North Korea as Parallel Universe - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
When one looks at North Korean clips, that is to say the video clips from North Korean television you can find on the internet, they look completely different to any media shown in the rest of the world. It looks unique and as though it is truly from another era, or even moreso a different world. Different music, different motifs and images, it's all different. The architectual style is especially unique, you will not find buildings like they have in North Korea in other parts of the world. North Korea seems to be different to even other communist countries of both contemporary times and previous decades.

Why is North Korea so different to other countries?

In what other country would this be shown on television, for example:

This is what you get having two generations of otakus / NEET losers running the country.
Political Interest wrote:Why is North Korea so different to other countries?

Because it's so isolated, it does not receive influence as much from the rest of the world.

North Korea has established a foothold on YouTube. NEW DPRK has 14.4K subscribers, which dispels the notion that it's a poor, destitute country run by a dictator.

The architectual style is especially unique, you will not find buildings like they have in North Korea in other parts of the world. North Korea seems to be different to even other communist countries of both contemporary times and previous decades.

It is reminiscent of Japanese colonial architecture in Manchuria. Manchukuo was almost completely destroyed by the invading Red Army but North Korea maintained its colonial heritage. In 1932, Changchun became the new capital of Manchukuo, Japan's puppet state in northeastern China. Great transport links to their Korean colony and its central location made it the perfect place to build a grand city with leafy boulevards, large roundabouts, and imposing buildings.

Last edited by ThirdTerm on 04 Sep 2020 21:31, edited 2 times in total.
Patrickov wrote:This is what you get having two generations of otakus / NEET losers running the country.

That there are human rights violations and killings in North Korea is apalling and unforgivable.

However, their buildings are very nice. Very nice buildings, beautiful wide streets and without the oppression of being closed in by high sky scrapers.

No ugly red brick everywhere in narrow streets.

Why can't we have this in Western countries?

There can be no doubt that the physical environment and aesthetics of where a person lives will influence their state of mind. It could be argued that crime is so high in certain Western cities is partly because the environment is often ugly and demoralising. Frankly speaking, the buildings in a lot of Western countries are very ugly. Even mental well being issues such as depression are no doubt contributed to by ugly surroundings.

A lot of Western cities are very poorly lit as well. It creates a very dark feel.

Look at these streets:

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 064860.jpg

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... brough.JPG

It will cause depression. A lot of these old late 19th and early 20th century utilitarian buildings need to be knocked down and replaced by beautiful and uplifting structures.

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 064860.jpg

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3780623/n ... -pictures/

Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... s-2014.jpg

We could have this type of architecture in the West without having to become a one party dictatorship and I am against communism. It's purely an issue of taste, planning and funding. I would be prepared to pay more tax to fund public works to beautify our cities.
ThirdTerm wrote:North Korea has established a foothold on YouTube. NEW DPRK has 14.4K subscribers, which dispels the notion that it's a poor, destitute country run by a dictator.

Wonderful! :)

Political Interest wrote:A lot of Western cities are very poorly lit as well. It creates a very dark feel.

Too much light is bad for your health anyway. Further, Asian mega cities are arguably even worse with respect to their design and it's effects on the inhabitants.

Last, I don't see how those NK builders are any nicer/better than any other buildings. Different yes, better? meh, just different to me.
Rancid wrote:Too much light is bad for your health anyway. Further, Asian mega cities are arguably even worse with respect to their design and it's effects on the inhabitants.

How so?

Asian cities generally feel quite vibrant. You do not feel scared to walk at night.
Political Interest wrote:
How so?

Asian cities generally feel quite vibrant. You do not feel scared to walk at night.

Lights fuck with your circadian rhythm. This is well documented and researched. I thought this was common knowledge? :?:

In America, neighborhoods that are dimly lit are always the nicer/richer neighborhoods. I live in a nice/safe area, and it's dim here, very few street lights. However, in the ghettos, they are always very well lit actually. The neighborhood I grew up in was super bright with lights.

In fact, I always tell people, you can tell if it's a nice neighborhood by the number of street lights. If there are few, it's a good neighborhood, if there are many, it's a worse neighborhood.

As for the vibrancy of Asian cities, at least in the main tourist/shopping/business districts, yea it's kind of cool at first, but now it just annoys me to showered in so much light. As I said, it's bad for your health anyway.
I must say, the Western streets posted look fine to me. Perhaps it's just because I grew up in a large city, but I quite like the feel of that kind of urban landscape. Here are some images of Parramatta Road, which I have travelled on for much of my life.

Political Interest wrote:Asian cities generally feel quite vibrant. You do not feel scared to walk at night.

Western cities can also be pretty vibrant. I had experience walking around London, Brighton, Bath, Shanklin and Munich at night. Neither of them feel scary.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Define died first? Are missing in action for mo[…]

@FiveofSwords What is race? How to define it[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]