Dark Wallet - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Rainbow Crow
[youtube]Ouo7Q6Cf_yc[/youtube]

The guy from Defense Distributed is so hardcore, he really makes me I have donated a bit, if not a bitcoin, of money to his operation. While he's waiting for the lawsuit over his 3d printed gun to inevitably shut down the original form of DD (who made the first 3d-printed gun, it's plastic but it can shoot at least once), he's apparently staying active with other Libertarian projects.

Rather than hand a user’s bitcoins off to a typical Bitcoin laundry service that must be trusted to send back another more anonymous bitcoin, trustless mixing bundles together a collection of Bitcoin transactions and simultaneously sends them to new Bitcoin addresses that are also controlled by the same users; Since no one watching the transactions can see whose coins went where, the technique erases any ownership-identifying traces on the coins, while also avoiding the problem of trusting a third-party service to sufficiently mix the coins and not to simply steal them.

The software, which is intended to be a browser plug-in for Chrome and Firefox, would automatically coordinate the process with other users over the anonymity service Tor or similar services to further hide users’ identities.

I have no idea how this would work in practice but it sure sounds interesting.

Here is the indiegogo link, get donating people http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bitcoin-dark-wallet
By Rainbow Crow
Am I the only one excited about this or is it just in the wrong section?

I am really interested in the possibilities of crypto-currency because it might have the potential to make government more of an "opt-in" arrangement. Since crypto-currency will require infrastructure to work, I don't imagine this would be much like how anarchy is usually portrayed. I think that government would continue to exist in many of the same ways. But a lot of the coercive elements that we see in government, not only in terms of taxation but when someone is forced to do work for another, these elements might become more limited if there were a greater emphasis or switch to a crypto-currency like bitcoin.

I also did some math. There are 12 million bitcoins right now (probably more in the future). At its smallest increment, a satoshi is worth 0.00000001 BTC.

That means the total currency value for bitcoins, in terms of satoshi, would be 1,200,000,000 million satoshis. That's over a billion million satoshis. So there is enough bitcoin for everyone in the world, should the experiment not be shut down somehow.

I don't really understand the details of the so-called "trustless mixing" mechanic that they are trying to include in DW but the cryptography on a bitcoin seems to be very secure. I have been researching cryptography a bit to try and get a better understanding of this but apparently the password or code breaker for each bitcoin is a string 78 zeroes in numerical length, so that even writing out the number of digits would be too big for a PoFo post and posting an actual password larger than the number of atoms in the known universe. This is far beyond the ability of any computer system to ever crack with brute-force guessing.

I don't think such passwords are even used in the real world, rather it is only useful for something that you never want to have opened, such as a bitcoin.
By onemalehuman
Rainbow Crow wrote:Am I the only one excited about this or is it just in the wrong section?

Yes you are as it is most likely a scam service, or it is big brother getting the con artists to trap themselves by exposing an entire global network using the system.

I worked as a cable splicer for a phone company when they were bring caller id on line. There is no such thing as aynonimity anymore. Yes it is true people do not watch or listen, that doesn't mean it isn't recorded by technology.

All these regulation about companies keeping their e-mails for years, paper trail is now a digital trail. ruling elites never allow anything to go untraceable, they(ruling elites) cannot even trust themselves as a collective group.

Tyranny is ruthless and the only grace they grant is for blind obedience to their social narrative. It is not a follower's job to question why, it is their duty to do or die trying.
By Figlio di Moros
Bitcoins are only useful for black markets and idiots; they're otherwise worthless, and when they cease to be "mined" they'll quickly deteriorate in value as they quickly become unusable.
By nucklepunche
I think we are increasingly coming toward a future where we may see traditional currency existing alongside other alternative currencies within the same jurisdiction. I think that there will eventually be a movement toward a natural evolution toward one world currency, just as I believe there is a natural evolution toward English becoming the main global language (the reasons I believe English and not some alternative like Mandarin, Spanish, French or Esperanto will become the global language are many, and require a separate topic), and there is nothing governments can do about it. I think government attempts to regulate access to guns, drugs, and other such things are pretty much a lost cause at this point.

So the future will indeed be a more libertarian place than it is now, however it will never be purely libertarian in the orthodox sense. Less government does not imply a total free market. Governments will still exist in the background to some extent and will regulate economies to some extent. In essence the future will be quasi-libertarian, although it will never satisfy the purists.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]

NOVA SCOTIA (New Scotland, 18th Century) No fu[…]

If people have that impression then they're just […]