Was Slavery Really a Negative Thing? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I, of course, oppose slavery since it is non-consensual. But why is it when American slavery comes up the positives are ignored? Why did slaves and their descendents chose to stay in America? Is it because there were net benefits? Is it because they became addicted to freedom?
Last edited by | I, CWAS | on 16 Sep 2006 06:02, edited 2 times in total.
By Kon
Why is slaves and their descendents chose to stay in America? Is it because there were net benifits? Is it because they became addicted to freedom?

Or is it because their homes and villages were all uprooted by slave traders and sent to another country to do forced labour and they couldn't afford to return to their homeland?
By | I, CWAS |
Or is it because their homes and villages were all uprooted by slave traders and sent to another country to do forced labour and they couldn't afford to return to their homeland?

Who sold the slaves into slavery?
By Kon
Most sources I've read say warring tribes and arab slave raiders as well as euro colonists.
By | I, CWAS |
Most sources I've read say warring tribes and arab slave raiders as well as euro colonists.

So it was Africans and their neighbors that placed them in bondage?
By Kon
Apparently, hence why they stayed in the USA, they had no home to return to and no money to get there.
By | I, CWAS |
Apparently, hence why they stayed in the USA, they had no home to return to and no money to get there.

Yet why don't they [reparation seekers] blame (insert sellers) instead of seeking a free ride from hard working Americans?
By Kon
Because they live in America and it was the americans who purchased their ancestors.

Not that I support the reparations movement, people shouldnt pay for the sins of their fathers.
By | I, CWAS |
Because they live in America and it was the americans who purchased their ancestors.

Why does this outrank the people who enslaved and sold them? They could not have been bought if they wern't for sale.

Not that I support the reparations movement, people shouldnt pay for the sins of their fathers.

Why not?
By Kon
Why not?

Because, not matter how unfortunate the things my father did were it wasn't my fault that he did them.

I suppose if my family had owned slaves in the past and I had enough money I would give some of it to the ancestors, but I don't support people being forced to do so.
By Spin

What sources are those? The colonisation of Africa didn't start til long after slavery was illegal in much of Europe.
By | I, CWAS |
I suppose if my family had owned slaves in the past and I had enough money I would give some of it to the ancestors, but I don't support people being forced to do so.

Well this is a given since you are an anarchist, and it would require a government agency. Reparations are nonsense anyway.
By Attila The Nun
CWAS, you have yet to refute his claim on why the slaves stayed. YOu have merely sidetracked it with a debate on reperations.
By Attila The Nun
Questions are usually statements made questions so they can backtracked.

He made a statment in question form, probably not so he could backtrack, but it certainly displayed his beliefs. Quit playing dumb and answer him.
By Potemkin
What sources are those? The colonisation of Africa didn't start til long after slavery was illegal in much of Europe.

The slave trade was very active long before serious colonisation in Africa. Hence CWAS' point about most of the selling being done by African tribes and Arab slave-traders.

And many of the freed African-American slaves did go back to Africa. The nation of Liberia was founded by such people. Abraham Lincoln strongly supported such schemes as an alternative to making Blacks equal citizens in the US.
By | I, CWAS |
Potemkin wrote:The nation of Liberia was founded by such people.

And ironically they oppressed the native Africans.

Attila The Nun wrote:Questions are usually statements made questions so they can backtracked.

He made a statment in question form, probably not so he could backtrack, but it certainly displayed his beliefs. Quit playing dumb and answer him.

A question has a ? after it, and a statement has a period. One cannot refute a question.
By Attila The Nun
A question has a ? after it, and a statement has a period. One cannot refute a question.

It was obviously a statement of his beliefs in the form of a question.
By KurtFF8
By the time that most slaves were freed (i.e. not counting the exceptions in the early america and colonial periods) it had been so many generations that I would say an overwelming majority of them didn't even know where in Africa they had their origins. So why would they just go back if they didn't even have much if any knowledge of their ancestors culture, let alone what country they're from.
By Ixa
Blacks were enslaved by virtually every race they have ever come into contact with - Arabs, Greeks, Egyptians, Christians, and even other Blacks, to give a few examples. I also suppose we require special reminders of the suffering of millions of white slaves in the Roman Empire, compared with which the suffering of Black slaves is rather less than extraordinary. The Roman master could kill his slaves at will; he could even throw them to the lions for his amusement, or force them to serve as gladiators. Nothing of this nature ever existed in the history of Black slavery. By the reasoning commonly urged by the multicultists, whites may be excused for all of their anti-social behaviour because of their history as slaves.

No one is more manly than me. We know there is […]

https://youtu.be/7w9NIPYrxRQ Standard dehumaniz[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Not really. If you have a dictator on one side in[…]

A long war with a lot of mistakes. Listen to thi[…]