Why 3D Printing Is Overhyped - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

No, properly made buildings do that.
mum wrote:No, properly made buildings do that.

Well, since the average person does not know how to detail and build structurally sound tilt-up construction, regulations are an effective tool to ensure that buildings are made properly.
I think there is a good case for a system that doesn't rely on the immoral practice of appropriation to obtain those ends. Just because it is doesn't mean it has to be.
mum wrote:I think there is a good case for a system that doesn't rely on the immoral practice of appropriation to obtain those ends.

Just because it is doesn't mean it has to be.

Like I said, if you can come up with another method, I'm all ears.
You are already discussing it in another thread. It is also off topic for this thread.
Still, it's one thing to 3d print a small house out of concrete, or even make a concrete house from a single pour mould. It's quite another thing to make a concrete house with central HVAC, wiring and plumbing. They're basically making bunkers, not houses.
Igor Antunov wrote:Given some high altitude climate conditions, bunkers are useful.

The lack of insulation is a problem.

Nothing stopping you from adding that later, as with all construction. The most troublesome elements are always the walls and the roof.

This does not create the walls and the roof. At most, it creates the structure, and you can then use this to support the walls, roof, doors, windows, waterproofing, services, finishes, millwork (or casework or built-in furniture or whatever you call it), equipment, lighting, etc. that also are part of a house.

The main problem with modern 3D printing is that you only have one material in each printing.
The applications are amazing. I don't think it's over-hyped.

How A Chinese Company 3-D Printed 10 Houses In A Day
http://www.businessinsider.com/this-vid ... day-2014-4

I Designed My Own 3D Printed Replacement Leg
http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/04/1 ... 2BFacebook

My friend is starting up a company doing this stuff
http://nolimitscreations.com/
What commonly gets overlooked about 3d printing (for the average person) is that it can be extremely useful for printing one-off parts that will allow you to modify or repair the things you use every day. Take this example:

a man broke the lock on his car door, and instead of going to his dealer and paying $250, he printed out the part he needed and fixed his car in a few hours for almost free.

It might be a little complex for someone who isn't a tinkerer, but you don't have to be a genius by any means to do something like that.
Brother of Karl wrote:What commonly gets overlooked about 3d printing (for the average person) is that it can be extremely useful for printing one-off parts that will allow you to modify or repair the things you use every day. Take this example:

a man broke the lock on his car door, and instead of going to his dealer and paying $250, he printed out the part he needed and fixed his car in a few hours for almost free.

It might be a little complex for someone who isn't a tinkerer, but you don't have to be a genius by any means to do something like that.

I don't think it is really overlooked as such. It's still fairly new, and it requires some technical skills to draw 3D objects, even if it is just using sketchup.
Decent printers are still fairly expensive too but that will continue to come down as quality goes up (the market at its best).
I guess the term over hyped is quite subjective as well, but in terms of significantly decentralizing manufacturing it is over hyped. In terms of individual users making custom parts or the ease at which R&D firms can save money and time on prototyping (including small startups) it is not over hyped.
the discussion on bioprinting of human cells for research purposes (testing new drugs on live human tissue)

A not to be underestimated application as well, also don't forget printing out collagen scaffolds for creating transplant organs. Cells are tricky to work with however, especially stem cells, so there is a lot of work to be done on the 3D printing thereof.

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 confli[…]

Well if you arrest people for not approving of is[…]

A millennial who went to college in his 30s when […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]