Top 5 Scientists/Mathematicians - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Rancid wrote:You can't be a power engineer. You simply cannot if you are not understanding this.

I have already given you ample evidence with diagrams, pics, and numerical values.
You, on the other had have yet to reciprocate in any way comparable.

Did you ever work out what this is??

Last edited by Besoeker on 07 Mar 2016 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Orestes wrote:Fucking nerds. I'm angry that I don't understand any of the above discussion.

The reason why earlier I asked about Leonardo is because he's mentioned in this article I've been reading, which argues against seeing Renaissance as that big of a breakthrough in scientific thought.

Also, all of the lists lack the Person of Jesus Christ - the greatest scientist of the human heart.

Speaking of debunking historical myths, and to get the thread back on topic.

Aristotle's physics is very interesting and partially correct. I've been trying to work out some of it in modern mathematical terms and doing so is really hard for very non-trivial reasons.

For example, it would seem that Aristotle was saying that effectively F = mv, since that equation would imply an absolute frame of rest. But the more you think about it, the less sense it makes. Except when you also consider the possibility that his physics not only requires an absolute frame of rest but also an absolute coordinate system. With that in mind, you can assume the newtonian definition of force, F_net = ma, but that there is always a resistive medium filling space. The resistance of this medium increases as you approach the center. This comes from the idea that the natural place of Earth (the densest medium) is below that of water (which is less dense) which in turn is below the natural place of air (even less dense) which is finally below the natural place of fire (the lightest medium). In that case, the force law becomes F_net = ma = F - hv, where h is the resistance of the medium.

Solving this equation for the velocity of a free particle gives v = v_0*Exp[-h(t-t_0)/m]. So a heavier object falling to the Earth with nonzero initial velocity will fall faster than a lighter object with the same velocity. Furthermore, it will slow down exponentially as it falls. This is exactly what happens for objects falling through air (as opposed to vacuum). Error. See below. But from this discrepency one could deduce the existence of a force of gravity.

Now, if we assume that the resistance of the Earth is infinite, then, when the object hits the Earth its velociy goes to zero, exactly as observed.

EDIT: Actually, for the case of falling object you also have to take the force of gravity into account. Then, the equation of motion becomes ma = -mg - hv, and the solution is, the remarkably simple v = -mg/h. So an objet will fall to the Earth at a constant speed that is directly proportional to its mass (or rather weight = mg, which is the quantity that Aristotle refes to), and inversely proportional to the resistance of the medium. Thus, in Aristotle's physics, transitory acceleration phases disappear, and all objects fall at their terminal velocity. It also follows that vacuum cannot exist, since zero resistance would imply infinite velocity for a falling body.
Last edited by Saeko on 07 Mar 2016 22:40, edited 2 times in total.
Rancid, just stroke his ego and get it over way, it's the only thing that will end this.

Fiiineee.

Besoeker, I take back everything I've said, and will bow down to your vast knowledge. I shall also bow to your branch manager.
Rancid wrote:Besoeker, I take back everything I've said, and will bow down to your vast knowledge. I shall also bow to your branch manager.

Don't you agree that he is a handsome beast?
Of course I would say that.
But science had a part to play.
Saeko wrote: It also follows that vacuum cannot exist, since zero resistance would imply infinite velocity for a falling body.

Only if it fell from an infinite distance and you take the simplistic approach

May I remind you of something you posted earlier:
"That is completely false. Current can definitely flow through vacuum where the voltage difference between any two points is zero."
If vacuun cannot exist that point becomes..........well, pointless.

But vacuum tubes or valves exist and were used particularly in early days of electronics. Diodes, triodes, pentodes for example. Of course they have been superseded by solid state devices - I posted a pic of one a page or so ago. They can handle currents and voltages that vacuum that couldn't get even remotely close to.
Ummon wrote:Who are the scientists or mathematicians that you think see/saw the universe/life/whatever most clearly?

