Marriage: what's in it for the man? - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By reddeath26
What about for men who do not believe in having sex before marriage? Or in cultures where marriage has a more significent cultural role?
By Doctor State
What about for men who do not believe in having sex before marriage?
I disagree with those men.
Or in cultures where marriage has a more significant cultural role?

I wouldn't post this thread if we were in one of those cultures.
By reddeath26
Doctor State wrote:I disagree with those men.

That does not prove that marriage is of no benefit to them. Due to their beliefs it has a lot of value. The same applies to men who live in cultures which we are not in. You can not try and make a statement for ALL men then suddenly exclude groups of men. This does not even take into account men who end up staying home in the marriage and not being the bread winner.
By Doctor State
That does not prove that marriage is of no benefit to them. Due to their beliefs it has a lot of value.
Yes, do to their own self-imposed rules of life, marriage is benefits them in that they will not let themselves have sex otherwise. But the question of the OP is challenging that very rule itself. It's a logical corollary to my original question: why should anyone believe in no sex before marriage?

The same applies to men who live in cultures which we are not in. You can not try and make a statement for ALL men then suddenly exclude groups of men.
Show me where I said all men.

This does not even take into account men who end up staying home in the marriage and not being the bread winner.
You're right. When the man plays the role of the wife, marriage sucks for the woman instead of the man.

Lounging around in sweat pants, getting fat, and shopping on someone else's credit card is a great gig if you can score it. You certainly have my blessing.
By reddeath26
Yes, do to their own self-imposed rules of life, marriage is benefits them in that they will not let themselves have sex otherwise. But the question of the OP is challenging that very rule itself. It's a logical corollary to my original question: why should anyone believe in no sex before marriage?

For cultural reasons and/or religious reasons. It would be difficult to provide a simplified explantion which applies to all who choose to wait until marriage. I am quite sure you are aware that to understand an idea you need to understand its cultural context?

Show me where I said all men.

You simply asked for us to provide a man who can benefit from it. If a man is in a culture where due to cultural reasons he benefits then marriage clearly has something it if for him.

You're right. When the man plays the role of the wife, marriage sucks for the woman instead of the man.

Lounging around in sweat pants, getting fat, and shopping on someone else's credit card is a great gig if you can score it. You certainly have my blessing.

Assuming you are referring to arrangements when one stays home and does the house work, raises children etc, then I do not see how these labours are of any less value than paid labours. Simply because they are not getting an income for it does not make their labours less valid.
By Doctor State
For cultural reasons and/or religious reasons. It would be difficult to provide a simplified explantion which applies to all who choose to wait until marriage. I am quite sure you are aware that to understand an idea you need to understand its cultural context?

Then by all means, explain the cultural context so that we can understand it and then critique it.

You simply asked for us to provide a man who can benefit from it.
No, I asked what's in it for the man. There are a handful of Kevin Federlines out there who benefit from marriage. They tap the curve slightly, but have little overall effect on the average.

You know who else benefits from marriage? A maniac who vows to will cut off his own penis on his 30th birthday if he's still single. If you're going to resort to stacking your deck with men who self-impose their own rules to make marriage artificially valuable, we have to include him too.
If a man is in a culture where due to cultural reasons he benefits then marriage clearly has something it if for him.
Yes, someone also mentioned Kuwait, because they give couples huge benefits for getting married.

I am very pleased that people have to resort scouring the Earth and naming non-US locations to find places where men benefit from marriage. because it certainly ain't here.

I'd say marriage benefits men in some Muslim countries (as sex outside of wedlock is taboo, the government distributes more benefits and men can demand sex from their wives, assuming the latter is true), except that the polygamous institution of marriage doesn't benefit men as much as one might think. For every many with 8 wives, there are seven men with no wives.

So people, I appreciate that you want to make this a global question and extend it into ancient history, but this started as a pretty simple question, albeit an admittedly ethnocentric one. Why in these modern times would a modern guy choose to get married?
By netochka
Where do you live? Where I am from you are automatically married by common-law if you live with a sexual partner, and are afforded the same rights and responsibilities, after a certain period of time, whether you signed up for it or not.
By Suska
this started as a pretty simple question
i see what you going for now Doc... The answer to your question "why should men get married?" is answered by answering the question "why should men have to negotiate for sex?" - so your idea is that we discontinue negotiations and just take what we want. why didn't I think of that!?
By netochka
If a man is interested in procreating, then marriage makes sense in that he can live with and partake in the caring and rearing of his offspring on a full-time basis, ensuring their well-being and survival, as opposed to having another man do it, which is all-too-often the case.

If he is not interested in procreating and only interested in serial monogamy, then my question to this man would be, why serial monogamy and why not serial paid services? From what I understand, girlfriends can can cost more than sexual service providers and will not always perform what an "SP" will (as the issue of money was brought up in the question). This is the reasoning I hear from many men who consume paid services as opposed to having a girlfriend.

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]