Limbaugh on Robin Williams' Suicide - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/12/r ... -attitude/

Radio host Rush Limbaugh on Tuesday said that actor Robin Williams’ alleged suicide was caused by his “political leftist” state of mind.

“What is the left’s world view in general?” Limbaugh asked his audience the day after Williams’ death was announced. “If you had to attach, not a philosophy, but an attitude to a leftist world view. It’s one of pessimism, and darkness, sadness. They’re never happy, are they?”

“They’re animated in large part by the false promises of America because the promises of America are not for everyone,” he continued, pointing to a Fox News report that suggested Williams had struggled with financial issues, and survivor’s guilt after the deaths of entertainers like Christopher Reeve, Andy Kaufman and John Belushi.

“Robin Williams felt guilty that he was still alive while his three friends had died young, and much earlier than he had,” the conservative talker explained. “He could never get over the guilt that they died and he didn’t.”

“Well, that is a constant measurement that is made by political leftists in judging the country.”
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/ ... ture_media

RUSH: So our last caller from Des Plaines, Illinois, wanted to know, "What is the politics in the coverage of the suicide of Robin Williams?" Well, I believe there is some. But I don't think that the politics is driving it. I think there was, on the part of media and Hollywood, genuine affection for the guy that is driving it, but there is politics. If you notice the coverage is focused on how much he had, but it wasn't enough.

"He had everything, everything that you would think would make you happy. But it didn't." Now, what is the left's worldview in general? What is it? If you had to attach not a philosophy but an attitude to a leftist worldview, it's one of pessimism and darkness, sadness. They're never happy, are they? They're always angry about something. No matter what they get, they're always angry.

They are animated in large part by the false promises of America, because the promises of America are not for everyone, as we see each and every day. I mean, right here there's a story Fox News website. Do you know, it says right here, that the real reasons that Robin Williams killed himself are he was embarrassed at having to take television roles after a sterling movie career.

He had to take movie roles that were beneath him, sequels and so forth, and he finally had to do television just to get a paycheck because he was in so much financial distress. He'd had some divorces that ripped up his net worth, and he had a big ranch in Napa that he couldn't afford any longer and had to put up for sale, and a house in Tiburon that he couldn't afford anymore. This is all what's in the Fox News story.

He had it all, but he had nothing. He made everybody else laugh but was miserable inside. I mean, it fits a certain picture, or a certain image that the left has. Talk about low expectations and general unhappiness and so forth. Right here it says that one the contributing factors to Robin Williams deciding to kill himself was "survivor's guilt." It's in the headline.

I read that and I thought, "Survivor's guilt? What? What survivor's guilt? What?" So I read it, and it turns out that three of his closest friends, the story says -- Christopher Reeve, John Belushi, and Andy Kaufman... The source, unnamed in the story, said that Robin Williams felt guilty that he was still alive while his three friends had died young and much earlier than he had.

He could never get over the guilt that they died and he didn't.

Well, that is a constant measurement that is made by political leftists in judging the country. It's outcome-based education: 2 + 2 = 5. "That's fine until the student learns it's 4. We're not gonna humiliate the student by pointing out that he's wrong. If he figures it out, cool. We're gonna take the fast learners and we're gonna slow them down so that they don't humiliate the kids that don't learn as fast as they do. It's just not fair."

So the bottom line is here is it's reported that he died, which is true, but he actually committed suicide. I just really hope that this coverage does not spawn copycats, because the coverage is fawning and glorious, and positive. You have so many people on social media who so desperately want fame. You know it and I know it.

People are voluntarily telling everybody every detail about themselves, casting every aspect of their privacy aside just because they want fame. They want to be noticed. They all want to be on TV. There's a lot of fame and the media's doing every story about this is a story of greatness -- unparalleled, unequaled, unique greatness.

