Hell and the Devil - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
By Hindsite
Besoeker wrote:You also told us that the entire universe and everything in it was created six (earth) days, some of it even before days existed or could be counted. Surely even you can the inherent problem with that?

No problem. God created the day from the beginning when He created the earth and its rotation. We use one revolution of the earth to define a day on earth even today.

The earth rotates about an imaginary line that passes through the North and South Poles of the planet. This line is called the axis of rotation. Earth rotates about this axis once each day (approximately 24 hours). Although you most likely already knew that fact, there is a slight complication most people are not aware of.

More specifically, our rotation period (the time elapsed for one rotation) with respect to the stars is called a sidereal day. A sidereal day is 24 sidereal hours, or 23 hours and 56 minutes on a normal clock. Our clock time is based on the earth's rotation with respect to the sun from solar noon to solar noon. This is a solar day, and it is divided into 24 hours. Because Earth travels about 1 / 365 of the way around the sun during one day, there is a small difference between solar time and sidereal time.

http://www.polaris.iastate.edu/NorthSta ... 3_sub1.htm
By ingliz
God defines the knowledge of the truth as science.

Where, exactly? Chapter and verse, from the mouth of God, please.

By Hindsite
ingliz wrote:Where, exactly? Chapter and verse, from the mouth of God, please.

Maybe you will complain that this is not directly from the mouth of God, but one with wisdom can come to the knowledge of the truth form the inspired words in the Holy Bible and common sense.

Today we usually define science in the following way:

1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.
2. systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/science

The word "science" was brought into the the English language from the Latin "scientia, from scient-, sciens" having knowledge. In the Greek it is derived from "gnosis", the act of knowing; (by implication) knowledge, science.

The following are the examples of the word being translated both as science and as knowledge in the Holy Bible:

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
(1 Timothy 6:20 KJV)

O Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you, avoiding worldly and empty chatter and the opposing arguments of what is falsely called "knowledge"
(1 Timothy 6:20 NASB)

So we see that science is knowledge, but here is also the implication that real knowldege is truth. The Lord also referred to himself as the Truth.

The theory of evolution is falsely called science because the theory of evolution has not been proven as true. In fact, the theory of evolution contradicts the inspired words of God wriiten down by the holy prophets.

“Lord,” said Thomas, “we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you had known Me, you would know My Father as well. From now you do know Him and have seen Him.”
(John 14:5-7 NASB)

Then you will discern the fear of the LORD And discover the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
(Proverbs 2:5-6)

Daniel said, "Let the name of God be blessed forever and ever, For wisdom and power belong to Him. It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men And knowledge to men of understanding. It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, And the light dwells with Him.
(Daniel 2:20-22 NASB)

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
(John 8:31-32)

This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the [i]truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all — the testimony that was given at just the right time. For this reason I was appointed as a herald, an apostle, and a faithful and true teacher of the Gentiles. I am telling the truth; I am not lying about anything.
(1 Timothy 2:3-7 NASB)

But reject foolish and ignorant speculation, for you know that it breeds quarreling. And a servant of the Lord must not be quarrelsome, but he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, and forbearing. He must gently reprove those who oppose him, in the hope that God may grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth. Then they will come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, who has taken them captive to his will.
(2 Timothy 2:23-26 NASB)
Last edited by Hindsite on 10 May 2016 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
By Besoeker
Besoeker wrote:You also told us that the entire universe and everything in it was created six (earth) days, some of it even before days existed or could be counted. Surely even you can the inherent problem with that?

Hindsite wrote:No problem. God created the day from the beginning when He created the earth and its rotation. We use one revolution of the earth to define a day on earth even today.

The earth rotates about an imaginary line that passes through the North and South Poles of the planet. This line is called the axis of rotation. Earth rotates about this axis once each day (approximately 24 hours). Although you most likely already knew that fact, there is a slight complication most people are not aware of.

More specifically, our rotation period (the time elapsed for one rotation) with respect to the stars is called a sidereal day. A sidereal day is 24 sidereal hours, or 23 hours and 56 minutes on a normal clock. Our clock time is based on the earth's rotation with respect to the sun [b]from solar noon to solar noon.
This is a solar day, and it is divided into 24 hours. Because Earth travels about 1 / 365 of the way around the sun during one day, there is a small difference between solar time and sidereal time.[/b]

But the sun doesn't appear until several days into the Genises version of creation.
And the 23h 56m is why the time of high tide varies from one day to the next.
By Hindsite
Besoeker wrote:But the sun doesn't appear until several days into the Genises version of creation.
And the 23h 56m is why the time of high tide varies from one day to the next.

Man was not created until the sixth day, either. None of that keeps god from counting the days.
You forget that God created the earth and light and divided tha light from the darkness in the beginning on day number one. There was evening and morning the first day. The sun is only needed after the creation of plants.
By Besoeker
Hindsite wrote:Man was not created until the sixth day, either. None of that keeps god from counting the days.
You forget that God created the earth and light and divided tha light from the darkness in the beginning on day number one. There was evening and morning the first day. The sun is only needed after the creation of plants.

