Marriage in Turkey - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By noemon
Turkey is often considered as a bastion of Islamism, an Islamic country and during Erdogan's leadership the country has reportedly rediscovered her Islamic heritage. Looking at some aspects of Turkish society, like women's rights for example, I discovered that Turkey granted women the right to vote in 1934 much earlier than several European democratic countries like France 1944, Liechtenstein 1984, Monaco 1962 & Switzerland 1971.

Another aspect of Turkish society is that only civil marriages are legal in Turkey and that religious marriages not even Islamic ones are recognised as legally binding. This goes to a secular level beyond most if not all western countries.
By ness31
What an interesting fact, thanks for sharing. It really is the best stance to have on marriage. If Turkey were ever by some miracle to allow gay marriage it would be perfect!
By layman
To be fair I think we knew turkey used to very progressive. Almost militantly so.

What is clear is that erdogan is seeking to undo such standards. He certainly wouldn't approve of lax marriage laws. I am sure he will be looking to change the civil marriage system you refer to asap.
By noemon
Are you sure that this is not just an idea you have based on media propaganda instead of anything tangible? Erdogan has been running Turkey for almost the course of 2 decades, he has never expressed a wish to undo the secular system of marriage in Turkey as far as I'm aware of.

@Pants-of-dog If you put it to a vote, you'd fin[…]

Are you hoping I want aids? No, I want you to b[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]