Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy wrote:
By Tim Urban

Say hi to Lucy.

Lucy is part of Generation Y, the generation born between the late 1970s and the mid 1990s. She’s also part of a yuppie culture that makes up a large portion of Gen Y.

I have a term for yuppies in the Gen Y age group—I call them Gen Y Protagonists & Special Yuppies, or GYPSYs. A GYPSY is a unique brand of yuppie, one who thinks they are the main character of a very special story.

So Lucy’s enjoying her GYPSY life, and she’s very pleased to be Lucy. Only issue is this one thing:

Lucy’s kind of unhappy.

To get to the bottom of why, we need to define what makes someone happy or unhappy in the first place. It comes down to a simple formula:

It’s pretty straightforward—when the reality of someone’s life is better than they had expected, they’re happy. When reality turns out to be worse than the expectations, they’re unhappy.

To provide some context, let’s start by bringing Lucy’s parents into the discussion:

Lucy’s parents were born in the 50s—they’re Baby Boomers. They were raised by Lucy’s grandparents, members of the G.I. Generation, or “the Greatest Generation,” who grew up during the Great Depression and fought in World War II, and were most definitely not GYPSYs.

Lucy’s Depression Era grandparents were obsessed with economic security and raised her parents to build practical, secure careers. They wanted her parents’ careers to have greener grass than their own, and Lucy’s parents were brought up to envision a prosperous and stable career for themselves. Something like this:

They were taught that there was nothing stopping them from getting to that lush, green lawn of a career, but that they’d need to put in years of hard work to make it happen.

After graduating from being insufferable hippies, Lucy’s parents embarked on their careers. As the 70s, 80s, and 90s rolled along, the world entered a time of unprecedented economic prosperity. Lucy’s parents did even better than they expected to. This left them feeling gratified and optimistic.

With a smoother, more positive life experience than that of their own parents, Lucy’s parents raised Lucy with a sense of optimism and unbounded possibility. And they weren’t alone. Baby Boomers all around the country and world told their Gen Y kids that they could be whatever they wanted to be, instilling the special protagonist identity deep within their psyches.

This left GYPSYs feeling tremendously hopeful about their careers, to the point where their parents’ goals of a green lawn of secure prosperity didn’t really do it for them. A GYPSY-worthy lawn has flowers.

This leads to our first fact about GYPSYs:

GYPSYs Are Wildly Ambitious

The GYPSY needs a lot more from a career than a nice green lawn of prosperity and security. The fact is, a green lawn isn’t quite exceptional or unique enough for a GYPSY. Where the Baby Boomers wanted to live The American Dream, GYPSYs want to live Their Own Personal Dream.

Cal Newport points out that “follow your passion” is a catchphrase that has only gotten going in the last 20 years, according to Google’s Ngram viewer, a tool that shows how prominently a given phrase appears in English print over any period of time. The same Ngram viewer shows that the phrase “a secure career” has gone out of style, just as the phrase “a fulfilling career” has gotten hot.

To be clear, GYPSYs want economic prosperity just like their parents did—they just also want to be fulfilled by their career in a way their parents didn’t think about as much.

But something else is happening too. While the career goals of Gen Y as a whole have become much more particular and ambitious, Lucy has been given a second message throughout her childhood as well:

This would probably be a good time to bring in our second fact about GYPSYs:

GYPSYs Are Delusional
“Sure,” Lucy has been taught, “everyone will go and get themselves some fulfilling career, but I am unusually wonderful and as such, my career and life path will stand out amongst the crowd.” So on top of the generation as a whole having the bold goal of a flowery career lawn, each individual GYPSY thinks that he or she is destined for something even better—

A shiny unicorn on top of the flowery lawn.

So why is this delusional? Because this is what all GYPSYs think, which defies the definition of special:

spe-cial| ‘speSHel |
adjective
better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.

According to this definition, most people are not special—otherwise “special” wouldn’t mean anything.

Even right now, the GYPSYs reading this are thinking, “Good point…but I actually am one of the few special ones”—and this is the problem.

A second GYPSY delusion comes into play once the GYPSY enters the job market. While Lucy’s parents’ expectation was that many years of hard work would eventually lead to a great career, Lucy considers a great career an obvious given for someone as exceptional as she, and for her it’s just a matter of time and choosing which way to go. Her pre-workforce expectations look something like this:

Unfortunately, the funny thing about the world is that it turns out to not be that easy of a place, and the weird thing about careers is that they’re actually quite hard. Great careers take years of blood, sweat and tears to build—even the ones with no flowers or unicorns on them—and even the most successful people are rarely doing anything that great in their early or mid-20s.

