'White' Chicago Cop Sues Department to Change His Race - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
'White' Chicago Cop Sues Department to Change His Race

Officer Muhammed Yusuf says racial identity is fluid and being incorrectly designated Caucasian has hampered his career.

A veteran cop who says he doesn't identify as Caucasian wants to change the racial designation in his personnel file from "white" to one he believes is more appropriate -- even taking a genetic test to bolster his contentions -- but claims the department won’t let him.

That’s according to a $1 million civil rights lawsuit filed by Officer Mohammad Yusuf, who joined the Chicago Police Department (CPD) in 2004 and “was compelled to identify as Caucasian, despite not identifying as white.” Now, Yusuf, who is of Egyptian descent and “currently identifies as Egyptian and African American,” wants a federal judge to make the CPD update its records to “accurately reflect his race, as North African.”

"While other CPD officers can correct their gender to match their gender identity, other officers, like Yusuf, are barred from obtaining accurate racial designations matching their racial identity," the lawsuit states.

‘White’ Chicago Cop Muhammed Yusuf Sues Police Department to Change His Race (thedailybeast.com) Feb 26, 2024

So it seems that being "White" or "Caucasian" comes with detrimental affect to his career.
Likely due to all the "affirmative action" policies.

This isn't that surprising in that area.

And the Left seems to want to designate Middle Easterners as "White".
When Yusuf joined the CPD in 2004, the onboarding paperwork did not include a racial or ethnic category into which he precisely fit, according to Basile, who provided The Daily Beast with a list of the nine designations in use today: “Black or African American,” “Hispanic or Latino,” “White,” “American Indian or Alaska Native,” “Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander,” “Two or more races,” and “I choose not to disclose.”

Two decades ago, the choice was even more limited, Basile said, noting that the present categories still do not include an option for North African/Middle Eastern. So, when Yusuf asked higher-ups for guidance on which race to select, Basile said they told him to “just mark himself off as white.”

This Egyptian officer is designated as white but a genetic study showed that there was an influx of sub-Saharan African ancestry to Egypt after the Roman Period, while it found a high level of affinity between the ancient inhabitants of Egypt and modern populations from the Near East and the Levant. Some North Africans are genetically over 90% sub-Saharan African, which can be proven by a genetic test. The Census Bureau announced in 2014 that it would establish a new MENA ethnic category for populations from the Middle East, North Africa, and the Arab world. But Arab pressure groups opposed the move to keep the honorary white designation that is generally advantageous to them. A MENA designation may lead to more discrimination against Arab Americans, who are often the victims of employment and religious discrimination.

By comparing ancient individuals from Abusir el-Meleq with modern Egyptian reference populations, we found an influx of sub-Saharan African ancestry after the Roman Period, which corroborates the findings by Henn and colleagues16. Further investigation would be needed to link this influx to particular historic processes. Possible causal factors include increased mobility down the Nile and increased long-distance commerce between sub-Saharan Africa and Egypt49. Trans-Saharan slave trade may have been particularly important as it moved between 6 and 7 million sub-Saharan slaves to Northern Africa over a span of some 1,250 years, reaching its high point in the nineteenth century50. However, we note that all our genetic data were obtained from a single site in Middle Egypt and may not be representative for all of ancient Egypt. It is possible that populations in the south of Egypt were more closely related to those of Nubia and had a higher sub-Saharan genetic component, in which case the argument for an influx of sub-Saharan ancestries after the Roman Period might only be partially valid and have to be nuanced. Throughout Pharaonic history there was intense interaction between Egypt and Nubia, ranging from trade to conquest and colonialism, and there is compelling evidence for ethnic complexity within households with Egyptian men marrying Nubian women and vice versa51,52,53. Clearly, more genetic studies on ancient human remains from southern Egypt and Sudan are needed before apodictic statements can be made.
https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms15694
If you start worrying about being categorized wrongly and it means you losing jobs and opportunities or being excluded for something to your advantage? Yet somehow the USA is an ethnic paradise?

The laws can only go so far. It cannot really protect you from social discrimination or prejudices that are already a part of another group that has its own social circles and clicks. It can't legislate being polite to others. There is nothing polite about discrimination. It has to do with subtle forms of not being fair. Trying to legislate it is often a failure. The reality is the only way of making society better on that issue is being deliberate about talking about all the forms of discrimination that exists and why it is detrimental.

In the end, with time and newer generations you get change. But only if the newer generations have more expansive social circles. If they live in isolated clusters and cliques? They will continue to not understand any groups outside the world they grew up in.
Well , for one thing , the very idea of whiteness is an arbitrary , inconsistent , and faulty social construct , as is the very idea of racial classification itself . For example , am I white ? By the most common criteria , yes I am . Aside from maybe my Spanish ancestry , much of which is Sephardic Jewish anyway , I would say that I as an American of predominantly European heritage am white . However , Benjamin Franklin wouldn't have thought so , he'd deem me instead to be "Black Dutch " .

“Why should the Palatine boors [the Germans] be suffered to swarm into our settlements, and by herding together establish their language and manners to the exclusion of ours? Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a colony of aliens, who will soon be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our anglifying them, and will never adopt our language or customs, any more than they can acquire our complexion.

Which leads me to one remark: That the number of purely white people in the world is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawney. And in Europe the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes are generally of what we call a swarthy complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only being excepted, who with the English make up the principal body of white people on the face of the earth. I could wish their numbers increased. While we are scouring our planet by clearing America of woods, and so making our side of the planet reflect a brighter light to the inhabitants of Mars or Venus, why should we in the sight of superior beings darken its people? Why increase the sons of Africa by planting them in America, where we have an opportunity, by excluding all blacks and tawneys, of increasing the lovely white and red.”

Benjamin Franklin

I feel that due to the impact that the spread of both Islam , and Christianity respectively has had upon the world , there are now virtually no people remaining who are not in some way admixed , aside from perhaps some more isolated populations , such as in Scandinavia , and the Baltic regions . Even if any of us were to ever wish to revert back to the historic folk religions of our ancient forbears , from the standpoint of ethno-centric paganism , we could not rightly do so , as we would be so far removed from the particular people , and their associated pantheon . The role that such Abrahamic faiths have had upon the cultural hegemony of the world is to render all adherents of traditional folk religion as spiritual orphans , cut off from the gods and goddesses specific to any ethnic group . Such cultural imperialism has served to blur the pre-existing lines between various populations , and therefore its subjects are defined more so by a common religion than a single shared lineage . Along the lines of what @ThirdTerm mentioned , this one young woman , Imane Anys , who is of a North African Muslim background , has a rather diverse ethnic heritage . Would she be what you all might consider to be white , and if not then what category would you place her in ? I mean , spoiler , in addition to North African , Arab , and Sub-Saharan African , she is also of Spanish descent . But , as I asked before , are Spaniards even white , and if not , what are they ?

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]