Support the troops - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By spodi
Well I know not to post this in the liberal forum, obviously but do you guys support the troops like true 21st century conservatives or are you conservatives in name only?
By Drlee
What do you mean by "support the troops"? This has become a buzz word.
By Drlee
I was a "troop" for just over 20 years. Most of the time "support" is just lip service. I wanted and got significant pay raises and a wonderful retirement. Today I support the troops by working politically to make certain that they are not sacrificed for some plutocrat's wallet. The true American conservative position is that our military should be used sparingly. It should defend our country. Not much more than that.

I understand times when something is so outrageous (think ISIL or Rwanda) that I would support US military involvement to stop the horror. We can be the good guys from time to time.

If you really want to "support the troops" learn about what they really do. Get to know some of them. And oh by the way. Don't be too surprised when you learn that they earn far more money than you do.
By spodi
Hey doctor I was in for 4 years. Sorry I didn't do 20 years, no disrespect but I was smart. There's your clue of what troops do.
By Drlee
spodi wrote:Hey doctor I was in for 4 years. Sorry I didn't do 20 years, no disrespect but I was smart. There's your clue of what troops do.

It sounds pretty disrespectful to me but I am not at all ashamed of my service. I don't understand your second sentence. What do you mean by "There's your clue of what troops do"?
By spodi
I know what troops do and sorry but I could not do 20 years in the military. All respect to you for your service. I met great senior NCOs when I was in. I was told to re enlist many a times but I'm too much of an independent thinker to do a career in the military. That and I didn't knock up a military town girl and had to stay in. Were you an O or an E?
By Drlee
I was an E. I did not care much for the military but I had interesting jobs. I took advantage of the education too. I cash that retirement "check" every month but the health insurance is the big deal.

I was single my whole time in. I found it liberating that the military didn't care much what I did on my spare time. I too value independence but I think that soldiers have more than most civilians believe they do and most civilians have less than most soldiers think they do. Remember that I retired over 20 years ago so things were different then.

You understand, what I mean when I say that the best thing we can do for the troops is to ensure that their service and lives are not wasted for no good reason.
By spodi
Yeah I'm all for supporting troops, not just putting a piss yellow bumper sticker on the ass of my car. As for a career, believe me I was on the fence. When I got out after 4 months I went back to a recruiter because jobs suck today and I can't go from being a soldier to a guy serving you your Starbucks. Suprisingly the recruiter talked me out of it lol. As for veterans, they'll always be treated like dirt. I found it funny with the VA scandal this year, people are so forgetful right? Glad to hear you had good assignments. If I did stay I I would of attempted SFAS, I would of loved being on an ODA. I've met a few and had much admiration for them. You being a career service member were probably more disenfranchised then I was. You know the whole "in my day it was 10 times harder." Its true, when I was at my last few months, meeting new E-1s I'd laugh, not disrespect them but just wish them good luck. You got an opinion of the future of the force in the next 10 to 20 years? I think it can go two ways. Shitty like post Vietnam garrison army but now we have a not ending Afghanistan and third Iraq war. Its gonna fray an already frayed military. And those are only small threats compared to Russia and the whole China situation in the years to come.
By SolarCross
BIG YANK BAL 1976 wrote:Support the troops by not sending them to die in unnecessary unwinnable useless wars like Iraq and Afghanistan that drag on forever...

Surely the whole point of invading a country and taking over its governance is for that occupation to "drag on forever"? Leaving is losing. You yanks have literally no idea at all of how to do empire.

The UCJ just ordered Israel to allow food aid . […]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]

@skinster so you confess that Hamas committed ma[…]