Large Scale Borodino Battle Recreation(lots of pictures!) - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Mikolaj
I think they're cool, but I can't take the people that do it seriously at the same time. I frequently correspond with a descendant of the Civil War Captain that recruited and worked with my great-great-grandfather during the Civil War. He does reinactments out on Long Island (Union Regiment), and he's trying to recruit me for this!

I used to go to Historical fairs as a kid in Virginia as well, and I remember they did a reinactment of a leg amputation. They used poultry for the leg-but nevertheless I was still nauseated by it and couldn't watch the rest!
By Tailz
I think its fantastic, not only is it all about history, it is a lot of fun too. I wish i could have been there to see it for myself. I have been thinking of joining a WWII group of reinactors, but there do not seem to be many if any here in Australia.
By kami321
Clubs from Ukraine, Belarus, and Lithuania also joined this recreation.

It's kind of ironic that no Frenchmen took part.

And yes historical recreations are fun, just look at this amazing Ukrainian versus Ukrainian (oops sorry I mean Soviet versus German) performance!
By Tailz
That looks great, I have even seen some groups that even have rebuilt tanks as part of their display!!

I was even looking at getting my hands on a Ferret Scout car a while ago, would have been neat to do it up to WWII standards and in the same style as the Rats of Tobruk. 8)
By Red Star
I think they are quite cool in the way that they fulfill those childhood dreams of 'playing soldiers' - just on a grander and a tiny bit more realistic scale. I might try it once as it looks fun, but I wouldn't be able to take myself seriously either!
By Tailz
I have meet some guys that are way too serious about it, getting all bent out of shape if some peice of field gear is not thr right shade of khaki - which I find funny in itself as the color of stuff changed so much over the war and there was so much mixing of old and new uniform & field gear that color is not realy important.
By CeilingCat
And yes historical recreations are fun, just look at this amazing Ukrainian versus Ukrainian (oops sorry I mean Soviet versus German) performance!

That's so cool. It's interesting to see that they are so easy going with their history and that they did this considering all the things that Germany did in Ukraine.

If america got invaded and millions massacred and then 60 years later people started reenacting it people would complain about it being politicaly incorrect or insensitive or some BS.
By kami321
As the older generation which fought the war gradually dies out, the population inevitably becomes more tolerant and accepting of this period of history. Sometimes perhaps a bit too accepting, to the point where I think it becmoes immoral. This is Russian shot. Don't ask my why or for what purpose it was made:
By Kiroff
is that a pobedA? :eh:

ps my spelling skills are down due to powerball :(
By kami321
I think it's Volkswagen, but you know they could have just used similar looking Gaz for this purpose.
By Kiroff
I recognize the gaz logo on the grill.
By Tailz
As the older generation which fought the war gradually dies out, the population inevitably becomes more tolerant and accepting of this period of history. Sometimes perhaps a bit too accepting, to the point where I think it becmoes immoral.

I think it can become immoral when it loses its importance from history, or when it becomes motivated by political concepts. I have heard of a group of reinactors who act out a SS unit, but are also involved with White Supremest groups - its times like that when it becomes immoral. Thats why I am always pleased to see such groups that will turns away members or expel members if they are a part of or join such political groups.

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

The bill proposed by Congress could easily be use[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Even in North America, the people defending the[…]

Yes, try meditating ALONE in nature since people […]