Which university offerst the best to study - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Holding
I'm guessing such a free-spirit wouldn't enjoy learning at any institution.
By Potemkin
The School of Hard Knocks, and The University of Life.
By HoniSoit
I'm guessing such a free-spirit wouldn't enjoy learning at any institution.

A library and a reading room is all you need.
By Potemkin

Indeed. It worked for Marx, didn't it? Well, after he got his doctorate, that is.
By HoniSoit
It worked for Marx, didn't it? Well, after he got his doctorate, that is.

But he would still have become the great man he was had he not got a doctorate.

Though it's always good to remember it's better to get some capital than write about it.
By canadiancapitalist
Where could a free spirit at best search for the truth?

Are you asking where you should best search for the truth or what university to go to? These are radically different questions. University is good if you want to become a bureaucrat and make a lot of money and sleep with girls. If you want to become educated and discover the truth, just open some books bro. You don't need to pay $10,000 a year to have some idiot tell you what books to read. You can figure that one out on your own, and if you need a little help, I'm here for you.
By JFaulkner

Not if you want to do some applied research, such as research involving scientific experiments or anthropological studies. If you just sit reading all day, you'd never get the required practical skills to test your theory. You'd build up a massive amount of theory filled with second-hand experiences, but become retarded at the application of this theory to see truth being actualised in reality.
By Dan
Depends on what your reason for going to university is?

If you only want "truth" then don't go to university. Get an internet connection, a subscription to JSTOR, membership in a internet forum related to the topic you want to learn, and a library card for a university library. You will easily be able to learn all the "truth" you want this way, without wasting money.

If you want to lean how to do laboratory tests for the hard sciences, you're going to need access to equipment, university is probably the easiest way to do this. But other then that, there is not reason to go to university other then to gain a degree to get a job. Going to university to learn is inefficient and a waste of resources. You'll learn a lot better independently.
By Potemkin
If you only want "truth" then don't go to university. Get an internet connection, a subscription to JSTOR, membership in a internet forum related to the topic you want to learn, and a library card for a university library. You will easily be able to learn all the "truth" you want this way, without wasting money.

If you want to lean how to do laboratory tests for the hard sciences, you're going to need access to equipment, university is probably the easiest way to do this. But other then that, there is not reason to go to university other then to gain a degree to get a job. Going to university to learn is inefficient and a waste of resources. You'll learn a lot better independently.

Quoted for truth. When I did my doctorate, my supervisor died in the middle of my second year, and the University didn't even bother to replace him. All I needed the University for was access to JSTOR and the University Library. I worked out for myself which books and articles I needed to read, and what direction my research should take. Of course, if I'd been doing one of the hard sciences, it would have been a different matter, but for an arts or humanities subject you should be able to do most of it yourself.
By Sephardi
University is good if you want to become a bureaucrat and make a lot of money and sleep with girls.

I choose this! :lol:

Screw you library.
By reddeath26
With youtube edu, you can even gain access to lectures without having to pay for them.
By Potemkin
Everything I needed to know about life, I learned from Youtube. 8)

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]