Limit children to flip phones? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Given the social ills attributed to the use of smart phones by minors, such as bullying, encouragement of eating disorders, and dangerous challenges, should parents only allow their children to use flip phones, aka “dumb phones,” which provide no access to the internet and social media?

The ban could be enforced on different levels, such as individual choices by parents, or a rule by school districts that would prohibit student possession of smart phones on campuses from elementary through high school.

Conceivably, a market might open for an even “dumber” phone for minors, one lacking either a camera (no nude selfies) or text messaging.

Robert Urbanek wrote:Given the social ills attributed to the use of smart phones by minors, such as bullying, encouragement of eating disorders, and dangerous challenges, should parents only allow their children to use flip phones, aka “dumb phones,” which provide no access to the internet and social media?

One problem is that phones that are "dumb" yet which still have a keypad for easy typing of messages are very rare and hard to find now, impossible to find in stores.

I would love to buy the type of phone you are describing, so long as I could still get this one feature.

Robert Urbanek wrote:Conceivably, a market might open for an even “dumber” phone for minors, one lacking either a camera (no nude selfies)

But how will we live in a Nineteen Eighty-Four Brave New World without cameras on both sides of our phones for someone to constantly be able to watch us?

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Having[…]

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]