Newton is the colossus, above the first rank of both empirical science and math. No one else comes close. Then in no particular order there's Aristotle, who was no mathematician, but basically created science -- systematic application of reason to observation -- Maxwell, who completed Newton's work, systematizing essentially everything we experience in the physical universe except life, Darwin (another non-mathematician), who saw life clearly for the first time, and thus put the decisive knife into God, and Einstein, for first moving science beyond what common sense considers possible.

It's surely more than coincidence that Newton, Maxwell and Darwin were all British; but exactly what it means is not clear, especially as the extreme over-representation of Jews among Nobel laureates in science is also notable.
Rancid wrote:Maxwell
Faraday
Ohm
Ampere
Volta
Tesla

Volta = Ohm x Ampere

Yea, I went there.

I would add the great Thomas Edison, who is generally given the title of inventor. However, his many experiments and observations to achieve those many inventions make him a scientist also.

I would eliminate Darwin as a scientist. He was simply a naturalist observing nature at best, because his speculations were not really science in my opinion. I would replace him with French scientist Louis Pasteur and his Law of Biogenesis.
And you still haven't worked out what that 50mm round thing is?

Is it a flying saucer? It's a flying saucer, isn't it? Full of little, microscopic aliens....
Hindsite wrote:I would add the great Thomas Edison, who is generally given the title of inventor. However, his many experiments and observations to achieve those many inventions make him a scientist also.

Certainly Edison did some science, but he was no great scientist. He provided no great new insight.
I would eliminate Darwin as a scientist.

And replace him with who, Moses?
He was simply a naturalist observing nature at best, because his speculations were not really science in my opinion.

What nonsense. Darwin used empirical observation to arrive at the central insight of biology. He is hands down, indisputably, the greatest biologist.
I would replace him with French scientist Louis Pasteur and his Law of Biogenesis.

Hehe. Presumably because it rules out abiogenesis....?

Your holy book is not a science text, sorry.
Besoeker wrote:And you still haven't worked out what that 50mm round thing is?

Hindsite wrote:Could it be a battery?

It's a semiconductor chip, a fairly big one, used in power electronics. In this particular case, from a fairly high power motor speed controller. It's actually the internal part with casing removed.
Besoeker wrote:It's a semiconductor chip, a fairly big one, used in power electronics. In this particular case, from a fairly high power motor speed controller. It's actually the internal part with casing removed.

I have never seen a semiconductor chip shaped like that, but it does have the appearance of a round circuit board, which I have never seen either.
I have never seen a semiconductor chip shaped like that, but it does have the appearance of a round circuit board, which I have never seen either.

Well, that was helpful. Thank you, Hindsite.
Besoeker wrote:It's a semiconductor chip, a fairly big one, used in power electronics. In this particular case, from a fairly high power motor speed controller. It's actually the internal part with casing removed.

Hindsite wrote:I have never seen a semiconductor chip shaped like that, but it does have the appearance of a round circuit board, which I have never seen either.

It isn't a circuit board (PCB). It is a single silicon wafer on a tungsten backing disk.
In fairness, you have probably never seen a naked silicon chip.
Besoeker wrote:It isn't a circuit board (PCB). It is a single silicon wafer on a tungsten backing disk.

Naked?
I didn't even know they wore clothes.
Besoeker wrote:It isn't a circuit board (PCB). It is a single silicon wafer on a tungsten backing disk.

Hindsite wrote:Naked?
I didn't even know they wore clothes.

I'll humour you.
A chip like this is normally inside a a ceramic or moulded casing and, in operation, pressure mounted between two heatsinks.

What you see is the chip removed from that casing.
I did that because it had failed and a visual can give a clue as to the cause failure.
I'll humour you.
A chip like this is normally inside a a ceramic or moulded casing and, in operation, pressure mounted between two heatsinks.

What you see is the chip removed from that casing.
I did that because it had failed and a visual can give a clue as to the cause failure.

Fascinating. Please tell us more, Besoeker.
Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]