Stephen Hawking: 'There are no black holes' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Basically he is now postulating that the notion of an inescapable event horizon is not a factor. He claims that the gravitationally collapsed body of matter has no event horizon and can be escaped.

Most physicists foolhardy enough to write a paper claiming that “there are no black holes” — at least not in the sense we usually imagine — would probably be dismissed as cranks. But when the call to redefine these cosmic crunchers comes from Stephen Hawking, it’s worth taking notice. In a paper posted online, the physicist, based at the University of Cambridge, UK, and one of the creators of modern black-hole theory, does away with the notion of an event horizon, the invisible boundary thought to shroud every black hole, beyond which nothing, not even light, can escape.

“There is no escape from a black hole in classical theory, but quantum theory enables energy and information to escape.”

In its stead, Hawking’s radical proposal is a much more benign “apparent horizon”, which only temporarily holds matter and energy prisoner before eventually releasing them, albeit in a more garbled form.

“There is no escape from a black hole in classical theory,” Hawking told Nature. Quantum theory, however, “enables energy and information to escape from a black hole”. A full explanation of the process, the physicist admits, would require a theory that successfully merges gravity with the other fundamental forces of nature. But that is a goal that has eluded physicists for nearly a century. “The correct treatment,” Hawking says, “remains a mystery.”

http://www.nature.com/news/stephen-hawk ... es-1.14583
Is it not true that a permeable event horizon is already part of accepted theory? Black hole evaporation due to quantum effects was discussed by Hawking himself as far back as 1974.

Hawking radiation

This should not be interpreted to mean that black holes do not exist, but that they may not be completely stable.
quetzalcoatl wrote:Is it not true that a permeable event horizon is already part of accepted theory? Black hole evaporation due to quantum effects was discussed by Hawking himself as far back as 1974.

Hawking radiation

That is something else entirely.

Has Hawkins every actually come up with anything useful, or at least original?

He came up with most of today's mathematics and theory surrounding black holes. So I assume people will take notice of this and look into it.
Has Hawkins every actually come up with anything useful, or at least original?

His name is Hawking, and yes he has.
Ter wrote:He never got a Nobel prize for a reason.

But the reason has nothing to do with his achievements or lack of. You can get Nobel in Physics only after your hypothesis/theories have been tested true by various experiments conducted by independent agencies. You can't get Nobel just based on mathematical models, that's why Einstein got Nobel for "Photoelectric Effect" and not for his more important work i.e. "Relativity" which was verified through experiments after his death.
Ter wrote:Mainly criminals like Arafat and Kissinger can get it.
I'm not one of Kissengers fans. I don't agree with his grand strategy on China, but I fail to see what was criminal about him. Dealing with non Liberal Democracies is inevitably a dirty business. Our Communist, third world nationalist and Muslim enemmies have little in the way of scruples. "Playing by the rules" is not always a luxury we can afford. Which as a supporter of Israel you should well know.
Rich wrote: I don't agree with his grand strategy on China, but I fail to see what was criminal about him.

Just one example : Kissinger was behind the decision to support Pakistan against the breakaway province of East Pakistan, even when it became known that hundreds of thousands of civilians were being massacred in cold blood. Kissinger's decision was based on geopolitical reasoning. The Americans even sent warships to the Bay of Bengal to intimidate India into stop assisting the Bengalis fighting for independence.
I am not a student of history but I am sure there are many other events and policies where Kissinger will not come out smelling of roses.
Ter wrote:even when it became known that hundreds of thousands of civilians were being massacred in cold blood.
That doesn't make it wrong in my book. This was part of a very high stakes game, the worst outcome of which could have been the complete elimination of the human race. You see this why I've always objected so strongly to our support of Saddam in the eighties. That wasn't justified by the cold war. Ronald Reagan was actually allied with the "evil empire" (Soviet Union) in his support of Saddam. As we were also totally in bed with Saudi, Pakistan and the Afghan Mugahadine it couldn't be justified as war against Islam either.
layman wrote:Jessup doesnt even like poor disabled Brits it seems

Hawkins ain't poor for a start, and what does the fact that he is British and disabled have to do with his work?

Igor Antunov wrote:He came up with most of today's mathematics and theory surrounding black holes. So I assume people will take notice of this and look into it.

Almost nothing is really known about black-holes and what we think we do know is no doubt false. With respect to Hawkins, his work on the research of black-holes and the universe while taking a genius mind to take on such a task amounts to nothing more than guess work.
jessupjonesjnr87 wrote:Almost nothing is really known about black-holes and what we think we do know is no doubt false. With respect to Hawkins, his work on the research of black-holes and the universe while taking a genius mind to take on such a task amounts to nothing more than guess work.

You're being tendentious to the point of absurdity. Quite a lot is known about black holes. Here is a description of the reasoning surrounding the identification of Cygnus X-1 as one such object:

The infalling matter that emits X-rays does not fall into the black hole at a steady rate, but rather more sporadically, which causes an observable variation in X-ray intensity. Additionally, if the X-ray source is in a binary system, and we see it from certain angles, the X-rays will be periodically cut off as the source is eclipsed by the companion star. When looking for black hole candidates, all these things are taken into account. Many X-ray satellites have scanned the skies for X-ray sources that might be black hole candidat

Cygnus X-1 (Cyg X-1) is the longest known of the black hole candidates. It is a highly variable and irregular source, with X-ray emission that flickers in hundredths of a second. An object cannot flicker faster than the time required for light to travel across the object. In a hundredth of a second, light travels 3,000 kilometers. This is one fourth of Earth's diameter. So the region emitting the X-rays around Cyg X-1 is rather small. Its companion star, HDE 226868 is a B0 supergiant with a surface temperature of about 31,000 K. Spectroscopic observations show that the spectral lines of HDE 226868 oscillate with a period of 5.6 days. From the mass-luminosity relation, the mass of this supergiant is calculated as 30 times the mass of the Sun. Cyg X-1 must have a mass of about 7 solar masses, or it would not exert enough gravitational pull to cause the wobble in the spectral lines of HDE 226868. Other estimate put the mass of Cyg X-1 to as much as 16 solar masses. Since 7 solar masses is too large to be a white dwarf or neutron star, it must be a black hole.

NASA/Goddard

Since there is presently no way of closely examining these candidates, it is necessarily true that a lot of induction from distant measurements is required. To call this "nothing more than guesswork" is ignorance supreme - it may or may not be false, as you suggest, but it is derived from what we do know about the nature of the universe. And there are plenty of smart and knowledgeable folks going over his ideas with a critical fine tooth comb.
quetzalcoatl wrote:Is it not true that a permeable event horizon is already part of accepted theory? Black hole evaporation due to quantum effects was discussed by Hawking himself as far back as 1974.

Hawking radiation

This should not be interpreted to mean that black holes do not exist, but that they may not be completely stable.

You should read Black hole wars, this still creates problems in information theory because you can't get information about what fell in the black hole. This leads to violation of energy conservation.
layman wrote:He is a massive troll these days - bored maybe?

I remember when he said the end of the world was coming a while back. Jessup doesnt even like poor disabled Brits it seems

No, you're just in the substance metaphysics box. I think you can't juxtapose your identity because it is based on the false presupposition that classic western culture is ideal.
Ter wrote:He never got a Nobel prize for a reason.
People are mainly fascinated by him because of his physical circumstances.

You're a fool, his mathematical exploration of singularity was a part of the process that led to discreditation of the steady state model paving the way for ΛCDM.

Zionism was never a religious movement basing i[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]

https://x.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1801949727069[…]

I submit this informed piece by the late John Pil[…]