But GYPSYs aren’t about to just accept that.

Paul Harvey, a University of New Hampshire professor and GYPSY expert, has researched this, finding that Gen Y has “unrealistic expectations and a strong resistance toward accepting negative feedback,” and “an inflated view of oneself.” He says that “a great source of frustration for people with a strong sense of entitlement is unmet expectations. They often feel entitled to a level of respect and rewards that aren’t in line with their actual ability and effort levels, and so they might not get the level of respect and rewards they are expecting.”

For those hiring members of Gen Y, Harvey suggests asking the interview question, “Do you feel you are generally superior to your coworkers/classmates/etc., and if so, why?” He says that “if the candidate answers yes to the first part but struggles with the ‘why,’ there may be an entitlement issue. This is because entitlement perceptions are often based on an unfounded sense of superiority and deservingness. They’ve been led to believe, perhaps through overzealous self-esteem building exercises in their youth, that they are somehow special but often lack any real justification for this belief.”

And since the real world has the nerve to consider merit a factor, a few years out of college Lucy finds herself here:

Lucy’s extreme ambition, coupled with the arrogance that comes along with being a bit deluded about one’s own self-worth, has left her with huge expectations for even the early years out of college. And her reality pales in comparison to those expectations, leaving her “reality – expectations” happy score coming out at a negative.

And it gets even worse. On top of all this, GYPSYs have an extra problem that applies to their whole generation:

GYPSYs Are Taunted
Sure, some people from Lucy’s parents’ high school or college classes ended up more successful than her parents did. And while they may have heard about some of it from time to time through the grapevine, for the most part they didn’t really know what was going on in too many other peoples’ careers.

Lucy, on the other hand, finds herself constantly taunted by a modern phenomenon: Facebook Image Crafting.

Social media creates a world for Lucy where A) what everyone else is doing is very out in the open, B) most people present an inflated version of their own existence, and C) the people who chime in the most about their careers are usually those whose careers (or relationships) are going the best, while struggling people tend not to broadcast their situation. This leaves Lucy feeling, incorrectly, like everyone else is doing really well, only adding to her misery:

So that’s why Lucy is unhappy, or at the least, feeling a bit frustrated and inadequate. In fact, she’s probably started off her career perfectly well, but to her, it feels very disappointing.

Here’s my advice for Lucy:

1) Stay wildly ambitious. The current world is bubbling with opportunity for an ambitious person to find flowery, fulfilling success. The specific direction may be unclear, but it’ll work itself out—just dive in somewhere.

2) Stop thinking that you’re special. The fact is, right now, you’re not special. You’re another completely inexperienced young person who doesn’t have all that much to offer yet. You can become special by working really hard for a long time.

3) Ignore everyone else. Other people’s grass seeming greener is no new concept, but in today’s image crafting world, other people’s grass looks like a glorious meadow. The truth is that everyone else is just as indecisive, self-doubting, and frustrated as you are, and if you just do your thing, you’ll never have any reason to envy others.
A person must always have high self-esteem, must always think of hem\her self as special. And must work hard to meet his self image.
If someone became to believe he\she is just anther person and isn't special or anything, he'll end up failing to achieve the high ranks of this world.
I fall roughly into that age demographic, but that hasn't been my experience.

I'm the only one of my friends to have gone to college, let alone grad school. And I'm a janitor half the time.

Most people my age that I know are bus drivers and nurses for aging boomers and the handicapped.

I'm probably a little close to be objective, and geography and class will play a roll; but Lucy seems to suffer from having rich parents that had no conception of reality more than being born at the wrong time.
I'm probably a little close to be objective, and geography and class will play a roll; but Lucy seems to suffer from having rich parents that had no conception of reality more than being born at the wrong time.

This. And the author of the quoted article seems to assume that everyone in AMERICA is born into the middle classes. There is absolutely no awareness of the class nature of AMERICAN society in that article, or the ways that it can shape the life experiences of people born into those classes.
By RhetoricThug
Holy shit, what a load of gibberish. This kind of 'sociological insight' resembles the crank advice one would receive from an astrologist or palm reader. Sociologists get away with this kind of psychological crap because the business community may use this garbage data to track trends and project socioeconomic conditions. Many university teachers become left wing conspirators or business consultants due to the fact that their occupation/government fail to fund their socialite lifestyle. They feel entitled because they are 'educated,' and by making these 'educated' petty pseudo-acedemic blanket observations, they may nab some extra cash on the side. Generation XYZ brought you by the ABCs :roll: Let me guess, you find TED talks to be an enlightening experience like reading one of the many self-help books which accumulate in the rubbish bin at Barnes & Noble. :lol:

Tim Urban presents: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator... Oh boy, how juicy, what will he cover next?

