A Theory on Why the World Becomes more Materialistic - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
Let's presume here that reincarnation exists, which makes this a Buddhist-like theory. This would mean there are three states: going to hell, being reincarnated and going to nirvana/heaven/transcending the earth.

Let's also imagine that the threshold to go to hell is pretty high. This isn't one of those theories where most people go to hell, rather a small minority go to hell, a small minority transcend and the rest are reincarnated, sometimes many times over.

If this were true, eventually a buildup or accumulation of souls that have failed to transcend would appear. If we give these souls a metaphysical "weight" then the world would become heavier, or if we presume a human-like cognizant God, then He might grow impatient and decide that some of these people need to make their choice. Either way the load could use lightening.

As such, the world becomes increasingly oriented towards materialism (or the illusion/maya becomes stronger) because this makes going to hell easier. When going to hell is easier, the accumulation of souls decreases and after this happens, things like religiosity and an orientation away from materialism becomes manifest again because more of the souls present lack this dithering quality.
Hong Wu wrote:Let's presume here that reincarnation exists, which makes this a Buddhist-like theory. This would mean there are three states: going to hell, being reincarnated and going to nirvana/heaven/transcending the earth.

Let's also imagine that the threshold to go to hell is pretty high. This isn't one of those theories where most people go to hell, rather a small minority go to hell, a small minority transcend and the rest are reincarnated, sometimes many times over.

If this were true, eventually a buildup or accumulation of souls that have failed to transcend would appear. If we give these souls a metaphysical "weight" then the world would become heavier, or if we presume a human-like cognizant God, then He might grow impatient and decide that some of these people need to make their choice. Either way the load could use lightening.

As such, the world becomes increasingly oriented towards materialism (or the illusion/maya becomes stronger) because this makes going to hell easier. When going to hell is easier, the accumulation of souls decreases and after this happens, things like religiosity and an orientation away from materialism becomes manifest again because more of the souls present lack this dithering quality.

Is the world heavier now because there is an increasing population?
Is the world heavier now because there is an increasing population?

He's probably referring to the 'carrying capacity' of the Earth, though the fact that souls are recycled through the process of reincarnation actually takes care of that in the Buddhist spiritual economy. However, come to think of it, if there are a fixed number of souls constantly being reincarnated, yet the population at any given moment is increasing, then the number of human beings currently on the Earth at any given moment will eventually exceed the fixed number of souls in existence. There won't be enough souls to go around. What happens then, I wonder.... What happens then?! :eek:

Hey, whaddaya know? I've just had a deep think. 8)
I think my post quality might be suffering because I've had decreased interest since Trump won. But I said "heavier" because (and I should have thought to explain this) when someone has an "upwards spiritual orientation" they are in a sense "lighter" and when someone has a downwards spiritual orientation (towards the earth, or Sheol/hell) they are "heavier".

I was just wondering how I have not read any explanation yet for why the "illusion" or materialism grows stronger. There is the revolt of the Kshatriyas theory (and possibly the successive revolts of other branches) but this doesn't provide an ultimate explanation for why it takes place.
Hong Wu wrote:I think my post quality might be suffering because I've had decreased interest since Trump won. But I said "heavier" because (and I should have thought to explain this) when someone has an "upwards spiritual orientation" they are in a sense "lighter" and when someone has a downwards spiritual orientation (towards the earth, or Sheol/hell) they are "heavier".

I was just wondering how I have not read any explanation yet for why the "illusion" or materialism grows stronger. There is the revolt of the Kshatriyas theory (and possibly the successive revolts of other branches) but this doesn't provide an ultimate explanation for why it takes place.

Or even if it takes place.
Potemkin wrote:He's probably referring to the 'carrying capacity' of the Earth, though the fact that souls are recycled through the process of reincarnation actually takes care of that in the Buddhist spiritual economy. However, come to think of it, if there are a fixed number of souls constantly being reincarnated, yet the population at any given moment is increasing, then the number of human beings currently on the Earth at any given moment will eventually exceed the fixed number of souls in existence. There won't be enough souls to go around. What happens then, I wonder.... What happens then?! :eek:

Buddhists believe in an infinite number of universes in which one can reincarnate, so carrying capacity isn't really an issue. Buddhas can even create new Pure Lands. Also, Buddhists don't believe in a "soul" as we understand it. What "reincarnates" is the karma of a previous individual.
Paradigm wrote:Buddhists believe in an infinite number of universes in which one can reincarnate, so carrying capacity isn't really an issue. Buddhas can even create new Pure Lands. Also, Buddhists don't believe in a "soul" as we understand it. What "reincarnates" is the karma of a previous individual.

So the theory is that your 'karma' wasn't necessarily previously related to a human on Earth, but could have been spending time joined to a Karg on the planet Troxitoid? Or in an existence in a universe with different physical laws?

Would reincarnating karma tend to stay in the same type of existence as before, with transfers between universes only happening when needed to ensure a growing population has enough, or is the karma reassigned to universes at random all the time - in which case it's presumably rare for ones karma to have been on Earth before?
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:So the theory is that your 'karma' wasn't necessarily previously related to a human on Earth, but could have been spending time joined to a Karg on the planet Troxitoid? Or in an existence in a universe with different physical laws?

Theoretically, you can be reborn as anything, but they do believe that multiple universes are like our own, and contain humans, just like our universe. Yet they also believe that a human incarnation is extremely rare, and the only form in which one can attain enlightenment.

Would reincarnating karma tend to stay in the same type of existence as before, with transfers between universes only happening when needed to ensure a growing population has enough, or is the karma reassigned to universes at random all the time - in which case it's presumably rare for ones karma to have been on Earth before?

There is no sentient being controlling karma. It's a law of nature. Karma flows like a river to the place of least resistance. Whatever karma one has accumulated over one's lifetime will determine where one is reincarnated. If you accumulate a great deal of negative karma, you will be reborn in one of the Hell realms. A great deal of good karma can have you reborn as a god in one of the heavenly realms, living for thousands of years in ecstatic bliss. However, such bliss will prevent you from seeking enlightenment, and at the end of that life, you will fall into a lower realm. That is why it is such a blessing to be born a human, who can seek enlightenment and escape the cycle of samsara.

The link and quote has been posted. As well as l[…]

Nobody is trying to distract from the humanitarian[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]