The Genealogy of Jesus Christ - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
ThirdTerm wrote:The video may be basically right about Joseph, who may not be Jesus' biological father. Mary's virgin birth theory, which surmises that Jesus was conceived in the womb of Mary through the Holy Spirit while Mary was yet a virgin, can only be explained by the presence of Jesus' mystical biological father.

Jesus said, "But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."
(Matthew 10:33 KJV)
Hindsite wrote:You do not seem to understand that one must believe first before one can know anything.

Bearing in mind that I'm a research academic, that's what we call confirmation bias.

Wikipedia wrote:Confirmation bias...is the tendency to search for, interpret, favour, and recall information in a way that confirms one's pre-existing beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities. It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs (my bold). People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position.

Thus, if you believe first - blindly - and then seek knowledge, you will only accept knowledge that confirms your belief.
Cartertonian wrote:Wikipedia: Confirmation bias...is the tendency to search for, interpret, favour, and recall information in a way that confirms one's pre-existing beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities. It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs (my bold). People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position.

Thus, if you believe first - blindly - and then seek knowledge, you will only accept knowledge that confirms your belief.

It seems to me that the definition fits you as well. You seem so arrogant that you refuse to consider the possibility that I could be right and you wrong because my beliefs do not fit with your preconceived beliefs or hypotheses.

Perhaps you were provided with propaganda from men as knowledge instead of true knowledge.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.
(Proverbs 1:7)

For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
(Proverbs 2:6)
Hindsite wrote:You seem so arrogant that you refuse to consider the possibility that I could be right and you wrong because my beliefs do not fit with your preconceived beliefs or hypotheses.

On the contrary, Hindsite, the very essence of my position as an agnostic is I that fully acknowledge that you could be right.

Whereas the essence of your position seems to be a complete unwillingness to consider that you could be wrong.

The etymology of the word 'agnostic' simply means 'an absence of knowledge'. It is not synonymous with the word 'atheist'.
Note: Most atheists, are actually mostly agnostic. We don't believe, but, like science, if the evidence proves otherwise, then sign me up!
Indeed. A-Theists are every bit as much believers in something for which they have no proof as are Theists. The only logically consistent and defensible position, in my view, is agnosticism.

To complicate matters further, though, whilst I maintain an agnosticism in terms of having to admit that I do not know, on a personal level I am happy to believe (that is, accepting something without proof) that there is some higher power in the universe and also that Jesus was an extension of that power into our world.
Cartertonian wrote:On the contrary, Hindsite, the very essence of my position as an agnostic is I that fully acknowledge that you could be right.

Whereas the essence of your position seems to be a complete unwillingness to consider that you could be wrong.

The etymology of the word 'agnostic' simply means 'an absence of knowledge'. It is not synonymous with the word 'atheist'.

I do acknowledge I could be wrong and often I am both wrong and right. However, I do not acknowledge that God can be wrong. I believe that is the main difference between your arrogant attitude and mine.
I do acknowledge I could be wrong and often I am both wrong and right. However, I do not acknowledge that God can be wrong. I believe that is the main difference between your arrogant attitude and mine.

Really?

Given my stated position as an agnostic, if God exists then I would be perfectly happy to accept his omniscience and infallibility. The denial of fallibility to which I object is yours, not God's.
The Bible, written by HUMANS, can be wrong because it was written by humans. Case closed.

You cannot be wrong and right.
Godstud wrote:The Bible, written by HUMANS, can be wrong because it was written by humans. Case closed.

You cannot be wrong and right.

Absolutely.

I think where the ardent theists get their knickers in a twist is that, as far as they are concerned, God was guiding the hand of all the authors, editors and scribes who assembled the body of scripture over millennia. Ergo, scripture is the literal word of God and not to be questioned.
Cartertonian wrote:Really?

Given my stated position as an agnostic, if God exists then I would be perfectly happy to accept his omniscience and infallibility. The denial of fallibility to which I object is yours, not God's.

God has given you the freewill to believe as you please. However, I will advise you that there may be hell to pay.
Cartertonian wrote:Really?

Hindsite wrote:God has given you the freewill to believe as you please.

Really?
You state that as a certainty.
I'm an atheist, without theism. Thus no belief that we were given anything by the supernatural entity you call god.
But you, by your own statement are certain that my absence of theism is just plain wrong.

Don't you see that as arrogant?
Besoeker wrote:Really?
I'm an atheist, without theism. Thus no belief that we were given anything by the supernatural entity you call god.
But you, by your own statement are certain that my absence of theism is just plain wrong.

Of course I am arrogant. I am on God's side and He has said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life."
Besoeker wrote:Really?

Hindsite wrote:Of course I am arrogant. I am on God's side and He has said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

I think you're just plain wrong.
Besoeker wrote:I think you're just plain wrong.

Okay, I have been wrong many times in my life, so I can understand your belief.
I can't claim to be an eyewitness myself. However, I still believe my faith is justified this time.
May God bless you like He has blessed me.
Besoeker wrote:Maybe you will understand that one day.

Maybe before you die, you will come to understand your belief is plain wrong.
If not, you will understand in Hell.
Hell is bullshit, just like most of your posts. They're all around YOUR belief and you don't care a wit about anyone else and that they may, or may not, believe. Your posts are sanctimonious and exceptionally arrogant.
Godstud wrote:Hell is bullshit, just like most of your posts. They're all around YOUR belief and you don't care a wit about anyone else and that they may, or may not, believe. Your posts are sanctimonious and exceptionally arrogant.

I am a Christian and I do care about what others believe on certain things. One can not be saved from Hell, if they do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—for our testimony to you was believed.
(2 Thessalonians 1:9-10 NASB)

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.”
(John 3:16-21 NASB)

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
(Matthew 10:28 NASB)

@FiveofSwords Changing your argument is calle[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipment[…]

These protests are beautiful. And again..the kids […]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake[…]