Question of Faith - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
By Albert
I have been struggling with the question of faith for good time now. What is faith, is it something you do, is it ambition determination, is it similar to hope? Must you put an effort to it?

Here is something Christ said that made me contemplate recently about.
Aramaic Bible wrote:Because of this I say to you, you shall not take pains for yourselves with what you will eat, or what you will drink, neither for your body, what you will put on; behold, is not the soul greater than food, and the body than clothing? Behold the birds of the sky, that they neither sow nor reap, neither do they gather into barns, and your Father who is in Heaven sustains them; behold, are you not better than they? But who of you, while taking pains, is able to add a foot and a half to his stature? And why are you taking pains about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow without laboring or weaving. But I say to you, not even Solomon in all his glory was clothed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field that is today and will fall into the oven tomorrow, does he not multiply more to you, Oh small of faith? Therefore do not be concerned or say, ''What will we eat?', or ''What will we drink?', or, ''What will we wear'? For the Gentiles are seeking all these things, but your Father who is in Heaven knows that all these things are necessary for you. But seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
It seem Christ here is saying that God already knows what you need and what is best for you. So what we are left with then? Is not wanting?

From my experience the greatest thing that moves our lives forwards is wisdom and understanding.
Proverbs 3 wrote: My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine. My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in. Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her; those who hold her fast will be blessed. By wisdom the LORD laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place; by his knowledge the watery depths were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew. My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be at your side and will keep your foot from being snared. Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, “Come back tomorrow and I’ll give it to you”— when you already have it with you. Do not plot harm against your neighbor, who lives trustfully near you. Do not accuse anyone for no reason— when they have done you no harm. Do not envy the violent or choose any of their ways. For the LORD detests the perverse but takes the upright into his confidence. The LORD’s curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the home of the righteous. He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed. The wise inherit honor, but fools get only shame.
Understanding is being of such, that it is not in our control it arrives to use through almost one can say grace. It almost as if it is a gift, we were standing there looking at a scenery then the next thing one knows they had reached understanding of economic process of some sort. Einstein realized the theory of relativity during a conversation with a friend, Newton gravity when an apple fell on his head.

So what are we left with then? Accepting that universe, god this life ultimately in charge in the end? Your thought?
By Atlantis
Albert wrote:I have been struggling with the question of faith for good time now. What is faith, is it something you do, is it ambition determination, is it similar to hope? Must you put an effort to it?

I think it's most like putting an effort into it. First, there is an act of blind faith, or perhaps it is intuition, or perhaps there is karma too, something to set us off, then there is lifelong practice which we'll make faith grow stronger. Doesn't mean we won't waver, though.
Faith is true belief. It is something that exists within the depths of one's heart. It cannot be measured and there is no way to tell oneself that they are a true believer. I believe that the sincerity of a believer's faith is something that only the Lord Almighty can judge.
By Atlantis
Political Interest wrote:Faith is true belief. It is something that exists within the depths of one's heart. It cannot be measured and there is no way to tell oneself that they are a true believer. I believe that the sincerity of a believer's faith is something that only the Lord Almighty can judge.

Why do you think faith and belief are synonyms?

Can't I be an agnostic and have faith?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Well decades after we are still here. So for all […]

I'm not American. Politics is power relations be[…]

@FiveofSwords If you want to dump some random […]

…. I don't know who in their right mind would be[…]