Lucy, according to the position of the stars, I give you this advice
1) Stay wildly ambitious. The current world is bubbling with opportunity for an ambitious person to find flowery, fulfilling success. The specific direction may be unclear, but it’ll work itself out—just dive in somewhere.

Yes Lucy, and now I'm reading the lines in your misunderstood hand...

2) Stop thinking that you’re special. The fact is, right now, you’re not special. You’re another completely inexperienced young person who doesn’t have all that much to offer yet. You can become special by working really hard for a long time.

Lucy, heed my forecast...

3) Ignore everyone else. Other people’s grass seeming greener is no new concept, but in today’s image crafting world, other people’s grass looks like a glorious meadow. The truth is that everyone else is just as indecisive, self-doubting, and frustrated as you are, and if you just do your thing, you’ll never have any reason to envy others.

A person must always have high self-esteem, must always think of hem\her self as special. And must work hard to meet his self image.
If someone became to believe he\she is just anther person and isn't special or anything, he'll end up failing to achieve the high ranks of this world.
Wow, you should get a job at the fortune cookie factory.

I fall roughly into that age demographic, but that hasn't been my experience.

You don't say...

Millenial should be limited to a range from mid-late 80s to early 2000s

Done!

Yeah, Carter babies are just thrown in wherever people feel like putting them, for the most part.
Well, to be honest, we usually consult our crystal balls first, before categorizing such important labels.
This article reduces down to a claim that life expectations grew between the 50's and 90's.

This is (very broadly) true and not especially interesting. What might be slightly more interesting is if newer generations have their expectations lowered through the dour media narrative in recent years.
@RhetoricThug
Wow, you should get a job at the fortune cookie factory.

Have you ever heard any successful person who give an advice of just be normal ?
By successful i don't mean super rich stuff, no i mean anyone with good, successful, stable life and career.

1 advice both my parents and all the people around me kept giving me for the entirety of my growing up phase.
Believe you can make it, work hard for it, and you'll get there.
The impossible is just in your mind, and everything is possible as long as you work for it.
If you believe you're just anther normal guy who have limits on his\her capabilities and potentials, you'll never go big and you'll never make it.
The first obstacle in success is psychology. Keep that in mind.
Have you ever heard any successful person who give an advice of just be normal ?
By successful i don't mean super rich stuff, no i mean anyone with good, successful, stable life and career.
anasawad wrote:@RhetoricThug

1 advice both my parents and all the people around me kept giving me for the entirety of my growing up phase.
Believe you can make it, work hard for it, and you'll get there.
The impossible is just in your mind, and everything is possible as long as you work for it.
If you believe you're just anther normal guy who have limits on his\her capabilities and potentials, you'll never go big and you'll never make it.
Right, I agree, the holding cells, er, college dorm rooms in America should come with nondetachable motivational posters (like the mounted paintings in hotel rooms). Perhaps you should keep a few good therapists on speed dial (voice activated, of course) in case you trip over your roommate and break your self-esteem. Delicate gender-neutral pro-nouns need positive reinforcement just so they may actively participate in the world today. We need to be more sensitive and inclusive, prolonged public 'frowning' should be penalized under civil law. We gotta defeat inflammatory negativity with positive positivism. Keep your chin up, kiddo.
The first obstacle in success is psychology. Keep that in mind.

Last edited by RhetoricThug on 19 Sep 2016 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
@RhetoricThug
Never compare yourself to others in actions, not in psychology.

Your point of view, with respect, is the view of people who never achieve their full potentials in life.
Trying to sell it as motivational posters and therapists and all that bullshit some think is they key is just a commoner excuse to failure.

If someone, like yourself right now, convince themselves they cant do much in their lives, they'll remain where they are with no progress.
quoting both a verse in the quran and an old poet and wise man in the Arab world.
The verse says in translation: God does not change that of people unless they change whats within themselves.

And the poem in meaning i remember : If people wished and sought change, change it would be even if the gods wished otherwise.
Dude, like I just watched this film, The Secret, and it like, changed my LIFE!!!

The Secret is a best-selling 2006 self-help book written by Rhonda Byrne, based on the earlier film of the same name. It is based on the law of attraction and claims that positive thinking can create life-changing results such as increased happiness, health, and wealth.

You guys should check it out, it will change your entire world, like I swearz guyzzzz
Never compare yourself to others in actions, not in psychology.

Your point of view, with respect, is the view of people who never achieve their full potentials in life.
Trying to sell it as motivational posters and therapists and all that bullshit some think is they key is just a commoner excuse to failure.

