What percentage of people do you think are damned? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
I'm in a bit of a cynical mood lately, and might need to brush up on my philosophy and spiritual readings, but if I had to pick a figure, I'd say at least 90%, of Americans anyway.

Perhaps lower numbers in the nations of the Orient and the East.
True, though to some degree this may have always been a truism - Christ mentioned the narrow gate, with the road to ruin being wide.

Ultimately though no one has any excuse.
Most Christians throughout history have believed that only a tiny minority of the human race are worthy to gain admittance into heaven. And it's difficult not to agree with them.
Albert wrote:Do you guys think there might have had been a time where this was not true. Perhaps an era or an epoch?

Not just in Christianity either, in Buddhism, and the philosophy of Platonism, the general idea seems to be that most will find suffering due to being too in love with the material world, instead of pursuing things of a higher nature.

Seems to potentially be a universal perception.
0%

There can be no hell if you have a god who is forgiving.

Not really, that'd be like saying there can be no "Justice" unless Dahmer and Gacy are pardoned.

"Damning" is simply religious fear-mongering meant to keep people placid and malleable.

To be damned is a natural spiritual consequence which follows one's behavior like the laws of nature, whether from a Christian or Muslim perspective, or Eastern perspective like that of Karma. The concept transcends creeds.
To be damned is a natural spiritual consequence which follows one's behavior like the laws of nature, whether from a Christian or Muslim perspective, or Eastern perspective like that of Karma. The concept transcends creeds.

Precisely. The judgement of God is never arbitrary. In a sense, God merely notes a fact which is already the case - that by doing what he or she has done, the sinner has damned themselves. It's rather like the idea of excommunication - the heretic excommunicates themselves by their words or actions, and the Church merely retrospectively recognises and acknowledges that fact. That's the theory anyway. ;)
This has to be the best topic I've ever seen at the top of my "new posts" feed. :lol:

Anyway, I'd say a pretty hefty percentage are damned. Here is a partial list from just a few scripture verses:

Hypocrites (Matthew 24:51), The Unforgiving (Mark 11:26), Homosexuals (Romans 1:26, 27), Fornicators (Romans 1:29), The Wicked (Romans 1:29), The Covetous (Romans 1:29), The Malicious (Romans 1:29), The Envious (Romans 1:29), Murderers (Romans 1:29), The Deceitful (Romans 1:29), Backbiters (Romans 1:30), Haters of God (Romans 1:30), The Despiteful (Romans 1:30), The Proud (Romans 1:30), Boasters (Romans 1:30), Inventors of evil (Romans 1:30), Disobedient to parents (Romans 1:30), Covenant breakers (Romans 1:31), The Unmerciful (Romans 1:31), The Implacable (Romans 1:31), The Unrighteous (1Corinthians 6:9), Idolaters (1Corinthians 6:9), Adulterers (1Corinthians 6:9), The Effeminate (1Corinthians 6:9), Thieves (1Corinthians 6:10), Drunkards (1Corinthians 6:10), Reviler (1Corinthians 6:10), Extortioners (1Corinthians 6:10), The Fearful (Revelation 21:8), The Unbelieving (Revelation 21:8), The Abominable (Revelation 21:8), Whoremongers (Revelation 21:8), Sorcerers (Revelation 21:8), All Liars (Revelation 21:8)
I think the bible says 144,000 will go to heaven. It also says a new Jurusalem will be built on earth for the rest, the survivor sinner class.

I feel bad that my dogs have a significantly better chance at going to heaven than I
Stormsmith wrote:I think the bible says 144,000 will go to heaven. It also says a new Jurusalem will be built on earth for the rest, the survivor sinner class.

I feel bad that my dogs have a significantly better chance at going to heaven than I

Your post reminded me of this:

http://electricsheepcomix.com/apocamon/
Iran is going to attack Israel

Wait a moment, I'll just quickly pick up the weapo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The Pentagon is notoriously famous for not findin[…]

I am not the one who never shows his credentials […]

As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossi[…]