SSD reaches 1TB - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Oblisk
pureSilicon Debuts World's First 1TB 2.5-Inch SSD -- Most Compact SSD per GB

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release ... 36099.html

It's amazing how fast SSD density is growing. I didn't think we'd see a TB model this early.
By Thunderhawk
All we need now is better interactive hardware (the new touchscreens are nice) and cheap (and durable) displays and a new age of mobile computing could come about. I can see a time (in the not to distant future) where public computers are just touch-monitors, mobos and a processor, with people carrying their HDDs and the various programs they use on flash.
By Noelnada
All we need now is a massive depression to put all the middle-class in trailer parks to slow the coming of the techno-slave age. :|
By savemysanityplease
Is there a relationship between the density on a silicon chip and the amount of heat generated during operation? Can this breakthrough be evaluated with the surprising research finding that Google searches use a lot of energy? I would have searched myself but I didn't want the oceans to boil off and the world to melt.
By Oblisk
Is there a relationship between the density on a silicon chip and the amount of heat generated during operation?

Yes.
By Douglas
with people carrying their HDDs and the various programs they use on flash.

Doubt it, why not just store it all remotely?

Physical media in the hands of the ordinary user is going to come to and end, we might not even see these 1tb ssds hit the open market.
By Thunderhawk
Doubt it, why not just store it all remotely?

I like the "cloud" idea, but Im not sold on it yet.
And then there are those places where computers will exist, but not have consistent and relatively cheap broad band access.
By Rancid
even if 'cloud' computing takes off. There will always be a need for a hard on hand back of stuff.

i worked on flash memory for a little while. good stuff. At the end of the day, it's just about reducing the support circuits and process size.
By Zagadka
It's amazing how fast SSD density is growing. I didn't think we'd see a TB model this early.

I doubt it will reign long as a source of primary memory, though it is vastly superior to what we have now.
By Douglas
I'm not a big fan of SSD. It has a greatly reduced life compared to other forms of media. Yes there are ways around it but there shouldn't need to be. Digital media is there to preserve in ways that were not possible in the past, SSD flies in the face of that. It's not a great primary storage medium for that reason.
By Rancid
MRAM is another form of solid state memory that could be used. many people believe it will be better than flash (which is what is used in that SSD)

The interesting part about flash memory is that you are literally destroying the ram cells with every single write to the device.
By Oblisk
I doubt it will reign long as a source of primary memory, though it is vastly superior to what we have now.

Memory? :?:

I'm not a big fan of SSD. It has a greatly reduced life compared to other forms of media.

False. SSD has a much longer MTBF than regular hard drives.

Yes there are ways around it but there shouldn't need to be. Digital media is there to preserve in ways that were not possible in the past, SSD flies in the face of that. It's not a great primary storage medium for that reason.

:?:
By Douglas
False. SSD has a much longer MTBF than regular hard drives.

But it has a limited number of possible write cycles. While hard drives may fail more they do have the possibility to last longer than SSDs because SSDs are guaranteed to eventually fail.
By Oblisk
While hard drives may fail more they do have the possibility to last longer than SSDs because SSDs are guaranteed to eventually fail.

...I cannot see the logic in your statement. Elaborate.
By Douglas
Okay SSDs are guaranteed to fail after a number of write cycles, hard drives aren't. So SSDs have a life span that is measure in the number of write cycles. Hard drives lack this limitation and as long as they don't fail for other reasons they will continue working. Failure becomes rarer the longer a hard drive lasts ie. newer hard drives break more. SSDs have a converse rule which reads as a lifespan.

The fact that you're a genocide denier is pretty […]

@Rancid When the Republicans say the justice […]

:lol: ‘Caracalla’ and ‘Punic’, @FiveofSwords .[…]

Current Jewish population estimates in Mexico com[…]