at... a public high school! What did your private high school teach?
By | I, CWAS |
Funnily enough, I learned the "horrible truth" about Lincoln at... a public high school!

What was the name of the textbook?

What did your private high school teach?

A whole darn 3 week seminar on the Lincoln Myth. It was quite boring as the Catholics (Marianists) went over that stuff with us in junior high. I wouldn't have had to take it again if I attended a Marianist High School, but I went with to a Jesuit School.
By Verv
We should not prop up any myths at all, not even in the least; whether it is about a founding father or native americans.

A common myth is that native americans were hippies that had long hair, lived in the woods, and lived in total harmony with nature; there are numerous examples of the Plains Indians hunting in excess, of Canadian Indians destroying an entire ecosystem, and of course, of virtually all native groups minus some of the original Carribbean tribes being essentially as barbaric as natives everywhere through the practice of seasonal conflict and war and rape, treating women as cattle, etc.

Many wars were even started by Natives (King Philip's War) and the French looked on in disgust as the Iroquois waged a race war against the Huron.

However, public history would have you believe that we ought to have settled with the Natives and in reality we cheated these innocent hippies out of everything.
By Zagadka
We should not prop up any myths at all, not even in the least; whether it is about a founding father or native americans.

What a very simplistic statement.

However, public history would have you believe that we ought to have settled with the Natives and in reality we cheated these innocent hippies out of everything.

Um, no? We just outgunned them. We were about equally brutal, as all humans are.

"Public history" also records decimation of natural environments by the Anasazi, as well, not to mention the various Native wars between and with and alongside various European powers.
By Attila The Nun
No, this is well known to anyone familiar with real American history. Lincoln was an ass. As a younger man, he had attended many slave sales in the south. He was never an abolitionist, never advocated abolition, and never even made it an issue until well into the Civil War when he desperately played to an audience for more recruits.

That's a pretty big allegation. Now I'm willing to say that he wanted to preserve slavery at the start of the Civil War, but to say that he was pro-slavery is a bold statement. Care to show some evidence? Try to bring the context as well.
By Zagadka
but to say that he was pro-slavery is a bold statement. Care to show some evidence? Try to bring the context as well.

I never said he was pro-slavery. I said that he attended slave auctions, specifically and most famously when in New Orleans. As mentioned above, he leaned towards sending the slaves a'packin'.
By Attila The Nun
I never said he was pro-slavery. I said that he attended slave auctions, specifically and most famously when in New Orleans. As mentioned above, he leaned towards sending the slaves a'packin'.

Sending them to Liberia, although somewhat of a radical idea, is not actually horrible, especially when compared to slavery. It's not as progressive as the idea of just freeing them and giving them citizenship, but it's certainly not the bigoted answer everyone makes it appear to be.
By Zagadka
Sending them to Liberia, although somewhat of a radical idea, is not actually horrible, especially when compared to slavery. It's not as progressive as the idea of just freeing them and giving them citizenship, but it's certainly not the bigoted answer everyone makes it appear to be.

Global segregation = OK.
Domestic segregation = Bad.

?

Screw it, let's just practice strict ethnic eugenics!
By Nattering Nabob
...there are few historic figures who can stand up to true scrutiny...but claiming that there is some sort of conspiracy to shape history is pretty far fetched... :eek:
By Zagadka
but claiming that there is some sort of conspiracy to shape history is pretty far fetched...

I agree that there isn't one organized "conspiracy" to cover up facts, but mis-information and mis-education cascade over generations to change the popular subjective views of history, until Bush is able to proudly claim to the NAACP, "this is the party of Lincoln" as if that means the right does and has always supported African-American freedom... and they applaud him for it!
By Truthseeker
Attila The Nun wrote:
Now I'm willing to say that he wanted to preserve slavery at the start of the Civil War, but to say that he was pro-slavery is a bold statement. Care to show some evidence? Try to bring the context as well.

Just read the "emancipation proclaimation", it states that

all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free;

He was willing to leave it intact in ANY state that returned to the union.

He also in addition to favoring sending the slave to Liberia favored a gradual and VOLUNTARY freeing of slaves at such a rate that they could be deported as fast as they were freed.

The fact is that his hand was repeatedly forced or bypassed by a more radical and progressive congress.
By | I, CWAS |
...there are few historic figures who can stand up to true scrutiny...but claiming that there is some sort of conspiracy to shape history is pretty far fetched...

How is that far fetched? It happens all the time. Are you familiar with Ted Hughes/Sylvia Plath? He single handedly conspired to alter history (granted it is different than Lincoln, but shows it is commonplace). There are Lincoln Scholars, if he collapses many careers do also (hence the hidden agenda).
By The Immortal Goon
Textbooks, and public schools, are dedicated to propping up the Lincoln myth, another example of the utter uselessness of public education.

Really which elected schoolboards in which school districts in which counties in which states are these located in?

The public education system is hardly a single unit at all. To say that they're all pitching in for anything, let alone a conspiracy on this alleged scale, is beyond absurd.

-TIG :rockon:

The chimp question: https://www.newsweek.com/coul[…]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]