Rober Barons and Rebels - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By KurtFF8
Howard Zinn in the People's History of the United States Chapter 11 wrote:In the year 1877, the signals were given for the rest of the century: the black would be put back; the strikes of white workers would not be tolerated; the industrial and political elites of North and South would take hold of the country and organize the greatest march of economic growth in human history. They would do it with the aid of, and at the expense of, black labor, white labor, Chinese labor, European immigrant labor, female labor, rewarding them differently by race, sex, national origin, and social class, in such a way as to create separate levels of oppression - a skillful terracing to stabilize the pyramid of wealth.

For the bold: It may seem reductionist to put all of those categories of the oppressed in an economic context, and this is a lot of the criticism I get by other non-Marxian leftists. But it seems quite important to put those forms of oppression in their economic context, which provides motive for the oppressors. Some may view that context as simply descriptive but I think that when one understands the nature of exploitation and why it would be in the interests of the rulers to have those social groups be separated instead of united, then one begins to understand the nature of oppression itself.
By peter_co
Doesn't such Commie babble belong in the Communist subforum?
By KurtFF8
No, I chose the history forum because it's a direct quote (and hopefully subsequent discussion of the quote) from a history book, a very famous history book at that. Also it's about that specific historical period (and of course the consequences of that historical period on today, as all historical discussions in effect are)

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

The bill proposed by Congress could easily be use[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Even in North America, the people defending the[…]

Yes, try meditating ALONE in nature since people […]