Current state of autonomous cars - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Short summary: With respect to hardware Tesla could now support full autonomy. Software still needs to catch up, but Musk believes this will happen in the next 1 or 2 years. They have just released the software update to do lane changes, overtaking other cars, entering and exiting motorways, etc. The most important question is how much safer the computer has to be for it to be acceptable to regulators.

For anybody actually watching the video, I thought the first comment was spot on:
The historical first video of two robots conversing without supervision.
@BigSteve

I'm with you on that one Steve.

@Kaiserschmarrn

Artificial intelligence still needs to catch up in my opinion plus the hardware and software needs to be running on IPv6 and not on IPv4. IPv6 is far more friendly for things like autonomous cars for example and much more secure than IPv4 given that IPSec is mandatory in IPv6 (while it is optional in IPv4). But still, I wouldn't trust autonomous cars. You DEFINATELY want to be sure whatever protocol an autonomous car uses, IF it uses a network, is secure. If cars drive themselves, they are probably going to be using a network and security is going to be big big time important. Guaranteed.

And as we all know, even with IPv6 being more secure than IPv4, NOTHING is 100% secure and there are always weakness a malicious network attacker can exploit. We all know that a car that is in motion is as dangerous as a loaded gun, ESPECIALLY if a malicious network attacker has managed to circumvent security and cause the car to act in malicious ways. Some of these big shot CEOs like to talk a big game and it's OK to be imaginative, but I am here to tell you, you better take network security very seriously if those autonomous cars are going to be relying on networks and driving themselves on the road without a human driver, that's for sure.
I'm more interested in blimp drones than I am automated cars. I remain skeptical that software can compete with humans any time soon in terms of safety for something like cars. There's a lot of unused airspace for slower and more reliable things like blimps, which would also be simpler to program, although they would be getting shot down in certain kinds of areas.

https://dronelife.com/2019/03/13/dronel ... lications/

This company is not about deliveries but the basic idea is a blimp (which has multiple compartments and is probably safer than a plane or a chopper), drone technology and solar panels. It's relatively affordable, reliable and safe flight.
Hong Wu wrote:I'm more interested in blimp drones than I am automated cars. I remain skeptical that software can compete with humans any time soon in terms of safety for something like cars. There's a lot of unused airspace for slower and more reliable things like blimps, which would also be simpler to program, although they would be getting shot down in certain kinds of areas.

https://dronelife.com/2019/03/13/dronel ... lications/

This company is not about deliveries but the basic idea is a blimp (which has multiple compartments and is probably safer than a plane or a chopper), drone technology and solar panels. It's relatively affordable, reliable and safe flight.

You severely underestimate AI technology. It is complex but it is possible to do very complicated tasks with it that are out of reach for 99.9% of people. Playing complicated games for example on a super high level. (Which is more complicated than driving)
@BigSteve QFT.

I'd only want the autonomous function is I was over-tired or impaired in some way. I'd want to drive the rest of the time.
I suspect this is a form of social engineering from liberal-indoctrinated technocrats who can’t let go of their permissive mentality. They have abandoned the option of cracking down on reckless and distracted drivers or requiring more driver training because that might produce results that would lead to charges of profiling or take licenses away from the underprivileged.

So, instead, they hope to simply use technology to prevent people from driving badly. I believe they will fail.

It has already been explained that this type of c[…]

For me Republicanism is masculine and monarchism i[…]

Please provide it again. You have no problem aski[…]

Sure, keep thinking that. Election year is caus[…]