Protestantism IS Atheism - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
To Bosoeker:

No, There were two different time periods referred to in those scriptures. One is the six day creation period and the other period was the year long flood of Noah's day and after.

You should not assume that God needs rest even if He does for that was not the point made by the text. The day of rest refers to the day after creation in which God was at rest from the non-stop six day and night of constant creation. It simply means that God finished His creation work that he started six days before.

The command for man to rest after six days of work and to rest on the seventh was so man would remember the creation week and honor God on the seventh day as a Sabbath to the Creator and Lord. Jesus and his disciple were often accused of breaking the Sabbath because they picked fruit to eat or Jesus healed someone on the Sabbath.

In his defense Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working."
(John 5:17 NIV)

Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."
(Mark 2:27-28 NIV)

The idea behind the statement that God created evil actually means that it is God that determines and defines what is good and what is evil. In the language of the time they say God creates good and evil or is the author of good and evil, because ultimately God is the Judge and determines what is good and what is evil.
Hindsite wrote:To Bosoeker:
You should not assume that God needs rest even if He does for that was not the point made by the text.

He rested. Pretty much all versions say that.
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Hindsite wrote:In his defense Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working."

Can't be always if he takes a day off.

Hindsite wrote:The idea behind the statement that God created evil actually means that it is God that determines and defines what is good and what is evil.

So that becomes interpretation of what is meant by the text rather than accepting what it states as fact.
Slippery slope there..........
The English text that we read is a translation from an ancient language. So the actual word can have more than one meaning just as English words do, and to translate foreign languages literally word for word does not always produce the meaning of the other language. Any person that knows multiple languages can tell you that.

But you can believe what you want. If you believe God needed rest and sleep like we do, then that is fine with me. However, that view would seem to contradict Psalm 121 that reads as follows:

I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Shall neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper;
The Lord is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul.
The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in
From this time forth, and even forevermore.
Hindsite wrote:The English text that we read is a translation from an ancient language. So the actual word can have more than one meaning just as English words do, and to translate foreign languages literally word for word does not always produce the meaning of the other language. Any person that knows multiple languages can tell you that.

But, unless you have access to the original texts and the skills to read and understand them, you are in a position of interpreting what you think god meant rather than what is written in your holy bible. It's your take on it.

Hindsite wrote:But you can believe what you want. If you believe God needed rest and sleep like we do, then that is fine with me.

I'm an atheist. I don't believe any of it so whether god did or didn't rest has no meaning for me. I was commenting on what Gen 2:2 says and it clearly says god rested on the seventh day.

Hindsite wrote:However, that view would seem to contradict Psalm 121 that reads as follows:.........

In that case you could equally make the point that Psalm 121 contradicts Gen 2:2.
To Bosoeker:

Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions II

[youtube]J-t4ImVhn8E[/youtube]

Besides Psalm 121 that indicates that God neither sleeps or slumbers, there is also Isaiah 40:28 that states...

Have you not known?
Have you not heard?
The everlasting God, the Lord,
The Creator of the ends of the earth,
Neither faints nor is weary.

So look at this way, suppose the workers in a business takes a 10 minute break from work every hour as has been allowed on some jobs in the past due to some workers being addicted to cigarettes. That does not mean that the workers that do not smoke are too weary to continue work when they take advantage of the same time to stop their work.

The fact is that we have more than one reference that God does not sleep, slumber, faint, or becomes weary. I believe that is enough for any person with normal common sense to come to the conclusion that God rested from His work because He was finished and decided to sit back and admire the work that He had declared as being good, as one possible reason, but the need to rest because He was tired has been ruled out as a possible reason.
Hindsite wrote: I believe that is enough for any person with normal common sense to come to the conclusion that God rested from His work because He was finished and decided to sit back and admire the work that He had declared as being good, as one possible reason, but the need to rest because He was tired has been ruled out as a possible reason.

In my opinion, normal common sense would preclude creation of the entire universe in six days is beyond credibility. A 450 foot wooden boat as improbable at best and more likely impossible, getting all the animals on board plus oll the food required and cleaning up after them defies belief. And 40 days and nights to flood the whole world?
In the words of John Patrick McEnroe.............you get the drift..........

My dog is god backwards.......

There is a slightly serious point for introducing my dog.

