Agnosticism is this a religion? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
Agnosticism (Greek: α- a-, without + γνώσις gnōsis, knowledge; after Gnosticism) is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of deities, ghosts, or even ultimate reality — is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently impossible to prove or disprove. It is often put forth as a middle ground between theism and atheism,[1] though it is not a religious declaration in itself.

Demographic research services normally list agnostics in the same category as atheists and/or non-religious people,[2] using 'agnostic' in the sense of 'noncommittal'. However, this can be misleading given the existence of agnostic theists, who identify themselves as both agnostics in the original sense and followers of a particular religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

We believe honestly in God (so I am theist) but which religous praxis is the best is not possible to elaborate.
Last edited by Bosnjak on 10 Apr 2009 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
By Bosnjak
I think the most opera writers were agnostics. classic music is mostly written by agnostics.

By Kasu
Usually used to mean denying the possibility of knowing the nature or existence of God, but used by Marxists with the meaning of denying the possibility of knowledge of the objective world. Agnosticism is an extension of Scepticism in that while scepticism is always a valid aspect of investigation, Agnosticism elevates this doubt into an absolute denial of the possibility of knowledge. The term was coined by the British natural scientist Thomas Huxley and could be used to encompass the philosophy of Hume, Kant, neo-Positivism and others.

Agnosticism has various forms: some agnostics see an objective existence of the material world (eg. the tree does make a sound if no one is there to hear it) but deny the possibility of knowing it for certain, others deny the existence of the material world because it cannot be known for certain. (The latter position is similar to Husserl and his philosophy of transcendental subjectivism (phenomonology), with the exception that this is based on the belief that the 'self' is for certain, and therefore transcends all reality, all existance.)
By Bosnjak
@Kasu what is your opinion as technocrat, i think this could unite the worlds different cultures.

It has different roots, mostly in ancient Rome and Greece, but also the Sufi Tradition of Searching the truth.

Classical music bases on ottoman Sufi and Millitary Music.
By Bosnjak
It is a nice statephilosophy, but for me as religion does this not work.
By Bosnjak
Now I belive in this, this is my religion. My cult is science.
By Aekos
Bosnjak why don't you look into Gnosticism (whatever version you prefer). Great psychiatrists like Carl Jung drew inspiration from it.
By Bosnjak
I fuck on them. The priests are even better then this pseudoscience of psychatry. Too many people in the west listen on psychatrist (what is good for the pharma industry) instead to search for spirituality, religion is mostly better then those psychatrist. Psychatry works only if you belive in this.

I belive in (mental) strength.
By Doctor State
How about you come up with a reason to even bother deciding if agnosticism is a religion and then we'll decide. Seriously, how is a raven like a writing desk?

So far, lots of good comments and anecdotes - but […]

I bet you'd love to watch footage of her being ra[…]

I don't really think there is a fundamental diffe[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is because the definition of "anti-semi[…]