Had God Denounced Some Human "Paranoid" / "Crazy"? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
IIRC the Bible (Old Testament) did mention God cursing some people for their misconduct.

However, according to the teachings there, God is an entity of action, and such curses were usually highly precise and outcome-oriented. He probably has never used insults to denounce anybody.

I questioned another Member the following:
Patrickov wrote:I do not believe the Lord approves of denouncing people that do not share one's view as "paranoid" or "(left-wing) crazies", even if the person who said it is a near-genius.

To which the response is:
Hindsite wrote:That is because you don't know the Lord as I do.

Indeed I don't, because I cannot find any mentioning of God approving insult in the Bible.

Maybe some practitioners of Christianity can shed some more light in it?
Last edited by Patrickov on 07 Mar 2020 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus was a left-wing crazy who wanted people to have free healthcare.

Most people who claim they are Christian, especially on this forum are posers.

I can at least be honest in my agnostic atheist Buddhist Christianity. :)
Patrickov wrote:IIRC the Bible (Old Testament) did mention God cursing some people for their misconduct.

However, according to the teachings there, God is an entity of action, and such curses were usually highly precise and outcome-oriented. He probably has never used insults to denounce anybody.

I questioned another Member the following:

To which the response is:

Indeed I don't, because I cannot find any mentioning of God approving insult in the Bible.

I am not a practitioner of Christianity but I may be a bit of a sympathiser for Christians.

I believe insult may be a subjective experience. When a person offers an admonishment or a chastisement the recipient may choose to receive it as an insult. However if the admonishment was delivered with the intention of provoking the recipient to re-evaluate his conduct then that would seem to be an eminently Christian thing to do. It is practically an act of charity. Christianity is all about sorting right conduct from wrong conduct. The Christian is tasked with perfecting his own conduct but also that of his brother. A verbal chastisement though it may be received as an insult is a very mild thing really, for words do no physical damage, so if it is acceptable to deliver physical chastisements I hardly see the harm in verbal ones.
Godstud wrote:Jesus was a left-wing crazy who wanted people to have free healthcare.

Most people who claim they are Christian, especially on this forum are posers.

I can at least be honest in my agnostic atheist Buddhist Christianity. :)

I like Buddhism. I find it to be a great filler upper for the monotheistic gaps...as I’m sure all the other religions do to..

If only, we as humans could see that all the religions are just a giant patchwork of a great masterpiece.
Patrickov wrote:I cannot find any mentioning of God approving insult in the Bible.

In Matthew 23 alone, Jesus calls the scribes and Pharisees “hypocrites” six times. Besides that, he calls them “blind guides,” “blind fools,” “blind men,” “whitewashed tombs,” “sons of those who murdered the prophets,” “serpents,” and “brood of vipers.”

The following is an example in the gospel of Luke:

When Jesus had finished speaking, a Pharisee invited him to eat with him; so he went in and reclined at the table. But the Pharisee was surprised when he noticed that Jesus did not first wash before the meal.

Then the Lord said to him, “Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? But now as for what is inside you—be generous to the poor, and everything will be clean for you.

“Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.

“Woe to you Pharisees, because you love the most important seats in the synagogues and respectful greetings in the marketplaces.

“Woe to you, because you are like unmarked graves, which people walk over without knowing it.”

One of the experts in the law answered him, “Teacher, when you say these things, you insult us also.”

Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

“Woe to you, because you build tombs for the prophets, and it was your ancestors who killed them. So you testify that you approve of what your ancestors did; they killed the prophets, and you build their tombs. Because of this, God in his wisdom said, ‘I will send them prophets and apostles, some of whom they will kill and others they will persecute.’ Therefore this generation will be held responsible for the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the beginning of the world, from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the sanctuary. Yes, I tell you, this generation will be held responsible for it all.

“Woe to you experts in the law, because you have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered, and you have hindered those who were entering.”

When Jesus went outside, the Pharisees and the teachers of the law began to oppose him fiercely and to besiege him with questions, waiting to catch him in something he might say.
(Luke 11:37-53 NIV)

Praise the Lord.
:lol: I am sure that @Hindsite doesn't understand anything he posts, when it comes to Christianity or the Bible. He just quotes passages without knowing what they actually mean.
Godstud wrote::lol: I am sure that @Hindsite doesn't understand anything he posts, when it comes to Christianity or the Bible. He just quotes passages without knowing what they actually mean.

How so? The passage he quoted seems relevant to the topic of this thread. Besides which, I like the way this Jesus fellow was talking to the rich and powerful despite the fact that they were trying to curry favour with him because of his popular following. Jesus said we would always have the poor with us, but by the same token we will always have the rich and powerful bastards with us too, trying to use religion to give their greed and egotism a veneer of respectability.
Godstud wrote::lol: I am sure that @Hindsite doesn't understand anything he posts, when it comes to Christianity or the Bible. He just quotes passages without knowing what they actually mean.

