Creation in 6 days or Evolution over billions of years - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
What is a Day in Genesis?

In Genesis a day is one complete rotation of the earth. God does not need our sun to tell when the earth has made one complete rotation. The sun and moon were created on the fourth day so man could tell time. The evening and morning of the day is determined from the point of view of God's position as His light shines on the earth when the earth rotates on its axis. A day in Genesis is basically the same amount of time as it is today.

Many people struggle with understanding what the word 'day' in Genesis 1 means. Since the word 'day' has a variety of meanings some believe that it could mean that God created over millions of years. Richard Fangrad and Calvin Smith, give many examples of how the word 'day' can be used in different ways. In most cases it is easy to understand the variety of meanings based on the context. When this simple principle is applied to understanding the meaning of the word 'day' in the context of Genesis 1 the meaning is also clear: it is a literal day!

Did God Create in 6 Literal Days

The Holy Bible gives us a specific time span for the creation events of Genesis Chapter one. This six day time span is also written in stone with God's own finger as part of the 4th commandment of the 10 commandments.

For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
(Exodus 20:11)

Creation vs. Evolution: Amazing Variety of Creatures

We discover that many related species belong to the same family and can breed together. The Bible says God sent “kinds,” not species, onto the Ark. As we learn about extinct animals like dinosaurs, we realize that Noah must have brought these fascinating creatures on board, too. It seems the more we learn about the world and consider how the Bible makes sense of it all, the more our vision of the Ark grows.

Every land-dwelling, air-breathing animal in the world today owes its existence to its Ark ancestors. Based on fossils of some animals, such as the platypus, the modern representatives do not seem to be very different from the pair Noah cared for. However, due to the remarkable genetic diversity and adaptability within many of the kinds, most animals have gone through great changes since the Flood, to the point that some Ark kinds may be nearly unrecognizable.

The cat kind provides a great example of the diversity God placed within the created kinds. Many Ark illustrations show lions, tigers, and other large cats boarding the Ark, but this concept is mistaken. All of these large cats are members of the same created kind, so Noah did not bring two tigers, two lions, etc. In fact, Noah needed a total of only two cats—studies have shown that all cats are part of the same created kind. This would include modern alley cats, the famous saber-toothed cat (Smilodon), and many other large cats, whether living or extinct.

A recent study on the Ark’s mammals, published in Answers Research Journal, concluded that foxes are even part of the dog kind, despite large differences in chromosomal numbers. Although no known crosses between dogs and foxes exist today, their anatomy is very similar, and a handful of seemingly reliable reports of hybrid “doxes” were recorded in the past two centuries.

The remains of some animals have been found in rock layers we believe were deposited in the centuries after the Flood. Others, like the dinosaurs, are known only from sediments laid down during the year long Flood.

https://answersingenesis.org/noahs-ark/ ... k-animals/
Thought this would be under spirituality so it took me a while to find it, from the original thread:

Hindsite wrote:In an attempt to prevent this thread from constantly deviating for the original topic, I have decide to start another thread on Creation in 6 days or Evolution over billions of years.

Gerald Schroeder has a go at explaining why these two might not be contradictory:

I realise we are talking also of the history of the Universe here, but this and evolution tend to flow into each other. Most of the arguments tend to revolve around that fixed 6000yrs thing, but that's not even in the bible, put that aside and we can hopefully think more flexibly.
Suntzu wrote:
From an atheist point of view the 6,000 year old Earth is not as big a problem as a flood that covered Mount Everest about 4,500 years ago at the same time the Egyptians were building pyramids.

No problem, because Mt Everest or any mountain nearly as high did not exist before the flood of Noah's time about 4500 years ago.
The mountain we call Mt Everest arose to its present height after the flood as valleys in the oceans sank to allow the waters to recede to uncover the land we see today because of underwater earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

You covered it with the deep as with a garment; The waters were standing above the mountains. At Your rebuke they fled, At the sound of Your thunder they hurried away. The mountains rose; the valleys sank down to the place which You established for them. You set a boundary that they may not pass over, so that they will not return to cover the earth.
(Psalms 104:6-9 NASB)

The arctic and antarctic polar regions resulted from the atmospheric changes after both the waters trapped under the earth and above the earth suddenly broke loose creating forty days and nights of rain for the first time in history and flooded the earth making the permanent change in climate over the earth from its original greenhouse like climate before the flood.

In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on the same day all the fountains of the great deep burst open, and the floodgates of the sky were opened.
(Genesis 7:11)

...the Lord God had not sent rain upon the earth...But a mist used to rise from the earth and water the whole surface of the ground.
(Genesis 2:5-6)

Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.
(Genesis 9:14-15)
Last edited by Hindsite on 06 Apr 2017 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Suntzu wrote:And Noah lived in a boat with two (actually 7) of every creature for more than a year. :lol:

There was one pair of every kind of air-breathing animal, with the exception of seven pairs for those animals which were considered clean to be eaten after the flood. The ark was more like an ocean liner with three decks than a boat.

Praise the Lord.
HalleluYah
Suntzu wrote:The Ark had about 100,000 square feet of deck space. The Titanic, by comparison, had about 800,000 square feet of deck space. The Titanic was small by modern standards.

Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you shall make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. You shall make a window for the ark, and finish it to a cubit from the top; and set the door of the ark in the side of it; you shall make it with lower, second, and third decks. Genesis 6:14-16 NASB)
It is said the an Egyptian cubit is about 25.2 inches. This ark had 3 decks so do the math.

