Console wars - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Nattering Nabob
Console wars will not be won but the lead will change as it always has.

Some brands will drop out only to be replaced by others.

Currently in the lead and crushing the competition: Wii.
By Zagadka
Although far superior to any console ever conceived, it has no relevance.

Wrong. It has tons of relevance, for what games are developed and how they are developed. Consoles tend to cater to only certain genres, and game company funding is slim.

Consoles are great for when you have siblings, friends, etc to play with in the same room. PCs are far superior in complex games with greater control and more options (RTS, RPGs, etc). The combat elements of PC ports to consoles tends to be incredibly dumbed down... and until Halo, every console FPS was just sheer and utter crap - and most still are. Even with that, a keyboard and mouse can pwn any controller on the market.

It is annoying, since some PC games are designed to be limited to consoles and designed around their controllers... of course, I have a X-Box 360 USB PC controller for those kinds, but they are rare.
By Adrien
Beyond genres, it's also the playing habits that are different between consoles and PCs. I mean, personnally I want to be able to play quickly, just put a CD in the console, turn the TV, seat on the couch, play then leave. No worries about drivers, changing your graphic card, having resolution problem. It's just gaming. And that rocks.
By Noelnada
No worries about drivers, changing your graphic card, having resolution problem.

It bother me less to worry about drivers, graphic card and resolution than worry about the money i'll have to spend (and earn before that) in the videogame shop and the choice i'll have to make to pick the right game :|
By Adrien
Well personally I don't take it as an issue because I just don't do pirated games. I bought each and every one of my video games in my life, though for the PS2 I only bought one new hehe, otherwise it's used. But yeah from my point of view money would be even more of an issue with a computer if in addition to buying the games I had to buy hardware very frequently.
By Noelnada
I bought each and every one of my video games in my life, though for the PS2 I only bought one new hehe, otherwise it's used. But yeah from my point of view money would be even more of an issue with a computer if in addition to buying the games I had to buy hardware very frequently.

I'm stronly opposed to intellectual property. I don't mind paying for services like servers and stuff when it is linked to videogames, but i never pay for a game in itself. I think that expecially since 50 Euros sounds to me just like robbery. And i feel disappointed by your attitude Adrien, because i think that you don't contribue to the right side of this dialectic between the corporate establishment and "pirates".
By Adrien
I'm sorry hehe but I've been playing video games since I was a kid, and I want to support the industry because I really enjoy these peoples' work. I know EA is nothing like what it used to be, and even then, as it has become a giant cash pump, but Nintendo, Sega, Konami, Capcom, all of these companies gave me great times in front of my console, and I feel attached to them. Especially the first two.

So it's my way of saying 'thanks guys', and make sure there always will be a next game from them.
By Zagadka
I'm stronly opposed to intellectual property.

So a famous physicist (or other author) dictates his book to a secretary, who types it. The secretary should be paid while the author isn't?
By NYYS
The 360 is awesome, it's the only system I have and I'm very happy with it.

Business-wise Nintendo won, as Dan pointed out.
By Dan
and until Halo, every console FPS was just sheer and utter crap

*ahem*

You forgot Goldeneye 64, one of the greatest FPS' ever.
By Godstud
Halo was hyped immensely and wasn't nearly the awe-inspiring thing that was originally going to come out on PC. It ended up being OK but not spectacular.

Goldeneye was GREAT!

Glad Wii is winning since I like things driven by popularity and not just money.

Tip:Whatever you guys do, NEVER buy a Sony BlueRay Disc player. Buy a game console with it or another brand. I had mine die a week after the 1 year warranty ran out and it was a terrible BD player! Panasonic kicks it's butt or even PS.
By Dr House
Console FPS games suck. Full fucking stop.

Don't care how good the game actually is, I will never get used to trying to aim with a gamepad stick. Give me a mouse and a keyboard any day for a FPS.
By Godstud
I'm with you there, Dr. House!
PCs for FPS games ANY day!
By kuros_taken
I agree with Dr House. FPS games suck, which is why PS3 fails, FPS is all they have to offer. I got a kick out of the zapper from Nintendo, though, why has that not been implemented further? I know they exist out there, but why aren't they popular anymore? With todays huge televisions and lightning technology it just boggles me. My favorite new console would have to be the Wii for ingenuity and overall entertainment value, my favorite all-time- the NES and Genesis are neck and neck. As far as future-gen consoles go, I have a feeling that something/someone new is going to blow our current video game definitions out of the water.
By Godstud
Nintendo knows that gameplay wins out over graphics all the time.
By Thunderhawk
I wonder if there will be a motion sensitive Zapper made for the Wii. With a suitable game to go with it.
By Adrien
Well you can stick the Wiimote in the Zapper extension and basically becomes one really.
By Thunderhawk
Well you can stick the Wiimote in the Zapper extension and basically becomes one really.

Is there a cool FPS to go with it?
By Adrien
After a quick Google search it seems there is already a handful of differently shaped Zapper extensions for the Wii, neat. But I guess every FPS becomes a Zapper-friendly game, and I think the latest Call of Duty or something like that was associated with it at launch. Oh and I know it got bad press, probably because people were not used to the idea yet, but Red Steel, released for the Wii's launch, is a super fun game.
By Strikeman
kuros_taken wrote:I agree with Dr House. FPS games suck, which is why PS3 fails, FPS is all they have to offer.

The PS3 probably has only one or two FPS exclusives.

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]