Feminism: What is it? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By millie_(A)TCK
I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.- Rebecca West

This is in response to being called a feminist here which is a tad amusing because though I align myself with much feminist thought like equal opportunity, I am only an activist with one cause that could be said to be feminist but isn't: Human Trafficking. Human Trafficking falls really under international organized crime rather than feminism so I have to ask, what do you guys understand feminism to mean?
By Oxymoron
I think it meant one thing at a certain stage, but has morphed into a Women Power movement rather then equality movement.
By Captain Sam
Personally, I see feminists as women that want all the good with none of the bad. To become the dominate gender rather than become equal.
When a man gets to get onto a life boat before a woman when a ship is sinking, when war is upon a nation and women are also drafted, then there will be real equality. You don't see modern feminists advocating this kind of crap though.

What really annoys me though is their dyke haircuts and wearing men's clothes. That's just so unattractive. No one wants to reproduce with a girl that looks like a guy named Steve.

I don't consider you a feminist though, but then again I haven't seen a lot of your posts regarding gender equality.
By psyche
Most civilized human beings believe that rule by force and slavery is wrong. Feminism is an ideology that intends to liberate women from their bondage and limited choice in public affairs. Most jobs outside the home 200 years ago did require brute strength but that is not so today. It has nothing to do with who should be wearing a skirt or a bra. It IS about having the choice to do either. In the past, I think those "issues" were symbolic of women's domestic slavery, but now I think it's more about fashion.
By Donna
If today we can even call the movement for women's suffrage a 'feminism' might be debatable. A great deal of men and women today are suspicious of modern feminism and it is seen as attempting to control sexuality. But aside from extremist deviations, feminism at its core is a reaction to the phenomena of misogyny - so as such - it can be said to be antithetical to oppressive and unethical behavior towards women, thus to dismiss feminism would be likened to rejection of the entirety of the American civil rights movement or any other social justice transformation. Personally, I identify more with the feminism of the developing world than our own industrial and obsessively anti-sexual and anti-male, post-liberation brand.
By Average Voter
Feminism isn't anything really. Women are individuals and disagree with each other on just about everything. They are not a single entity where if you know one you know them all.

So I suppose that feminism is any group which announces itself as representing the interests of women.

People say it is about equalizing women to the level of men, although equalization is a weasel word which means nothing. Some feminists are political, and hold that women are naturally lower then men, thus need a government to enforce handicaps which brings women to a level equal to men.
Some feminists want social reform instead; holding that women are naturally equal to men. They want to remove to government handicaps which create inequality, and call for social changes instead of political ones.

Really, anything can be feminism. Which is why is it pointless to ascribe a particular belief to it anymore. I am in the same boat of confusion as Rebecca West
By NoRapture
Men tend to take for granted that "mankind" is supposed to encompass the human race. So the concept of feminism pisses us off. It's MANkind, bitch. Not FEMkind. And clean these goddam fish!
By Bad policy
Feminism is...not good!

1. Feminism goes hand in hand with homosexuality, abortion.
2. Feminism is ruining families.
3. Feminism is more mind control, not only for women, but men too.

No?
By filerba
Women Power feminists are a myth to promote male paranoia and misogyny.

Liberal feminists want equality for women. They are deluded into thinking we are already there or are close in the West.

Radical feminists recognize there must first be liberation from the systematic oppression designed to keep the genders seggregated; maintain women as an economically subordinate class; and control them sexually and reproductively. Rape is the most powerful tool to keep women out of public and force them into domestic vassalage. On the internet, verbal harassment has to suffice:

Captain Sam wrote:What really annoys me though is their dyke haircuts and wearing men's clothes. That's just so unattractive. No one wants to reproduce with a girl that looks like a guy named Steve.

Excellent. You've just been told that women are for sex, and if you don't shut up about feminism you won't even be good for that.

NoRapture wrote:Men tend to take for granted that "mankind" is supposed to encompass the human race. So the concept of feminism pisses us off. It's MANkind, bitch. Not FEMkind. And clean these goddam fish!

Sometimes it just comes out as blind rage. Fish is a surprising choice, but commands to prepare food are common.

Bad policy wrote:Feminism goes hand in hand with homosexuality, abortion.

This is true. If you don't even control your own uterus, you are a slave. Homophobia helps keep the gender roles clearly defined so we know who needs a beating.
By Captain Sam
Excellent. You've just been told that women are for sex, and if you don't shut up about feminism you won't even be good for that.

The meaning of life is simply to survive and reproduce.
Would a girl want to get married and have children with a transvestite? Of course not.

It's all about basic sexual attraction. It's something you're just born with, not something you learn.
Guys like girls that are fairly feminine and Girls like guys that are fairly masculine.

This is just common sense.
By canadiancapitalist
Feminism is a revolt against nature - a rejection of the role that biology plays in shaping behaviour and a lot of nonsense in general. Feminists in general tend to be confusing, hostile and lesbians. Many of the claims put forth by feminists are perverted and silly.
By Order
The narrow-mindedness of the ignorant always makes for great entertainment. :)
By josephdphillips
There is truth to what CanadianCapitalist is saying. Feminists don't want equality. They want parity, which is impossible (and therefore silly to demand).
By Order
josephdphillips wrote:There is truth to what CanadianCapitalist is saying. Feminists don't want equality. They want parity, which is impossible (and therefore silly to demand).

There can't be any truth to what CanadianCapitalist is saying simply because there is no unified "feminism". Some feminists might want what you are talking about, most don't.
By Paradigm
Feminism is essentially a concern for the dignity of women in society, and generally involves a critique of patriarchal policies, attitudes, and beliefs. As with environmentalism, politics is one of many areas of concern for feminism. It also is concerned with sociological, economic, and psychological issues.
By millie_(A)TCK
The narrow-mindedness of the ignorant always makes for great entertainment.

Its really more sad, its amazing how successful the anti-feminist movement has been in spoiling feminism's image.

Feminism is essentially a concern for the dignity of women in society, and generally involves a critique of patriarchal policies, attitudes, and beliefs. As with environmentalism, politics is one of many areas of concern for feminism. It also is concerned with sociological, economic, and psychological issues.

hallelujah that at least someone got it perfectly right. Donald is a close second.
By Eauz
Feminism originated as a result of a social construct which simply constitutes a form of oppression and discrimination within patriarchal. Unfortunately, a number of women don't view it in such simple terms and thus we find two strands of reactionary feminism that result from this misunderstanding: bourgeois feminism & radical feminism.
By QatzelOk
Millie wrote:This is in response to being called a feminist here...

I have never thought of you as a "feminist."

I just think of you as pursuing your own self-interest by whatever means have been made available to you.

You are as pro-fashion (because it's something you actually participate in) and you are pro-female (because this might bring you more power). The Millie TCK ideology is based on self, and not on liberation of anything or anyone else.
By canadiancapitalist
There can't be any truth to what CanadianCapitalist is saying simply because there is no unified "feminism".

To be sure. In particular I am talking about the feminism that flourished in America during the early 1900's. I have known many people who self identified as feminists who didn't think any of those things.

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]