Christians, how do you feel about modern Christmas? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
Christians, how do you feel about modern Christmas? Do you believe it's been commercialized and lost the true meaning? Should non-Christians celebrate it? What are your opinions of the holiday commercialization of our Savior's birth?

Personally, I believe that non-Christians should not celebrate Christmas, and go about doing their normal business. It must be a sacred, personal function to be shared by other Christians. Non-believers celebrating Christmas is nothing short of mockery and blasphemy.
By Okonkwo
Oblisk wrote:It must be a sacred, personal function to be shared by other Christians.

Are you Christian, Oblisk? I always thought you were a Marxist.

Personally, I believe that everyone should have the right to celebrate Christmas, it has become much more than what it usually meant and, hey it wasn't even Christian at first, it was a pagan ceremony. So it wouldn't exactly be very logical for any Christian to claim Christmas just for himself.
(Coming from the perspective of an atheist of Muslim background, mind you)
By Lucky Strike
Like most of Christendom, Christmas is an artifact of paganism wrapped up in man-made dogma. It didn't come from God or Jesus, so I see it as a primarily secular holiday focused on family and the exchange of presents.
By Nattering Nabob
For everyone who receives a gift there is a giver so I think you can't comercialize Christmas.

Above all else, Jesus taught that we should treat others the way we would want to be treated so I feel that gift giving is the perfect way to celebrate his birth.

And I am sure Jesus would welcome anyone who would want to join in the celebration.
By QatzelOk
Above all else, Jesus taught that we should treat others the way we would want to be treated so I feel that gift giving is the perfect way to celebrate his birth.

He would have wanted us to have shopped on his behalf.

"He died for our malls."
By Dave
I have an uneasy relationship with Christmas. It was created by the papists, who are obviously not Christians, to preempt paganism (or rather, non-papist paganism). However, when we freed ourselves from Romanism and reestablished Christianity, Christmas was (mostly) retained. It is a celebration of great cultural importance now and a fine time for family to gather. Putting presents under the tree isn't going to restore the plague of popery.

People tend to forget that the French now have a s[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]