Multi-culturalism - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Pants-of-dog
Please stop quoting my posts. You either do not understand what I said, or you are being willfully obtuse.

There are clear benefits for people living in multicultural societies to learn additional languages.
By One Degree
Pants-of-dog wrote:Please stop quoting my posts. You either do not understand what I said, or you are being willfully obtuse.

There are clear benefits for people living in multicultural societies to learn additional languages.

Okay, you win. Help me out though by prioritizing which of the over 7,000 languages it is politically correct to require me to learn first.
Last edited by One Degree on 10 Apr 2018 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
By Pants-of-dog
One Degree wrote:Okay, you win. Help me out though by prioritizing which of the over 7,000 languages it is politically correct to require me to learn first.

Where exactly do you live?
By One Degree
Pants-of-dog wrote:Where exactly do you live?

Are you threatening me? Just kidding.
I live right next to the Indianapolis city line. My city is listed as 91% white, but only 89% speak English. 8% are foreign born. This is basically meaningless since we are so interrelated with Indianapolis.
We have a large number of very small communities from a huge variety of cultures.
By Pants-of-dog
One Degree wrote:Are you threatening me? Just kidding.
I live right next to the Indianapolis city line. My city is listed as 91% white, but only 89% speak English. 8% are foreign born. This is basically meaningless since we are so interrelated with Indianapolis.
We have a large number of very small communities from a huge variety of cultures.

I would suggest learning Spanish and Miami.
By One Degree
Pants-of-dog wrote:I would suggest learning Spanish and Miami.

I am totally incompetent at learning new languages. My surface memory seems to only hold concepts. Individually memorized items get buried deep. My two daughter in laws, that do not have English as a first language, live too far away to give me a daily opportunity to gradually acquire it.
The most common minority I encounter is probably Sikh. Or perhaps, they are just more obvious.
By One Degree
Pants-of-dog wrote:I did not ask you about your personal life.

You should also learn Punjabi if you are in contact with Sikhs.

‘Should’ learn? Why should I live my life based upon your rules? My view was it was more logical for everyone to learn English, than me to learn all the other languages in my area. Now, if I ‘want’ to learn another language, that has nothing to do with you or our discussion.
One Degree wrote:‘Should’ learn? Why should I live my life based upon your rules? My view was it was more logical for everyone to learn English, than me to learn all the other languages in my area. Now, if I ‘want’ to learn another language, that has nothing to do with you or our discussion.

It is a fact that ethnic diversity will increase in the developed world for the foreseeable future.

This means that it will be more and more necessary for us to learn to live with people of different cultures around us.

The best way to learn about another culture is to learn the language. It also has benefits in terms of being able to clearly communicate with people from these other cultures, even if they also speak English.

So, if you want to have the best life possible in tomorrow’s ethnically diverse communities, you should learn English, Spanish, and Punjabi.

Also, many people argue that immigrants should learn the local language. If you agree with this proposition, you should also learn Miami.

Or you could ignore the fact that there are more people of different cultures around you, and simply force them all to learn your language, but I cannot see a reason why someone should do that.

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia could[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]