I mean, everybody would love to be spoken of the way the media's speaking of Robin Williams today and last night, and I really hope -- 'cause there's some very fragile people out there -- people don't try to emulate or get this kind of notoriety for themselves by doing the same thing.
Rush Limbaugh is an asshole. What he says is absolute drivel. Limbaugh quoting Fox News, as a news source...
Rik started a whole thread to say something similar, once. Some silliness about how conservatism makes you happy. When I suggested that, perhaps he'd got the cause and the result mixed up (i.e happier people are more likely to support the status quo) he said that this proved his point and started ranting about liberals.

Maybe rik is Rush Limbaugh.

“They’re animated in large part by the false promises of America because the promises of America are not for everyone,” he continued, pointing to a Fox News report that suggested Williams had struggled with financial issues, and survivor’s guilt after the deaths of entertainers like Christopher Reeve, Andy Kaufman and John Belushi.

Oh, Christ. Spare us the drug store psychology. Rush Limbaugh is a pig-ignorant wanker, and it saddens me deeply that anyone takes him seriously.
Dagoth Ur wrote:Also if he's so happy why is he an opiate addict?

Maybe he is projecting his insecurities at Robin Williams. I gotta give credit to Rush for getting all those fools to pay up for his rants and making him rich in the process by keeping the liberal-conservative axis alive. Let's pretend this guy is nothing more than a paid troll to insult and provoke liberals into getting into a flame war with him.
Godstud wrote:Rush Limbaugh is an asshole. What he says is absolute drivel. Limbaugh quoting Fox News, as a news source...

We're all somebody's asshole. I don't think what Limbaugh says is absolute drivel. Some of it is: I mean some of what he is saying is to stoke up the flames, etc. That's his shtick. Robin Williams was part of the community when I lived in the city, and he was well loved. He was a lovely person. I'll bet you anything Rush had a soft spot for Robin Williams too. So how Limbaugh's processing his grief is to lash out at the left.

I don't think Limbaugh is 100% on target there, but I think he has a point. Something changed in leftist philosophy, demeanor, etc. I can't put my finger on it, but they're just not the same people they used to be. They're dystopian. They used to be utopian.

Here's what I mean: in the 1980s, a conservative could disagree adamantly with Pat Moynihan. Moynihan would listen, reflect, provide a counter argument, and that would go on and on. Then, you'd see the conservative having dinner with Moynihan and find out that they were actually good friends. Same same with Sam Nunn, Scoop Jackson, Bill Bradley, Tom Foley, etc. That's all gone now. If people don't agree with you, they try to destroy you personally.

I think the only big name Democrat that's really personable today is Bill Clinton, but he had a big hand in what some call "the politics of personal destruction." James Carville is that way. I don't agree with a majority of Bill Clinton's views, but he's a very smart and affable guy. By contrast, Harry Reid is not. He's an asshole--a really mean asshole. If you agreed 100% with his views, you still probably wouldn't want to hang out with the guy. That angriness is more prevalent today, and it's not just in Washington. It's infused in the media, and it's become sort of cultural. It was a bit of a relief when George W. Bush was no longer president, because all the anti-Bush propaganda was tiresome. It will be a relief when Obama is no longer president too, as it's a similar deal.

I remember in the 1980s, you could watch CNN Crossfire and Tom Braden and Pat Buchannan would go at it. I remember going to the World Affairs Forum in San Francisco and listening to George H.W. Bush, Margaret Thatcher and Mikhael Gorbachev go at it with Bernard Shaw moderating. CNN isn't that way anymore. It's strictly left wing and practically intolerable unless you agree with that world view.

Heisenberg wrote:Some silliness about how conservatism makes you happy. When I suggested that, perhaps he'd got the cause and the result mixed up (i.e happier people are more likely to support the status quo) he said that this proved his point and started ranting about liberals.

That's not quite it either. I think it's more like this notion of "permanent revolution" where people are obsessed with finding some wrong to fix, even if they have to make it up--like the Washington Redskins. It just makes people weary. Nothing is ever good enough. That's the cultural milieu of modern leftism, and it is depressing.

Heisenberg wrote:Oh, Christ. Spare us the drug store psychology.

