The cult of science - Page 11 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Sivad
Rancid wrote:Sounds like that dude's models needs some serous validation, and it's odd to see governments making decisions on unvalidated models. :eek: He had 13+ years to do that shit, and apparently didn't. :hmm: This is a real problem with science and experts, for sure.

It's not just him, it's insane that the code hasn't been independently vetted but what's even more insane is what governments did based on "thousands of lines of undocumented C written 13+ years ago to model flu pandemics" without even bothering to have it reviewed. :lol:

At least in his follow on tweets he say's he's working with people to have it refactored and posted on to github so others can use it. It's probbly too late with respect to this virus.

exactly. the bullet has left the gun.
By Sivad
it's also hilarious that the unvetted model is using data from the Chicom gulagist regime that has already been caught in multiple corona related frauds and has even disappeared a few corona whistleblowers. :lol:
By Rancid
Sivad wrote:it's also hilarious that the unvetted model is using data from the Chicom gulagist regime that has already been caught in multiple corona related frauds and has even disappeared a few corona whistleblowers. :lol:

That is true. As they say,

garbage data in, you get garbage data out.
By Rancid
I was thinking a bit more. It's this kind of sloppy science that basically creates anti-vaxers, and flat earthers, etc. etc. If scientist/researchers/etc. follow the scientific methods properly and with more rigor, I think you wouldn't have all the pseudoscience stuff that they deem a threat to civil society.
By late
Varannal wrote:
1) I am writing essay about cult of science.

2) One of the questions that I study is science and their future.

3) In addition to scientific data, it would be useful for me to gather the opinions of car enthusiasts and

4) professionals in this field.

1) When writing, be specific when you can. Exactly what is this about.

2) What I typically suggest is starting with the history of science. Learning how things got rolling helps a lot. Make sure you don't miss Kepler.

3) I come from a generation that was car crazy. I'm not an enthusiast by the standards of my generation.

4) I'm tired and retired. When I was in school, I had an interest in the history and philosophy of science. That's it.
By Sivad
Rancid wrote: It's this kind of sloppy science that basically creates anti-vaxers

It's non-existent science that basically creates "anti-vaxxers". The watchdog group ICAN requested all the science on all the vaccines given to babies during their first year of life, the CDC couldn't produce a single study on even one of the vaccines.
We need science more than anything. It's too bad some scientists are ideological bitches who cherry-pick all sorts of evidence to prove some point they're trying to make.
By Donna
Unthinking Majority wrote:It's too bad some scientists are ideological bitches who cherry-pick all sorts of evidence to prove some point they're trying to make.

Such as?
By Sivad
Unthinking Majority wrote: It's too bad some scientists are ideological bitches who cherry-pick all sorts of evidence to prove some point they're trying to make.

It's too bad science is just as captured and corrupt as every other institution in this society. And why wouldn't it be? If electoral politics and the legislative bodies, journalism and the media, intelligence agencies, and federal law enforcement, government regulatory agencies, and the judiciary can all be captured and corrupted then why would anyone think science is immune from capture? It's not, it has all the same vulnerabilities as all those other institutions and it's just as compromised as the rest of them.
By Sivad
Leaked meeting between editors-in-chief of Lancet & NEJM show pressures from big pharma...described as "criminal."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYgiCALEdpE

May 24, 2020: Philippe Douste-Blazy, Cardiology MD, Former France Health Minister and 2017 candidate for Director at WHO, former Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations, reveals that in a recent 2020 Chattam House closed door meeting, both the editors of the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine stated their concerns about the criminal pressures of BigPharma on their publications. Things are so bad that it is not science any longer.
Election 2020

Here's a column that Trump's enemies should pay at[…]

It is entertaining to think that he is just like […]

And as Judge Sullivan doubles down, asking the ful[…]

The 8values Quiz

@Heisenberg I have to disagree with both of your[…]