Down So Long ...: The Puzzling Persistence of Gender Inequal - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
http://www.nyu.edu/classes/jackson/sex.and.gender/
Excerpts from Down So Long ...: The Puzzling Persistence of Gender Inequality (book manuscript by RMJ not yet published) will be available by download from the class web site.

Chapter 1. Why Is It So Hard to Explain Gender Inequality?
Chapter 2. Analyzing the Persistence of Gender Inequality: How to Think about the Origins
Chapter 3. Economic Inequality and the Division of Labor
Chapter 4. The Reproduction of Economic and Political Power
Chapter 5. Intimate Combat: The Responsbility for Child Rearing
Chapter 6. Intimate Combat: Sexuality and Gender Inequality
Chapter 7 Intimate Combat: Violence and Intimidation
Chapter 8. Disputed Ideals: Ideologies of Domesticity and Feminist Rebellion

Lacks some empirical support on some parts due to lack of research in relevant areas but attempts to take the strengths of different perspectives while criticizing their weak points to make a coherent whole.
The Question for Chapter one's title is Rhetorical, correct? Where is the difficulty other than social interpretation changing equal displacement to social rank and privilege depending upon the pointed views of those having intellectually having part in the conversation?

the whole concept is sophistry and semantics.
onemalehuman wrote:The Question for Chapter one's title is Rhetorical, correct? Where is the difficulty other than social interpretation changing equal displacement to social rank and privilege depending upon the pointed views of those having intellectually having part in the conversation?

the whole concept is sophistry and semantics.

I don't think I understand what you mean but I will attempt to provide a response and await any clarification.

The chapter doesn't attempt to explore why gender inequality is difficult to explain, thus not really answering it's title, as much as to point out the limitations of the many perspectives that are put forth as explaining gender inequality and using their flaws to inform their own attempt of an explanation.
This summarizes the focus/aim of the manuscript.
Our goal is to figure out why and how gender inequality has persisted in the modern world. In doing this we want to sidestep any temptations to rely on myths about sex differences. We need to consider how gender inequality' persistence in the modern world relates to its origins, its apparent universality, its variation across societies, and, most important, its revolutionary decline in modern societies. We need to explicitly take into account biological differences, to accommodate the complexity of relationships between women and men, and to distinguish the main causes of inequality's persistence from its components. To achieve these goals, we want to focus on the ways that gender inequality, as in instance of status inequality, must be embedded in systems of positional inequality to persist, and how this must be sustained across generations. We want to investigate gender inequality theoretically first as an instance of the more general status inequality, and take care to distinguish its peculiar characteristics from those it shares with other kinds of inequality.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]