It looks more like you did not understand what he posted. I read it and he was on point.
He has some idea that Jesus was saying that it's OK to be a rich cunt. He interprets it differently from what you do, and that's why I say that. You haven't been paying attention to his posts, like I have, so I can see why you'd have missed that. :D
Godstud wrote:He has some idea that Jesus was saying that it's OK to be a rich cunt. He interprets it differently from what you do, and that's why I say that. You haven't been paying attention to his posts, like I have, so I can see why you'd have missed that. :D

Looks like the pharisees are still around...

When Jesus went outside, the Pharisees and the teachers of the law began to oppose him fiercely and to besiege him with questions, waiting to catch him in something he might say.
Godstud wrote:He has some idea that Jesus was saying that it's OK to be a rich cunt. He interprets it differently from what you do, and that's why I say that. You haven't been paying attention to his posts, like I have, so I can see why you'd have missed that. :D

Sorry, I must have missed the part where he added that comment to his quotation.
Godstud wrote:@Potemkin This is not the first time that he has used that passage, and I doubt it'll be the last.

So? I rather like that passage myself.
It's not the passage that is the problem, but his interpretation of it, and what he thinks it says. Essentially, don't worry about the poor, since there'll always be poor people. It's not a call for apathy(like he suggests), but for action.
Godstud wrote:It's not the passage that is the problem, but his interpretation of it, and what he thinks it says. Essentially, don't worry about the poor, since there'll always be poor people. It's not a call for apathy(like he suggests), but for action.

Did you actually read the passage that he quoted? Because I don't think you did. :eh:

By the way, it was I who mentioned Jesus saying that the poor would always be with us, in order to take a dig at the rich (as is my wont). This is not in the passage quoted by Hindsite.
I admit, I might have turned off at the Bible quotes by Hindsite. It's normally quite the rubbish and he talks shit about religion, constantly. He's a poser.
Hindsite wrote:In Matthew 23 alone, Jesus calls the scribes and Pharisees “hypocrites” six times. Besides that, he calls them “blind guides,” “blind fools,” “blind men,” “whitewashed tombs,” “sons of those who murdered the prophets,” “serpents,” and “brood of vipers.”

The following is an example in the gospel of Luke:

When Jesus had finished speaking, a Pharisee invited him to eat with him; so he went in and reclined at the table. But the Pharisee was surprised when he noticed that Jesus did not first wash before the meal.

Then the Lord said to him, “Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? But now as for what is inside you—be generous to the poor, and everything will be clean for you.

“Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.

“Woe to you Pharisees, because you love the most important seats in the synagogues and respectful greetings in the marketplaces.

“Woe to you, because you are like unmarked graves, which people walk over without knowing it.”

One of the experts in the law answered him, “Teacher, when you say these things, you insult us also.”

Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

“Woe to you, because you build tombs for the prophets, and it was your ancestors who killed them. So you testify that you approve of what your ancestors did; they killed the prophets, and you build their tombs. Because of this, God in his wisdom said, ‘I will send them prophets and apostles, some of whom they will kill and others they will persecute.’ Therefore this generation will be held responsible for the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the beginning of the world, from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the sanctuary. Yes, I tell you, this generation will be held responsible for it all.

“Woe to you experts in the law, because you have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered, and you have hindered those who were entering.”

(Luke 11:37-53 NIV)

Praise the Lord.

The Christ described, quite specifically, what actions the Pharisees had done to justify His curses, and what woe should happen to them. With knowledge of what actually happened afterwards, the Christ had indeed made a real curse (just as what God had done to Cain, Canaan or others) instead of a mere insult with no significance.
Godstud wrote:I admit, I might have turned off at the Bible quotes by Hindsite. It's normally quite the rubbish and he talks shit about religion, constantly. He's a poser.

In contrast with you, of course, who conscientiously reads every post very carefully before commenting thoughtfully and constructively on it. Hmm? :)
Patrickov wrote:The Christ described, quite specifically, what actions the Pharisees had done to justify His curses, and what woe should happen to them. With knowledge of what actually happened afterwards, the Christ had indeed made a real curse (just as what God had done to Cain, Canaan or others) instead of a mere insult with no significance.

Jesus may or may not have been 'insulting' the Pharisees, but he certainly offended them, and he clearly intended to offend them.
Potemkin wrote:Jesus may or may not have been 'insulting' the Pharisees, but he certainly offended them, and he clearly intended to offend them.

As I mentioned at the beginning, the Lord does offend whoever not behaving righteously.

The difference between what the Lord does to bad people and what Member Hindsite had done to "paranoid (left-wing) crazies", is that the Lord explains to us why the cursed deserve it, but I fail to see Member Hindsite doing the same.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls No. Your perception of it is not. I g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'd be totally happy for us to send ground troop i[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's promo[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]