Population decline - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Dan
Don't worry, we'll think of something. I'm thinking robot nannies or artificial wombs and state supplied "mothers". That or we go the way of Mongolia over the next few centuries.

It might actually right itself on it's own.
By Igor Antunov
In western europe in particular, people are too busy enjoying life, to ruin it by rearing snotty nosed life crippling children. In places like russia fatalities are simply outweighing immigration and population growth, but this is temporary as the data shows.
By Thunderhawk
Does any one have the raw data for this graph?
(Yes, I could wiki, but 100 countries!)

Im tempted to make the same graph replacing wealth with PPP multiplied by (1 - gini_index)
Last edited by Thunderhawk on 06 Jun 2009 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
By R_G
It's called the feminist movement.

It's become popular for women to ignore their BIOLOGICAL destiny in carrying a human organism in their uterus for 9 months and giving birth to it through their vagina.
By Fasces
The hedonists of the West consider children to be a chore rather than a pleasure, and it is often seen as less glamorous to find a wife and raise a family than going to clubs and overdosing on cocaine. This whole individualist mindset of "ME ME ME" needs to die.

Sam, ask your friends whether they want children. Tell me how many say "never".
By Captain Sam
Thanks Russian_Guy, I didn't know how babby formed 'til now.

Well, I don't know about them, but some day I'd like to settle down and have children when I'm financially well off and independent.
By noemon
The feminist movement is the least of the problem. Pussy males are at the heart of the problem.
By Captain Sam
Ugh, since poFo is still buggy and my post won't show, I'll just repost it.

It's become popular for women to ignore their BIOLOGICAL destiny in carrying a human organism in their uterus for 9 months and giving birth to it through their vagina.

Thanks Russian_Guy, I didn't know how babby formed 'til now.

Well, I don't know about them, but some day I'd like to settle down and have children when I'm financially well off and independent.
By Mazhi
No data available for Somalia

RACIST
By Falx
I really love how the fascists are getting their panties in a twist over this one.

Let me put it simply: the world can sustain 1 billion people, we have 7 billion. Something has got to give. Luckily for the whole of humanity those who are destroying the planet quickest are also breeding the slowest, so much so that their numbers are actually falling. If this trend continues, and we should pray that it does, it means that a high enough level of civilisation can be sustain well into the next century when space colonisation on a mass scale will become possible. With the elimination of biological death some time around then it would mean that there is another huge population explosion, only this time with the near infinite resources needed to sustain it.
By Captain Sam
I really love how the fascists are getting their panties in a twist over this one.

Let me put it simply: the world can sustain 1 billion people, we have 7 billion. Something has got to give. Luckily for the whole of humanity those who are destroying the planet quickest are also breeding the slowest, so much so that their numbers are actually falling. If this trend continues, and we should pray that it does, it means that a high enough level of civilisation can be sustain well into the next century when space colonisation on a mass scale will become possible. With the elimination of biological death some time around then it would mean that there is another huge population explosion, only this time with the near infinite resources needed to sustain it.

The world's population growth is slowing down. It's slowing down nearly everywhere. Eventually there will be a global decline.

The world's population growth rate has been on a steady decline since the 50s. In a 150 years, the world will likely have a significantly smaller population than it does today.
By Falx
The world's population growth rate has been on a steady decline since the 50s.

Actually the 60's and every study I have seen dramatically underestimates the effects technological innovation will have on death rates and I would not be surprised in the least if we surpass the 2% growth seen then at some point in the future.
By Dr House
Falx wrote:Let me put it simply: the world can sustain 1 billion people, we have 7 billion.

You sure about that? The midwest alone has enough fertile land to feed 7 billion people. It currently produces so much that even with Americans collecively eating 3,000-plus calories a day and still scraping half their plate, subsidized farmers still dump excess grain in the shores of Africa.

Oh, and the people who are refusing to reproduce are the ones leading the charge in technological innovation. In the developed world there's pretty much an inverse relationship between socioeconomic status and birthrates, which is even more worrisome than the general decline in birthrates.
By Falx
I'm not sure where you picked that number from but most likely it is with use of oil based fertilizers, machinery etc. all the essential components of the Green Revolution. The last oil shock showed just how weak the whole system was with food riots in just about every developing country, there are alternatives but none of them are affordable enough to feed billions of people.
By Igor Antunov
Until we have a trillion+ individuals and the awesomeness to govern them collectively all at once we are nothing but an insignificant speck in the galaxy and nobody will miss us when were squashed like cockroaches by a simple falling rock from space.
By Dr House
I'm not sure where you picked that number from but most likely it is with use of oil based fertilizers, machinery etc. all the essential components of the Green Revolution. The last oil shock showed just how weak the whole system was with food riots in just about every developing country, there are alternatives but none of them are affordable enough to feed billions of people.

I'm pretty sure synthetic algae oil can take care of that problem.
By Falx
I'm pretty sure synthetic algae oil can take care of that problem.

And where would we get the hydrogen for the fertiliser that would be needed to grow that algae? Probably from natural gas which means that we're back to where we started in terms of carbon dioxide emissions, unless of course you believe that those have no impact on the climate.

And please stop this magic bullet catch phrases that you constantly jump between, problems in the real world aren't solved by them no matter how good they sound to the ignorant.
By Falx
Or.... water?

And plants can get the nitrogen from the air: 70% of it is nitrogen after all... lol!

So tell me, how badly did you fail high school chemistry?
By Dr House
Falx wrote:And where would we get the hydrogen for the fertiliser that would be needed to grow that algae? Probably from natural gas which means that we're back to where we started in terms of carbon dioxide emissions, unless of course you believe that those have no impact on the climate

I thought you were talking about the capacity of the earth to sustain its population, not AGW. A more carbon-rich atmosphere would actually increase crop yields.

Accusations of antisemitism have been weaponized. […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Is the solution to support more Oct 7ths? If your[…]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]