I get 630 ft long x 104 ft wide x 63 ft high
If that is correct then each deck will be 65,520 square feet.
With 3 decks that would be a total of 196,560 square feet of deck space.

It doesn't say how many room he was to make, but I think that would hold a lot of animals and birds to start replenishing the earth.
I would bring mostly or maybe all young animals, so in a years time they will be ready for breeding.
Hindsite wrote:Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you shall make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. You shall make a window for the ark, and finish it to a cubit from the top; and set the door of the ark in the side of it; you shall make it with lower, second, and third decks. Genesis 6:14-16 NASB)
It is said the an Egyptian cubit is about 25.2 inches. This ark had 3 decks so do the math.

I get 630 ft long x 104 ft wide x 63 ft high
If that is correct then each deck will be 65,520 square feet.
With 3 decks that would be a total of 196,560 square feet of deck space.

It doesn't say how many room he was to make, but I think that would hold a lot of animals and birds to start replenishing the earth.
I would bring mostly or maybe all young animals, so in a years time they will be ready for breeding.

Converting cubits (300 X 50) to feet gives 450 ft long and 75 ft wide. Thats about 33,000 sq ft. Assuming three decks, there's your 100,000 sq feet.
Thats about 2.3 acres.

We took the grand kids to Whipsnade Zoo earlier this week. It's 600 acres, has around 2,500 species. And it needs supplies to be brought in - on a daily basis I think.

It puts Noah boarding around 8,700,000 plus supplies for nearly a year on to his mere two acres of deck into perspective.
You'll probably claim divine (supernatural) intervention.
Suntzu wrote:The Ark had about 100,000 square feet of deck space. The Titanic, by comparison, had about 800,000 square feet of deck space. The Titanic was small by modern standards.

Yes. And it was supposedly a 450 feet long wooden vessel.
We had wooden ships plying their trade all over the world. Economics dictated that they had to be as large and as fast as possible.
Shipwrights generally that the maximum viable length for a wooden ship is around 200 ft. The Cutty Sark, for example, is about 213 ft.
[quote="Hindsite"]No problem, because Mt Everest or any mountain nearly as high did not exist before the flood of Noah's time about 4500 years ago.
The mountain we call Mt Everest arose to its present height after the flood as valleys in the oceans sank to allow the waters to recede to uncover the land we see today because of underwater earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

By Hindsite -  06 Apr 2017, 12:28

They say that, "Religion is the opium of the people".

That must be some SHIT you are smoking Hindsite , pass it along please. :roll: :roll: :roll:
NOT for the first time do we have a 'physicist' endeavouring to bridge the schism between the realities that science defines & the nonsense that is called 'religion.

It appears, as usual, that this Schroeder mixes his 'religion' with his work in physics.

As anyone knows, there is simply no compatibility between objective reality & religiously induced speculative hypothesis that inhabit the pseudo-'scientific' other world of these people whose work is tainted by their religion.

There is a common thread within the scientific community, whereby some of them, whose 'careers' don't quite seem to take-off, generally, the unknown type with nothing to distinguish them apart from the rest of us, who then slide into the 'pseudo-scientific' garbage bin, whereby they make a career out of making narcotic induced controversial & fictional 'theories' that defy all logic.
That no-hoper , Schroeder , is just run-of-the-mill for his type, in America we have these 'imaginative' amateur types that claim to have observed 'aliens' (Area 51)or UFO's & then makeup all these fairy tales about them in great detail.

These people, like 'religious' folks, thrive on believing the 'mysteries' or 'miracles' around the religious story-telling, one day, just one day, they may wake up & 'smell-the-coffee'. :p :p
Besoeker wrote:Yes. And it was supposedly a 450 feet long wooden vessel.
We had wooden ships plying their trade all over the world. Economics dictated that they had to be as large and as fast as possible.
Shipwrights generally that the maximum viable length for a wooden ship is around 200 ft. The Cutty Sark, for example, is about 213 ft.

The Ark was not a ship but a barge so it did not have the stresses a sailing ship would have. Also no need to make it rounded. I was a big box with a single window just big enough to stick your head out of. The door was sealed by the hand of God which necessitated Noah dismantling the Ark to get out.
jakell wrote:Thought this would be under spirituality so it took me a while to find it, from the original thread:

Gerald Schroeder has a go at explaining why these two might not be contradictory:

I realise we are talking also of the history of the Universe here, but this and evolution tend to flow into each other. Most of the arguments tend to revolve around that fixed 6000yrs thing, but that's not even in the bible, put that aside and we can hopefully think more flexibly.

I do not know if he is correct or not, but it does maintain the young earth idea expressed by Genesis by maintaining that the days are truly normal days. If I remember correctly, there is about 17 to 19 instances in the Holy Bible that alludes to God stretching out the heavens. It is not clear if this refers to a single time or many times, but I have often thought that this might explain why astronomers looking into the heavens and using the currently calculated speed of light believe that the universe is billions of years old.

The writings is Genesis implies that the stars mentioned in Genesis !:4 were able to be viewed by man in the beginning. God stretching out the heavens like a stretchy fabric would effect both space and time according to Einstein. And with each stretching the stars would be moved away from each other as the heavens increased in size and also would also increase the time for light to travel between objects in the space, by the speed of light remained the as what it has been calculated today.

The mathematics he mentioned regarding objects in nature is sometimes called sacred geometry. Here is a video about it:

Sacred Geometry Fibonacci Sequence Explains Secret To Life

The rapes by Hamas, real or imagained are irreleva[…]

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia coul[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]