Are we getting stupider? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

There are many, many bright young people around, unfortunately, as is usually the case, money doesn't always accompany such talent.
In America, where money does arise from talent, some of these people can occasionally become 'visionary' inventors, much like Elon MUSK does by making money work for his ideas.

Albert EINSTEIN wasn't particularly 'bright', he was a clerk with time on his hands, which he used to good effect.

As he himself said, he wasn't 'intelligent', but, what I have, is, 'imagination' & that is more important when applied to any problem exercising one's mind.
Nonsense wrote:There are many, many bright young people around, unfortunately, as is usually the case, money doesn't always accompany such talent.
In America, where money does arise from talent, some of these people can occasionally become 'visionary' inventors, much like Elon MUSK does by making money work for his ideas.

Albert EINSTEIN wasn't particularly 'bright', he was a clerk with time on his hands, which he used to good effect.

As he himself said, he wasn't 'intelligent', but, what I have, is, 'imagination' & that is more important when applied to any problem exercising one's mind.

Stupider?
Good question.
Dumbed down?
Possibly.
It's easy for us to fall into thinking everybody is getting dumber because we, as a culture and people, haven't found a way to understand the context of new forms and distribution of information yet.

If you go back to the inventing of the printing press in Europe, something we hail as the begging of the enlightenment, it's a stream of constant information fail over and over again.

It's Protestants eating babies here; Catholics stuffing food in their ass there; Jesus is coming next week; and if you aren't careful, the masses of women fucking Satan at this moment are going to kill you with magic.

It took a while for people to sort the masses of free information that was now being distributed.

And we see certain reflections of that now with the internet.
Suntzu wrote:Intelligence has little to do with information or its processing.

You can make that argument, but then there is no way to measure intelligence, and we're all just yelling at each other based upon our feelings about who is dumb.

Which seems to me especially useless.
Suntzu wrote:Stupid folks are having more babies than smart folks, what do you think? :lol:

Apparently, migrants into the U.K are producing offspring at a 4-1 ratio compared to the British.

Is that because:-

a/ They are 'stupider' ?
b/ They feel 'insecure' in their status here?
c/ Because 'British' young people are the product of 'Labour's' brainwashing in our education system that makes them sexually 'confused'?
d/ Because migrants are 'smarter' than the dumbed-down 'modern' generation of British people?
I think the answer is no.
Maybe lazier mentally in some areas.
My father could set his seeder to so many bushels per acre and do the calculations in his head.
I can but I'd want a calculator or a spreadsheet.
My son would wouldn't know what a bushel is even if it slapped him in the chops. Until he googled it.
The Immortal Goon wrote:You can make that argument, but then there is no way to measure intelligence, and we're all just yelling at each other based upon our feelings about who is dumb.

Which seems to me especially useless.

No way to measure intelligence? Ever hear of an I.Q. test? Stupid folks don't believe they work. Most everyone else does.
Suntzu wrote:Ever hear of an I.Q. test?

What a wonderful idea. How do you propose to conduct one without information or processing information?

Suntzu wrote:Intelligence has little to do with information or its processing.
No, people are not getting stupider, but American education is suffering.

IQ tests are not a great test of intelligence, despite what some people think. IQ tests intelligence, but not knowledge. Like all IQ tests, it does not attempt to measure the amount of information you have learned but rather your capacity to learn. 'Even the best experts in the field, do not fully agree on what, exactly, intelligence is, nor do they agree on what the theoretical "highest IQ score" actually is.'

What Do IQ Tests Test?: Interview with Psychologist W. Joel Schneider
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/be ... schneider/
Knowledge is not in decline. Knowledge is linked to education, not intelligence, too.

Your religious statement about knowledge is rubbish.
That's not an argument. It's not even on topic. Are you trying to advertise a book you like?
Godstud wrote:No, people are not getting stupider, but American education is suffering.

IQ tests are not a great test of intelligence, despite what some people think. IQ tests intelligence, but not knowledge. Like all IQ tests, it does not attempt to measure the amount of information you have learned but rather your capacity to learn. 'Even the best experts in the field, do not fully agree on what, exactly, intelligence is, nor do they agree on what the theoretical "highest IQ score" actually is.'

What Do IQ Tests Test?: Interview with Psychologist W. Joel Schneider
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/be ... schneider/

That's what I.Q. tests are supposed to do! No one has claimed that I.Q. tests are perfect. I can sit down and talk a person for 20 minutes and determine which I.Q. quintile he fall in.

You are confusing intelligence with education.
You are confusing intelligence with education.
No. I'm not. Still, knowledge and intelligence go hand in hand.
Suntzu wrote:I have several completely non-verbal I.Q. tests available to me.

Nice. I'm wearing a black shirt. Now please explain how you will conduct an IQ test without information or processing information.
I can tell that you're intelligent, TIG, since I am also wearing a black shirt. I didn't need to talk to someone for 20 minutes to determine that, either. People who aren't as intelligent as us, do. ;)

No, 20 minutes of talking to a person in casual conversation is not going to help you determine their intelligence level. Also, it's not going to tell you where their talents lie.

A simple IQ test(and they are ALL simple) given to some Zulu tribesman isn't going to give you an accurate representation of their intelligence level, but a day in the wilderness with them, will.

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]

https://twitter.com/huwaidaarraf/status/1773389663[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

What wat0n is trying to distract from: https://tw[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1773436787622[…]