Who wrote the books of the bible? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
By Huntster
Hey, I'm an atheist Scottish Protestant, what do you expect?

Unfamiliarity with Roman Catholicism. And you delivered.
By Potemkin

I aim to please. :D :up:
By Maxim Litvinov
Todd is right on St Paul - he did write most of the stuff attributed to him according to mainstream scholarship.
By Huntster
Hey, I'm an atheist Scottish Protestant, what do you expect?

I aim to please!

Don't feel all alone. Lots of us Catholics haven't read the most recent Catechism, either, and don't have a clue. I've read it and found it to be outstanding.
By Paradigm
Maxim wrote:Todd is right on St Paul - he did write most of the stuff attributed to him according to mainstream scholarship.

Most, but far from all.

These are the undisputed epistles(i.e. most scholars agree he wrote them):
- Romans
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Galatians
- Philippians
- 1 Thessalonians
- Philemon

The most disputed ones are the letters to Timothy and Titus. Ephesians and 2 Thessalonians also contain significant stylistic differences. Colossians is also of significant dispute, particularly since it seems to attack Gnosticism, which is generally seen as a second century movement.

Of particular significance here is that the disputed letters display famous examples of misogyny, while the undisputed ones tend to show greater respect for women.
By dudekebm
I prefer the validity of the Cthulhu mythos, it's far more credible

Interesting, so if you go insane after reading the Necronomicon or Pnakotic Manuscripts it will credibly prove that indeed they were authored by a rather unbalanced man from the area around Yemen around 700AD and the time travelling Great Race of Yith, respectively? ;)
By MistyTiger
These are the undisputed epistles(i.e. most scholars agree he wrote them):
- Romans
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Galatians
- Philippians
- 1 Thessalonians
- Philemon

Philemon? I really don't remember an epistle by that name. :hmm:
By Potemkin
Last edited by Potemkin on 06 May 2009 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
By Okonkwo
MistyTiger wrote:Philemon? I really don't remember an epistle by that name. :hmm:

The Epistle to Philemon is an 18th book of the New Testament of the Bible. It is Saint Paul's eloquent appeal on behalf of a runaway slave, Onesimus, whom he had converted to Christianity.
The letter, which was probably written during Paul's Ephesian imprisonment in AD 56 or during his Roman imprisonment 5 years later, shows the depth of his Christian humanism. In it he asks Philemon - a wealthy Christian of Colossae whom he had converted - for Onesimus's quiet return to his former station or, in another interpretation, for his complete freedom to become an evangelist. The epistle is considered one of the most important early Christian writings that deal with such issues as forgiveness and humanism.

You can read it here.

EDIT: Damn you Potemkin, you beat me to it.
*raises fist in the air*
By Bosnjak
It is hard to distiguish between gods orders, and those of a Prophet (who was simply a philosopher).
By Potemkin
It is hard to distiguish between gods orders, and those of a Prophet (who was simply a philosopher).

The idea is that God would speak through the prophets. The Bible is full of prophets going up to Israelite kings and declaring, "Thus sayeth the Lord: ...." It's a matter of opinion as to whose words these were; the direct word of God or merely the individual prophet's idea about what God would say if He could speak for himself.

Yeah, I'm in Maine. I have met Jimjam, but haven'[…]

No, you can't make that call without seeing the ev[…]

The people in the Synagogue, at Charlottesville, […]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]