Conservatism and Social equity?Two things that far away? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
So as the title says I'm asking you what's your opinion on Conservatism and Social equity. I define myself as a Social Democrat, or at least I think I am a Social-Democrat, but the point is, is it possible to be a conservative advocating Social Equity?
In some ways I agree with conservatives we should have personal freedoms granted, we should reduce government spending and public debt but in some ways I truly believe that could be done by reducing inequality and providing anyone a chance to pursue that dream resulting in a fair and "equal" Society. But is this just crazy and nonsense or is it in fact to have some conservative values along with some progressive ideas resulting in Social equality?
That's quite interesting i will look for that as soon as I arrive home, but I'm not appealing to a total social conservative state, I'm actually quite progressist in some cases, I think we should preserve some traditional values, let's call it a hybrid between progressive/conservative social values and a fair economy with balanced budget and a "small welfare state"...
philiphos wrote:So as the title says I'm asking you what's your opinion on Conservatism and Social equity. I define myself as a Social Democrat, or at least I think I am a Social-Democrat, but the point is, is it possible to be a conservative advocating Social Equity?
In some ways I agree with conservatives we should have personal freedoms granted, we should reduce government spending and public debt but in some ways I truly believe that could be done by reducing inequality and providing anyone a chance to pursue that dream resulting in a fair and "equal" Society. But is this just crazy and nonsense or is it in fact to have some conservative values along with some progressive ideas resulting in Social equality? :?: :?: :?:

Conservatives don't advocate personal freedom because they ignore inherent differences between individuals. For conservatives someone who inherited a fortune of 2 billion dollars is more hardworking than someone who has been trying to climb the ladder but failed due to a lack of opportunities and marginalization.

Also, being a conservative is slightly different in America and Europe. In America conservatives are supportive of individual rights because the USA was founded according to the principles of classic liberalism, but in Europe we have conservatives advocating government intervention and even some forms of corporatism.

So no, conservatives don't value social equity, unless you consider social equity as someone's birth and exclude everything else. In the end, conservatism is more inclined towards some forms of social darwinism and survival of the fittest than equity and equality - Despite the fact many of them are creationists.
I am basically liberal on local issues and conservative on larger issues. There is no reason a person has to be one or the other. My signature shows how I believe both can exist simultaneously.
Dystopian Darkness wrote:Conservatives don't advocate personal freedom because they ignore inherent differences between individuals. For conservatives someone who inherited a fortune of 2 billion dollars is more hardworking than someone who has been trying to climb the ladder but failed due to a lack of opportunities and marginalization.

It's precisely because conservatives recognise inherent differences that we are wary of attempts to bring about "equality" through legislation/social engineering. I don't know any conservatives who would argue that a person who inherits their wealth is more hardworking than the shopkeeper, who works 16 hours a day to turn a marginal profit.

I don't think i's possible to have an equal society without a huge bloated government breathing down your neck. In a free society, there will always be someone with an advantage over you. This could simply be someone having extra tuition which helps them get into university. Should we ban additional tuition to ensure a level playing field? Affirmative action is designed to bring about equality but it breeds a sense of entitlement and disincentives hard work.
It's precisely because conservatives recognise inherent differences that we are wary of attempts to bring about "equality" through legislation/social engineering. I don't know any conservatives who would argue that a person who inherits their wealth is more hardworking than the shopkeeper, who works 16 hours a day to turn a marginal profit.

Fair enough, but since this is your perspective then do you think people should be left by themselves all the time, including in misery and death?
I don't think i's possible to have an equal society without a huge bloated government breathing down your neck. In a free society, there will always be someone with an advantage over you. This could simply be someone having extra tuition which helps them get into university. Should we ban additional tuition to ensure a level playing field? Affirmative action is designed to bring about equality but it breeds a sense of entitlement and disincentives hard work.

[/quote]
I agree with this point. But a lack of opportunities results in wasted potential.
Dystopian Darkness wrote:Fair enough, but since this is your perspective then do you think people should be left by themselves all the time, including in misery and death?

Nope, i'm not a Libertarian or Social Darwinist. Equality is a meaningless concept because it can never be achieved. There will always be a top, middle and bottom. I'm in favour of bridging the gap between these groups but a meritocratic/classless society is pure fantasy. I believe people should be judged on their conduct and contribution, not their income level.
Brisket wrote: Nope, i'm not a Libertarian or Social Darwinist. Equality is a meaningless concept because it can never be achieved. There will always be a top, middle and bottom. I'm in favour of bridging the gap between these groups but a meritocratic/classless society is pure fantasy. I believe people should be judged on their conduct and contribution, not their income level.

That's basically what I intended to say with Equality there will always exist High income earners, middle income earners and low income earners, what I see as equality is a society where independtly from their Income everyone can have education and healthcare providing equal opportunities and a Social mobility....
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]

@FiveofSwords " small " Humans are […]

World War II Day by Day

April 19, Friday Allied troops land on Norway co[…]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]