Do numbers exist? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Harmattan
So dt cannot be a real number? Interesting. Fine. Yet it works. So it's just that mathematics cannot explain why. By the way, I see the infinite appearing here and there under mathematicians' pens even though it is not a real either.

See? I have no problem going there. Physics is right: there are only real numbers. And nature does not use infinitesimal numbers actually, see Heisenberg. Physicists only use them to model and calculate derivatives.

Huh, suddenly I wonder if derivatives in nature are conform to the analytical results or rather to numerical approximations with a granularity tied to Heisenberg's constants. I bet for the latter.
By Besoeker
lucky wrote:There are obviously no "infinitesimal real numbers". For instance, there is no positive real number x such that x < 1/n for all positive integers n.

But we don't deal with just integers in real life.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Marjorie Taylor Greene is your woman. She hates s[…]

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]