OK. Define evening and morning. Without the sun.
By Hindsite
Besoeker wrote:OK. Define evening and morning. Without the sun.

In reference to the fist creation day, the evening was that half of the rotation of the earth when the waters over the earth was in darkness, the morning came during the second half of the rotation of the earth when God said, "Let there be light."
By ingliz
The Lord also referred to himself as the Truth.

"Science, physical or metaphysical, postulating the validity of knowledge, or at least leaving this problem out of consideration, studies only the different objects of knowledge, their nature and properties. As to the crucial questions, the validity of knowledge, its limitations, and the relations between the knowing subject and the known object, these belong to the province of epistemology."

Catholic Encyclopedia

Last edited by ingliz on 10 May 2016 07:53, edited 2 times in total.
By Besoeker
Besoeker wrote:OK. Define evening and morning. Without the sun.

In reference to the fist creation day, the evening was that half of the rotation of the earth when the waters over the earth was in darkness, the morning came during the second half of the rotation of the earth when God said, "Let there be light."[/quote]
OK. What was that light if there was no sun or moon until day four?
By Hindsite
Besoeker wrote:OK. What was that light if there was no sun or moon until day four?

I guess you will have to ask God on that one. Genesis does not explain that one, but I would guess the light came from God, because certain scriptures say God is light.

In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
(John 1:4-5 NASB)

This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.
(1 John 1:5 NASB)

But I saw no temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. And the city has no need for sun or moon to shine on it, because the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its lamp. By its light the nations will walk, and into it the kings of the earth will bring their glory. Its gates will never be shut at the end of the day, because there will be no night there.
(Revelation 21:22-25 NASB)

Don't you have something to ask about Hell and the Devil?
By Besoeker
Besoeker wrote:OK. What was that light if there was no sun or moon until day four?

Hindsite wrote:I guess you will have to ask God on that one.

So you can't explain the anomaly.
No problem. And no surprise.
By Besoeker
Hindsite wrote:Don't you have something to ask about Hell and the Devil?

Why would I ask you about things I don't think exist and for which there is repeatable testible evidence?
By Hindsite
ingliz wrote:"Science, physical or metaphysical, postulating the validity of knowledge, or at least leaving this problem out of consideration, studies only the different objects of knowledge, their nature and properties. As to the crucial questions, the validity of knowledge, its limitations, and the relations between the knowing subject and the known object, these belong to the province of epistemology."

Catholic Encyclopedia

Epistemology; from Greek epistēmē, meaning "knowledge", and logos, meaning "word") is the branch of philosophy concerned with the theory of knowledge.

Epistemology studies the nature of knowledge, the rationality of belief, and justification. Much of the debate in epistemology centers on four areas: the philosophical analysis of the nature of knowledge and how it relates to such concepts as truth, belief, and justification, various problems of skepticism, the sources and scope of knowledge and justified belief, and the criteria for knowledge and justification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology
By Hindsite
Besoeker wrote:So you can't explain the anomaly.
No problem. And no surprise.

God knows.
And at least I know more than you, because you have to ask me questions on things you don't know.
I don't have to ask you anything.
By Besoeker
Hindsite wrote:God knows.
And at least I know more than you, because you have to ask me questions on things you don't know.
I don't have to ask you anything.

That asumes there is a god entity.
I make no such assumption.
You do make assumptions which means you don't know either.
By Hindsite
Besoeker wrote:That asumes there is a god entity.
I make no such assumption.
You do make assumptions which means you don't know either.

No assumption on my part. I know God, exists because I was made in His image.
I am not sure about you. Perhaps, God made you in the image of a monkey.
By Besoeker
Hindsite wrote:.

No assumption on my part. I know God, exists because I was made in His image.[/quote]
So you claim that you look like god?
That's an assumption with no valid testable evidence.
Can't you see that?
By Hindsite
Besoeker wrote:Can't you see that?

No, because a lightbulb and a candle can give off light without the sun, so why can't God who made the sun?

Hell is in utter darkness, yet it burns as if it were fire. How do you explain all of that?
By annatar1914
Hindsite, a man is convinced of God and His Revelation using natural philiosophy; an hour later he is in doubt, as Blaise Pascal wrote.

It should be enough to believe in spite of the world, without using the world's philosophy, not worth an hour's pain (and you have expended more time than that).

You fail to convince because error lies in the Will and not the Intellect, and you use the weapons of Intellect and show you're half in their camp. Therefore, they set the agenda and move the goalposts. "What has Athens to do with Jerusalem?'', said Church Father Tertullian....

@late So then...do you agree that it's fully a m[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Assuming it's true. What a jackass. It's like tho[…]

It's the Elite of the USA that is "jealous&q[…]

The dominant race of the planet is still the Whit[…]