Edmund Burke: Admirable Tory - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I may be Left-Wing but I think Edmund Burke, former UK PM, is quite a good political analyst.

What do you think of his works and thoughts?
By fastspawn
Are we thinking of the same edmund burke? The 18th century philosopher who detested radical changes?
By redcarpet
Yes. He wrote against the French Revolution.
By Demosthenes
Guys...can we make this into a debate thread of some kind...and not jsut post one-liners back and forth? Thank you.

-Demo
By Comrade Ogilvy
Edmund Burke was perhaps the most gifted statesman of all time. He accurately predicted all of the consequences of the French Revolution, and it was through his inspired actions in Parliament that nascent Jacobinism never came to Great Britain. He supported the American Colonists during the American Revolution, and opposed British imperialism, believing that Great Britain ought to withdraw from India.
By fastspawn
As i have not delved deeply into Burke's works could anyone enlighten me on him?

1. Which consequences did he predict? Did any of his predictions prove false?
2. What was his reasons for supporting the Americans Colonists?
3. What was his reasons for supporting Indian Independence?
4. How did he prevent Jacobism from coming to England?
By redcarpet
He sort of said that the French republic would become a dictatorship, due to the corruption of power and ferocity of human emotion.

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]