I'm not for a moment suggesting any divine connection. I doubt that he even thinks about anything beyond the material world. He is a good boy. Quite a big chap at over 70 pounds. Lean and muscular.
But gentle with everyone. Especially so with children.

No god required.
Besoeker wrote:In my opinion, normal common sense would preclude creation of the entire universe in six days is beyond credibility. A 450 foot wooden boat as improbable at best and more likely impossible, getting all the animals on board plus oll the food required and cleaning up after them defies belief. And 40 days and nights to flood the whole world?
In the words of John Patrick McEnroe.............you get the drift..........

My dog is god backwards.......

There is a slightly serious point for introducing my dog.

I'm not for a moment suggesting any divine connection. I doubt that he even thinks about anything beyond the material world. He is a good boy. Quite a big chap at over 70 pounds. Lean and muscular.
But gentle with everyone. Especially so with children.

No god required.

Yes, I understand you are an atheist by choice. But you are wrong to believe that there is no connection between God and the animals. God created the original animals that your dog came from. Stop worshipping the the creature over the Creator. Both you and your dog required God for your very existence. Neither you are your beloved dog would have been born, if it were not for God.
Hindsite wrote:Yes, I understand you are an atheist by choice. But you are wrong to believe that there is no connection between God and the animals. God created the original animals that your dog came from. Stop worshipping the the creature over the Creator. Both you and your dog required God for your very existence. Neither you are your beloved dog would have been born, if it were not for God.

You are stating opinion as fact. You can no more prove that it is a fact than you can disprove the existence of the FSM.
Besoeker wrote:You are stating opinion as fact. You can no more prove that it is a fact than you can disprove the existence of the FSM.

So what? You have been stating opinion as fact. Do you think you are better than me?
I do not have to disprove the existence of the FSM. Who actually believes in the FSM anyway?
Besoeker wrote:You are stating opinion as fact. You can no more prove that it is a fact than you can disprove the existence of the FSM.

Hindsite wrote:I do not have to disprove the existence of the FSM. Who actually believes in the FSM anyway?

Almost certainly nobody does. That's the point.
Besoeker wrote:Almost certainly nobody does. That's the point.

Okay, but many if not most people do believe in God. And many scientists have been convinced by the scientific evidence that there is a God. That is my point.
Besoeker wrote:Almost certainly nobody does. That's the point.

Hindsite wrote:Okay, but many if not most people do believe in God. And many scientists have been convinced by the scientific evidence that there is a God. That is my point.

Doesn't matter how many or how few believe it.
Besoeker wrote:Doesn't matter how many or how few believe it.

I believe it matters to the Lord.

Scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming?" ...

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

(2 Peter 3-4, 9)

You have no part or portion in this matter, for your heart is not right before God. Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray the Lord that, if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you. For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bondage of iniquity.
(Acts 8:21-23)

Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work. Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
(2 Timothy 2:21-22)
Besoeker wrote:Then he could fix it. If he exists and is omnipotent.

The Holy Bible indicates He is going to fix it, in His own time period.
If you choose not to believe, then you shall be cast into outer darkness.
God sounds like a real whiney bitch.
Worship me or I'll kill you. A right proper cunt!

Well, YOUR interpretation of God, anyways, Hindsite.

The whole forgiveness thing is just smoke and mirrors. It's not true forgiveness. True forgiveness does not require an apology, or admitting wrong-doing.
Godstud wrote:God sounds like a real whiney bitch.
Worship me or I'll kill you. A right proper cunt!

Well, YOUR interpretation of God, anyways, Hindsite.

The whole forgiveness thing is just smoke and mirrors. It's not true forgiveness. True forgiveness does not require an apology, or admitting wrong-doing.

It makes no sense to me to forgive someone that will not admit wrong doing and repent. They are sure to just continue their evil ways. The only way to stop their evil is to cast them into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone with the Devil and his demon angels.
AuRomin wrote:Sounds like someone had a bad childhood. :knife: Punishment is one thing, but wishing eternal torture one someone...

I am not wishing any torture on anyone and neither does the Holy Bible. There is a difference between torture and torment. The Holy Bible indicates torment. It does not say torture. So it is dishonest to use the word torture in place of torment.

Liberia is not indistinguishable from other Afric[…]

Taiwan-China crisis.

I don't put all the blame on Taiwan. I've said 10[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities a[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Afghanistan defeated the USSR, we are not talking[…]