Am I A Democrat or Republican? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hey everyone. Over the past year or so, I have really been going over my beliefs and how they relate to a specific political party in the US. I originally registered as a Democrat since that was the party of my family but just recently switched to Republican. I will list my beliefs here and please let me know what party you think I fit best in:

Social Issues:

Pro-Life except when mother is in danger of losing life
Pro-2nd Amendment except for assault weapons
Anti-Gay Marriage but for civil unions
I go back and forth on the death penalty. If something happened to my family, I would probably want the person gone but being in prison for life is a pretty bad sentence for them too and would probably be a harsher punishment.

Fiscal Issues:

This is the area that I don't know that much about. I agree that there needs to be a balanced budget and cuts to programs and agencies that aren't meeting up to standards. I agree that there needs to be cuts that matches spending. I don't think you should spend more on things than you have cuts. I love the idea of lower taxes for everyone but taxes based on income seems like it make since too.

Military:

I don't think there should be any cuts to the military and I support them 100%. I don't support the war in Iraq but do support the war in Afghanistan.

Welfare Reform:

I do not think welfare programs such as food stamps and other assistance should be ran by churches and private charities. I do believe they need to be in place but serious reform needs to be made. All things owned need to be on the table when people sign up for these programs. It really irritates me when I see those on food stamps, etc. drive around in luxury cars and purchase luxury purses and many more things. There needs to be assurance that those on welfare actively pursue job opportunities.

Which party do you think I belong?
Looks like we share two forums, my friend.

I wrote:I don't think that you should give yourself a party label. Here are some reasons:

1) Parties drift over time
2) Party platforms are 'pick-and-choose' matters in some cases
3) The political spectrum is narrow and it might be possible that you have views outside of said spectrum

You should just stick to your views and be proud of them. Don't give yourself a label.
You have to find a balance between what you consider the most important to you. Social issues or fiscal issues. Under our current economic conditions most people have turned to fiscal issues as their most pressing concerns. As far as social issues are concerned you fall right into the ideal republican mindset. As far as fiscally you have to ask yourself if you think the Federal government should be Very involved or minimally involved, Republicans tend towards minimal Fed and democrats tend toward max. fed. This has been the basic boiling point of American politics since the beginning. Federalism and Anti-federalism. Social issues have often changed sides but these two philosophies have remained the same. So to truly call yourself a Democrat or Republican you have to decide if you think the economy does better with little to no federal involvement or if it works better under a lot of federal involvement.
You are a classic 80s and 90s Republican. Some Republicans of today are much more radical and want no social safety net at all but you sort of are the classic conservative position of you want a safety net but it to be temporary and only for those truly in need etc. Which btw is my essential position.
You are a classic 80s and 90s Republican. Some Republicans of today are much more radical and want no social safety net at all but you sort of are the classic conservative position of you want a safety net but it to be temporary and only for those truly in need etc. Which btw is my essential position.

What do actually think should happen once the welfare "expires." Let them starve? People can be unemployed for long periods of time. The temporary welfare thing would just lead to an explosion in crime and an even higher percentage of the American population being in prison.
I never said this was my position. It may be it may not be but I never said. I remember when a sort of typical Republican position was something like "everybody on welfare should have to find work" or "people should be limited to two years of welfare." I myself favor a negative income tax but that is neither here nor there.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

The October 7th attack has not been deemed a genoc[…]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]