Karma and Christianity - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
By Hong Wu
The following is a rough draft of some metaphysical thoughts I've been having, primarily it's an analysis of Christianity from an eastern perspective.

To begin with, karma is sometimes defined as action that results in a "conditioning of the self to the material world." The avoidance of generating karma, or shedding it, means to prevent or undo such a burden. I think this is similar to the Christian idea re: "keep yourself unstained by the world".

There is a Taoist concept called "to act without acting" which is similar to some Hindu, Yogic and Buddhist concepts about taking action without generating karma. I think that "turning the other cheek" may be the same idea here, that is, it's an "act without acting" that takes control of a situation without generating karma. To provide a brief overview of the cultural mores and laws of the time, someone could backhand slap someone of inferior stature and it was an insult, but another kind of slap was considered a challenge to a duel. Presumably, someone who slaps you in one way will probably back down when you present the other cheek, or else they will give you an opportunity to fight them in a duel. Assuming you aren't a coward or unable to defend yourself, either way you win at that point. In instances where you can't fight for some reason, moving away is considered acceptable in the bible. Ritual suicide (such as Japanese seppuku) is probably also acceptable from an eastern perspective although suicide is frowned upon in Christianity. The point where these things are similar to each other may be under this karmic analysis.

Another Christian concept is that of anonymous charity. People are encouraged to do charitable things but not in order to receive any reward or to be seen by others, giving anonymously can accomplish that. This expenditure of wealth (wealth being a very likely way to generate "karma") anonymously and not for any self benefit, while causing good fortune for others anonymously would also be an act that doesn't generate and perhaps even ameliorates karma.

Anyone have any further ideas or comments?
Albert wrote:karma = sin in Christianity.

Far from it. They are two very different moral frameworks, and quite possibly the most significant difference between East and West. I would say that each tradition has some semblance of both, but the emphasis is very different. Karma is a force of nature. It is simply cause-and-effect. Your actions reverberate into the future, coming back to you either in this life or in your next incarnation. Sin, on the other hand, is less of a metaphysical force and more akin to illness (Kierkegaard called it "sickness unto death"). It is a matter of falling short of the divine perfection to which we are all called. Through repentance, we are able to be healed and restored to a state of grace (which can be likened to spiritual health). In Christianity, Christ forgives our sins, and offers us the gift of grace for free. In Buddhism and Hinduism, there is no "forgiveness" of karma anymore than there is "forgiveness" of a broken leg after falling off a roof. It simply has to work itself out (there are deities such as Tara or Guanyin who can offer mercy, but that is a slightly different matter, more akin to the role of Mary in Catholicism).
By Hong Wu
Forgiveness in Christianity requires faith in Jesus Christ, which realistically requires certain behaviors and a willingness to undergo contrition or suffering (see: Book of Job). As such, I don't think that forgiveness in Christianity is really "free" it's just that the "price" is considered a non-issue for someone who really has faith. Therefore, I am not sure how different it really is from karma, in both cases one is expected to accept that things will work themselves out.
I think paradigm makes the better case. Karma is presented as a force, no amount of faith or ritual will make it not happen. Sin is a sickness cleansed by the blood of God and faith.

There seems to be something fundamentally important in the difference.
By noemon
I think mikema's interpretation is mistaken and Paradigm tried to draw a distinction which is simply a matter of semantics when you strip it down.

Karma is a result of action(both physical & mental).

Sin is also a result of action(both physical & mental).

Karma encompasses both positive and negatives aspects of said actions.
Sin only encompasses the negative actions.
Bad karma heals itself by entering into a good state of being through physical & mental actions, it takes work and is not automatic.
Bad sin heals itself by entering into a good state of being through physical & mental actions, subnote: associated with Christ in Christianity, it also takes work and is not just a matter of simply calling upon Christ's name.
By fuser
Paradigm, mostly I agree with your post but I also agree with Noemon's post too. One can escape the laws of Karma permanently i.e. Nirvana and as Noemon said one can overcome the effects of karma through physical or metaphysical actions. But I agree with, Sin =/= Karma.

Then, concept of Karma in Hinduism and Buddhism aren't exactly same
By Donna
The Christian theosopher Rudolf Steiner described Jesus Christ as the 'Lord of Karma', the impulse who transforms karma from something that is imposed by nature from without, to something that is consented to in order to reach Christian perfection from within. For Steiner the Cross of Christ also gave new meaning to the transmigration of souls; rather than evading the suffering of the Earth by escaping corporeality (i.e. repeated appearances on Earth), the encounter with Christ inspires the desire to re-appear on the Earth in order to influence its spiritual evolution in a good way, as well as embrace the transmutative power of suffering itself. It might be said that, in relation to the doctrine of karma, the East developed it as a wisdom tradition while Christianity necessarily omitted it (as well as the transmigration of souls) in order to emphasize the development of the Will, as it is through Jesus Christ that the Will discovers its hidden power.

...Imagine the Russians telling the US it needs t[…]

Supposedly Iran sent information on their attack t[…]

LOL When protesters are arrested, it is cops be[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

“They started it” is an excuse used by schoolchild[…]