Language Preservation & Conceptualization Of Curses - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
This morning I went into the office and was the second one there. I playfully announced to the only other person, "Ee-Bba!" (Second place!)which I had heard school children shout out in sequence when completing a task like it was a race. The other worker present laughed a little but then told me that I shouldn't use such a phrase because it is a yok (curse word). Instead, of course, the more standard "Ee-deung" (second place, formal) should be used...

"So this really is a curse? One shouldn't say this at all? Are the kids I hear saying this disrespecting me by saying it in my presence?"

"No, that's not the case. You can even say such a thing in front of a teacher but it is... still, too informal. So it is like a curse."

"Why is that?"

"Of course, language naturally changes with time, and new words are constantly created, but speaking too lightly is bad. People will think you are a person that uses words nonchalantly without caring about the meaning...."

"Like a nallali?"

"Yes, exactly."

A nallali is basically a person who always acts in a light, non-serious way and is undependable. It also has the context of a person who has become ensnared in Western culture and is a general good-for-nothing who doesn't work. Apparently at one time it could be used to reference a pimp, it seems, after consulting one source.

I recollect some other times where words that just seemed to be low class (whether in English or in Korean) were dismissed as 'curse words' in the very broad sense when, of course, these were things that I had never conceived of being a 'swear,' but rather was just an informal word.

It seems that there is a mechanic left in some cultures (I imagine it exits in others) that naturally seeks to preserve the integrity of the language, and I have to admit, that I have felt this more than a few times.

I am interested in people's thoughts on language preservation & the concept of what curses are.
If I were to refer to a Saint as "A nutless wonder" Because they usually tend to be abstinent and because they tend to be philosophical people why would that be offensive? Partly subtext, partly because implying someone had their reproductive organs removed isn't something they might desire to be attributed to them even if they are abstinent. If that description take root and gained popularity its possible a would be saint might act on that description.

The F-word has rape implications in determining someone elses sexual fate. Children are the product and we all are programmed to die eventually, having someone else determine our sexual fate is as serious as life and death to us hence the phrase. Calling someone homosexual while maybe comes off as discrimination also implies they shouldn't breed, attacking their perceived genetic value, eugenics attempted in the real world. Calling someone a whore is similar for the lack of trust in whose children, STD's, unstable domestic life, unhealthy behavior. Basically most sexual insults involve telling someone to not breed.

Words describing things some people hate. My most summarized description of insults is they are the weapon forms of communication. A bitch is a female dog and I would assume most humans do not want to be treated like a female dog it just wouldn't mesh well, hence its an insult.

@ingliz We have different parts of genetics b[…]

Farage, btw, is a Putin puppet. What a laugh. Th[…]

If the Brits ever come to their senses, that will[…]

Not much, commercial real estate is boom or bust.[…]