If someone, like yourself right now, convince themselves they cant do much in their lives, they'll remain where they are with no progress.
quoting both a verse in the quran and an old poet and wise man in the Arab world.
The verse says in translation: God does not change that of people unless they change whats within themselves.

And the poem in meaning i remember : If people wished and sought change, change it would be even if the gods wished otherwise.

:roll: Thanks for the cliche advice, I'll write it down in my bedside journal tonight.
Just to let you know, I'm in the business of theoretical systemic cognition, I know how to program the 'morphic field' through this 'holographic schematic.'
Last edited by RhetoricThug on 19 Sep 2016 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
@RhetoricThug
This is not about advice. This is about the topic.
Its criticism inclining people shouldn't believe of themselves as special, nor have the above the usual self-esteem or expectations.
Which is stupidity in itself because you don't succeed and achieve greatness by thinking of yourself as ordinary.

Just to let you know, I'm in the business of theoretical systemic cognition, I know how to program the 'morphic field' through this 'holographic schematic.'

And ?
does, you knowing about your own domain of studies, proof anything about the topic ?
Or does it in anyway show that the path to success isn't through confidence, dreams and hardwork in its path ?

The only answer to this part is, congrats for reaching this far. That however does not relate to the discussion.

EDIT:
BTW, don't think i stand corrected on this part

No. Because this type of excuses is what people who could not nor did pursue their full potentials in life to begin with use.
The first key in the path for success, and by success i don't mean wealth rather as stated above, is motivation, and psychology in general.
Thats the first step in all aspects of life, the entire bussiness world knows this and act on it.
Its even tought in universities. And in every lecture of trading, and every bussiness lecture you could take.
You mocking it doesn't mean it wrong.
This is not about advice. This is about the topic.
Its criticism inclining people shouldn't believe of themselves as special, nor have the above the usual self-esteem or expectations.
Which is stupidity in itself because you don't succeed and achieve greatness by thinking of yourself as ordinary.

And ?
does, you knowing about your own domain of studies, proof anything about the topic ?
Or does it in anyway show that the path to success isn't through confidence, dreams and hardwork in its path ?
First off, I'm a polymath, I try not to limit my degree of awareness. Also, I tend to avoid fixed perspectives, and obviously I'm sarcastically mocking this thread's content. Alas, Like Tim Derpin, I just made up my own area of study (but it is real, because I invented it, I'm an intellectual pioneer!). My gawd, dense crowd... :p You're making a big deal out of common sense knowledge, any experienced adult with one fully developed mind may grasp the elementary concepts you present. That is why this thread is a joke, and I had to be 'in' on it.

Yet... now I look like an asshole and the joke is over. So I guess you 'win?' :?: :lol:
Last edited by RhetoricThug on 19 Sep 2016 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
@RhetoricThug
So you don't agree with the content of the article ?
Because the topic is literally about not to be too much motivated. True motivation needs also long hard work with it but the article is basically saying less motivation.
Atleast the parts i bothered reading from the article. :lol:
I agree with a lot in this article and may have made some of those mistakes myself, but they've left out how gen Y (I thought I was a millennial?) lived through the internet bubble and then the great recession. So we've seen a lot of highs and lows. 40% youth unemployment in much of Europe doesn't help either.
I only skimmed the article, but it seems like it's suggesting that millennials have it better than their parents, which is about as shockingly naive an assessment of this generation as I could imagine. Sure, we've got smartphones and social media, but we don't have anything resembling the economic prosperity that Boomers enjoyed. Not only is this article mistaken in assuming that millennials are not all middle class, but it misses the part that even those that were born middle class are downwardly mobile, with a much more precarious position in this society than their parents had.
Everyone IS special. That's true. That everyone else is going to think that you are special, however, is not true. That's why you have to strive to make everyone see how special you are. You just don't get recognition for it because it's true, but because you do something to bring awareness, and perception, to your "specialness".

We are all special snowflakes, but when you get a whole bunch together, you just get a blizzard.
which is about as shockingly naive an assessment of this generation as I could imagine. Sure, we've got smartphones and social media, but we don't have anything resembling the economic prosperity that Boomers enjoyed. Not only is this article mistaken in assuming that millennials are not all middle class

I get confused with the terms but I dont think they are talking about 'millennials' and neither about how well off they are.

The article refers to the 'generation' after the baby boomers. Like born 1960-1990 (not after). Its talking about expectations over actual life conditions too. All it is saying is that expectations rose after the baby boomer genration which is a statement of the obvious. The fact that happy ness is roughly equated to experience/expectation is also well known.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]