Well there's a lot of truth to the financial issues. It hits a lot of people hard, particularly celebrities. As much as I think things like "gay marriage" are complete bullshit, I'm not one to try to "preserve" civil marriage because to me it is primarily a wealth redistribution system now. So you take someone like George Lucas. He's brilliant, right? He gets married, he gets divorced like anybody else. He can put his family up in a nice $500k house with good schools, etc. Yet, that's not how it works. His ex-wife gets fuck tons of money he earned and gets to live in a palace he pays for. Is that really fair? Now someone like George Lucas isn't an actor or a musician. For actors and musicians, when people connect with them emotionally, it's rather easy to get into a relationship. If you are both rich and famous, beautiful women are more than happy to fuck you and tell you how great you are. It's pretty intoxicating. Sooner or later though, they figure out that you're just like everyone else, your shit stinks too, etc. And with a lot of celebrities, you get a few really big problems: first, a lot of what drives them is mania, which I mean in a clinical sense. It's their genius, but it has a dark side. Dopamine binds to tryptophan hydroxylase and shuts off the metabolic path for serotonin. So they get depressed.

You and I can get into a funk and work out of it. A celebrity has a very different challenge. Bipolar is very difficult by itself. A well off celebrity has so much to be grateful for in a material sense, but they can't enjoy it when depressed; and, many people's relationships to celebrity are what they would do if there were no financial constraints. So people expect you to be happy, a big spender, magnanimous all the time, etc. When you're depressed, they don't understand why. Then, you get people who aren't your friend, but they want to glom onto you because you are a celebrity. You got people who will take advantage of you financially, etc. The love of your life turns out to betray you and leave with the buff little pool boy in a beautiful house you pay for. It's rough.

A lot of celebrities start believing all the bullshit about themselves and they become assholes, or ridiculously narcissistic--like Sean Penn going down to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Robin Williams wasn't like that. He was a butterfly broken on a wheel ironically by the people who loved him the most.

Heisenberg wrote:Rush Limbaugh is a pig-ignorant wanker, and it saddens me deeply that anyone takes him seriously.

Like Robin Williams, Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. He's a raconteur, and often a bit of a comedian. Think of him as a court jester.

Dagoth Ur wrote:Also if he's so happy why is he an opiate addict?

Opiate addiction isn't as related to the manic-depression cycle. It has more to do with pain-pleasure. Rush likes his food and doesn't like exercise, so he's tends to get overweight and that's hard on the back. To address the back pain, he got onto Oxycontin, which is highly addictive. So when you take an opioid, the pain goes away. If the opioid also triggers a dopamine rush, it becomes psychologically addictive, and eventually physically addictive.

ThereBeDragons wrote:What he says is actually pretty normal except for the parts where he mentions the left, which are just surreal.

I think it's just the weariness of our media culture. It's relentlessly negative, fear inducing, etc. and it's largely populated by people on the political left.

I think another factor for actors is when they play dark roles. I think method acting kills in some situations. Like I think Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is ultimately what killed Philip Seymour Hoffman. If you get into a role playing a heroin addict and you want to think and act like a heroin addict, you almost commit suicide by accepting the role.

I've seen other things like that. Michael Hedges was a brilliant guitarist/musician. He was also an absolutely lovely guy. I believe his wife left him for his manager. Those liberal artistic types are really gentle souls, and being used/taken advantage of really breaks them. It's a sad thing.
It was pretty much an expected thing some right-wing tough guys would come along and trash Robin Williams and talk about how real Tough Guys never commit suicide and deal with their problems and how wimpy west coast liberals commit suicide because they are wimps. Anyway one trend I've noticed on the right is that they have co-opted the tactic of the far-left. There was that old leftist saying "the personal is political." The left since the 1960s generally made everything into a political issue. The right has become the same way.

Anyway I do think there is something in the artistic genius that lends itself to some demons. It seems like so many entertainers had personal issues. The entertainment industry tends to go with liberal politics but I think this is coincidental. It is absurd to say Robin Williams politics led him to commit suicide. I doubt he was even thinking about politics. Yes he was a left-leaning liberal, but I don't see him as a "political celebrity" in the same way Sean Penn, Oliver Stone and George Clooney are, or Jon Voight on the right (although this is something he has embraced in recent years). I don't think his liberalism defined Williams in the same way it defines more activist celebrities like the ones mentioned, it was more secondary to his character.
Godstud wrote:Rush Limbaugh is an asshole. What he says is absolute drivel. Limbaugh quoting Fox News, as a news source... :lol: :knife:

Rush is totally right about Williams. Here's a guy who had everything. Here's a guy who was beloved by millions, a guy who made large portions of the world laugh. Here's a guy involved in charities, a guy who entertained our troops on the other side of the world...

He was rich, successful, beloved.

Liberalism killed him. Rush got that right.

Oh, and quoting FoxNews is what intelligent people do. You know, those nerds you make fun of, who actually read.
Fox News is for idiots. FACT. If you watch Fox News and believe everything they say, then that says a lot about you.
keso wrote:Radio host Rush Limbaugh on Tuesday said that actor Robin Williams’ alleged suicide was caused by his “political leftist” state of mind.

“What is the left’s world view in general?” Limbaugh asked his audience the day after Williams’ death was announced. “If you had to attach, not a philosophy, but an attitude to a leftist world view. It’s one of pessimism, and darkness, sadness. They’re never happy, are they?”
And Rush Limbaugh's always optimistic. He's positive about the direction America has taken in recent decades. he's positive about the changes that have taken place in American society. He's positive about the fiscal situation. and above all he's positive about the American President. Hell even he's his comments about Robin Williams are full of positivity and optimism.
I've only recently started to appreciate Rich's (admittedly slightly warped) genius...

Reason10 wrote:Liberalism killed him. Rush got that right.

This quite literally means nothing.

Reason10 wrote:Oh, and quoting FoxNews is what intelligent people do.

Oh, of course. What I admire most is their consistent principles. Take Sean Hannity's noble stand on the NSA, for example:
[youtube]t27ie4qFlXM[/youtube]
Anyway I do think there is something in the artistic genius that lends itself to some demons.

There are lots of comics and other artistic geniuses who don't kill themselves.
It is absurd to say Robin Williams politics led him to commit suicide.

Rush didn't say politics led Robin to killing himself. It was LIBERALISM. There's a difference.
Liberalism is basically a gutless a depressing ideology. It requires NO brains whatsoever. It is high on emotions and VERY high on guilt. Robin was besieged by GUILT, from losing close friends of his so early in life. The LIBERAL GUILT of surviving those people drove him to kill himself.
Liberalism basically says you are GUILTY if you aren't equally miserable with the rest of the miserable masses. You are GUILTY if you make more money than the miserable masses. You are GUILTY if you survive the death of a friend.
Liberal GUILT killed Robin Williams.
Godstud wrote
Fox News is for idiots. FACT. If you watch Fox News and believe everything they say, then that says a lot about you.

Jeez, who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?
FoxNews is for MOST OF AMERICA. Only idiots watch anything else. That says quite a lot about you.
Reason10 wrote:FoxNews is for MOST OF AMERICA.
I know.

Reason10 wrote:That says quite a lot about you.
It says that I am not an American.

Your ad homs are as silly as your argument.

Robin Williams is dead because he was diagnosed with a deadly disease, and he already had problems with mental illness. This likely compounded the problem.

Robin Williams was a great man who touched the people around him with his great personality and kindness. People I know, who have worked with him, only have good things to say about the man.

Remember Robin Williams for how he lived, not how he died.

RIP
Your ad homs are as silly as your argument.

I haven't committed any ad homimems. You need to look that up.

Robin Williams is dead because he was diagnosed with a deadly disease, and he already had problems with mental illness. This likely compounded the problem.

The disease was LIBERALISM. And I agree. It's a form of mental illness. And it killed him.

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isr[…]

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O